Book recommendations

Have you read “Homage to Catalonia” by Orwell? That and “Down & Out in Paris and London” are great autobiographical reads.

I really liked “Tribe” as well.

“Catch 22” 👍
I have not, but will definitely check them out!

Ouzel

FNG
Journal of a Trapper, by Osborne Russell.
Tough trip through Paradise, by Andrew Garcia
Maneaters of Kumamoto, by Jim Corbett

Ouzel

JJJ

Lil-Rokslider
If you get tired of reading,
And are into history and the old west,
On Spotify Legends of the Old West
Is a good podcast.
It covers legends like little big horn,
Billie the kid, etc
Breaks down the story into several segments that could easily pass a half day.
Not what you asked for but I enjoy it for passing time

MT257

WKR
If you get tired of reading,
And are into history and the old west,
On Spotify Legends of the Old West
Is a good podcast.
It covers legends like little big horn,
Billie the kid, etc
Breaks down the story into several segments that could easily pass a half day.
Not what you asked for but I enjoy it for passing time
This podcast is great I’ve listened to some multiple times.

Reactions: JJJ

DuckDogDr

WKR
I've been trying to get back into reading, so I've started this book which came highly recommended.

So far it's been good.

Endurance: Shackleton's Incredible Voyage
Book by Alfred Lansing

"is a 1959 book written by Alfred Lansing, about the failure of the Imperial Trans-Antarctic Expedition led by Sir Ernest Shackleton, in its attempt to cross the Antarctic continent in 1914."
The deckhand on my last spear fishing trip actually was talking about Shackleton this weekend. He met his grand son on a dive boat / tournament ..
Got a copy of the book said was a good read

Pro953

WKR
This is one of the more interesting list I have come across. I prefer non-fiction, but some of the iconic fiction is a good read. I have read though most of them now. Skeletons on the Zahara was a great surprise. I also enjoyed blood river.

A small tip if you are a active reader and ok with buying off Amazon. When you look up a book, check out the listing for used books. A lot of older books you can find used copies for a few dollars vs the full jacket price. If you read a lot it can save you a ton.

Hoodie

WKR
Maneaters of Kumaon. I’d hate for people to think Corbett was hunting maneaters in Japan. ;-).

A great book!

Jim Corbett is underrated. His stuff is easily as good as Peter Capstick and is far less embellished from what I've heard. Gave me a new respect for leopards.

The whole John Patterson story of the two lions in Tsavo that ate a ton of railroad workers is probably the most famous story about hunting man-eaters, but that dude comes off totally incompetent compared to Corbett.

ODB

WKR
Jim Corbett is underrated. His stuff is easily as good as Peter Capstick and is far less embellished from what I've heard. Gave me a new respect for leopards.

The whole John Patterson story of the two lions in Tsavo that ate a ton of railroad workers is probably the most famous story about hunting man-eaters, but that dude comes off totally incompetent compared to Corbett.

Agree 100%. One thing I think is funny about corbett is the number of times he doesn’t take enough ammo. There are several times he heads out with a small handful of rounds and runs out. He was just a normal dude doing his thing, and wasn’t arming up to with bandoliers of ammo. Many of the early white hunters in Kenya knew corbett when he lived in Nyeri. I’m sure they heard some great stories.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
Due to this thread, I picked up the audio book versions of Neptune's Inferno and Shattered Sword. Both are outstanding, still working on Shattered Sword. Finished Neptune's Inferno on my drive home from the lower 48.

Phaseolus

WKR
Thanks @SWOHTR and @isItFallYet , I just ordered Endurance and The Last Stand of Fox Company. Both these seem right up my alley! This will help me read more this year, which I always want to do.
Martin Russ’s book ‘Breakout’ details the whole Chosin Reservoir campaign including Fox Company’s stand and is well worth the read. And if you like both of those you ought to read, “Colder than Hell, a Marine Rifle Company at Chosin Reservoir”.

Clarktar

WKR
Mawsons Will: polar survival story. Soo good.

Wings on the water: all about Bud Conkle

The physcology of money

Arctic wilderness

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

BWSmith

FNG
I have right at 100$ a month book habit.... 95% non fiction.

"The American System to Mass Production 1800-1932" by,David A Hounshell

There's a whole chapter on early firearm processes that makes the 20$ used price justified. It should also tie in how other "goods" production, influenced worldwide markets..... especially when viewed from how durn important firearms were in this period. It's one of those books that every college engineering student "should" be reading but...... gets passed over because of "those evil guns"(guns being near the top of the list of importance,engineering wise).

Screenshot_20220408-031533_Gallery.jpg

Only pic,gave the book to #4 son....