Bookcliffs question

I should be in the Max Pool this year and I am kinda planning on pulling this tag. I have done my research on where I want to hunt, and all that, and I am not asking on where I can go to shoot a 170" buck. I just want some opinions or advise on a camping spot. Im sure things will make a lot more since once i get there, but I like to have a plan on where I will probably stay. Im planning on hunting around the North access area to the roadless area, around 10 mile Knoll. I would hate to set up camp around 10 mile Knoll and find out that I am that dummy that set up camp in a area that should be hunted and not camped in.

Plus, where is the best town to restock in if I stay around the North end of the Roadless area? Vernal, or head down the Bookcliff Road south and hit Mack????

Last edited:

bohntr

WKR
I drew this tag two years ago......when you draw, PM me and I'll tell you everything I know on the unit. There's some camp spots near there.....nearest supply town is a ways.

amp713

WKR
I live in roosevelt, 30 min from vernal, spend a lot of time out there and should draw this year as well. PM me if you wanna talk but last worry you should have is camp spots unless you pull a camper down. Millions of places to drop tent camps cuz there are millions of roads... I don't go the colorado way but you are an hour from 10 mile to pavement if you drive super slow then you are 30 min to a small town near pelican lake with a small convenience store. You need to be prepared to make it 7 days without any sort of store visit or you will waste a lot of time driving. And if you plan to be at 10 mile you better bring chains and tow ropes. Also bring spare tires

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't believe you can get anything in Mack so you'd end up in Fruita if you head that direction

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
Thats a long nasty road you are talking about...have you been on it?

Have some good tires....and a good spare.I would bring everything you need...don't want to restock once you are all the way in there.

Some decent deer in there that would make 170 BTW....but no giants that I've seen.

npm352

WKR
I drew the muzzleloader tag in 2016 and hunted off the top and camped on the top. I came in from the north end. I didn't catch if you were hunting rifle, muzzy or bow. Muzzy and bow they are concentrated on top....rifle different story. I did not have to restock food.

It rained a bunch (which hurt glassing ability with low clouds) and I spent a lot if time on a four- wheeler covering ground. I do not like road hunting and was able to do some short hikes to glassing points, but covering a lot of ground is the best way to hunt because there are so many deer to look over.

I killed a 160-165 buck at 25 yards that was really old. He was the best I saw and was happy to take him. Expect over 100 deer a day and 15-20 4x4s to look at. Most are young. Still a really fun hunt as I am not much of a trophy hunter.

Also, when it rained hardly anyone hunted. They just stayed around their camps. It was awesome.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J120A using Tapatalk

Nothing in Mack anymore. The liquor store and little convenience store closed. You will for sure have to come to Fruita or Grand Junction. I go over the the Utah Bookcliffs a lot. As mentioned above camp spots are easy to come by (some better than others). If you already have an area that you are wanting to hunt, finding a camp spot close by shouldn't be a problem unless you are pulling a camper. I would not got up the San Arroyo rd with a camper. Hay Canyon is doable with a camper, usually, unless there is a gully washer that can destroy the road clear out into the desert in most cases. Usually they are pretty quick to repair due to the oil field all over that area. Not to familiar with the roads coming in from the north side. I would do my best to make sure you have everything so you don't have to come to town. Good luck!

OP
fire arrow
Thanks everyone for the advise. I’ll be pull a Jumping Jack with a quad on it. So I’ll keep my fingers crossed that I will be able to get back to My spot without any real issues. I wasn’t sure how long ice, and gas would last out there. That’s the only reason why is was asking about where to go for a restock. It took me 13 years to get to this point to get to where I “should be” in the max points pool and I can take a few weeks off from work to try and find a good buck.

I have no false dreams of hunting a 180 or better buck in this area, even though I’m sure they are there. I just know from other people that have hunted the area with an archery tag, what my realistic expectations are. Other than having a real good time, and thing past that is icing on top of the cake.

I’ll probably spend some time looking into the roadless area, because I should be able to hopefully pull the bull tag there in a few years.

bowuntr

WKR
13 years and you're in the max pool? If you have 13 points you have a chance to draw... You're about 2 or 3 points behind. Ed F

OP
fire arrow
13 years and you're in the max pool? If you have 13 points you have a chance to draw... You're about 2 or 3 points behind. Ed F

Unmmmmm. I might be wrong on this, depending on where you look, but last year 13 points was max points for NR archery? Not trying to start any BS or argument. I’m going off of last years Epic Outdoors draw odds. Please don’t take offense, I just figured them boys put a lot of time into posting what is ~98% correct. Past that if I don’t draw this year, I will not be the guy stomping his feet and yelling damn them and that.

Plus if I don’t draw it will give me time to make a decision on a new quad or SXS. Glass is always half full, and keeping every finger and toe crossed.

Last edited:

bowuntr

WKR
No worries... I'm as frustrated as you might be. I have 14 points and am chasing point creep for the Bookcliffs non resident archery tag. Take a look at this chart, page 21. Last year 2 applicants had 15 points and they both drew. 6 had 14 and only 2 drew out. That means 4 of those will have 15 this year. We're a few points behind... but there's always hope. Ed F

https://wildlife.utah.gov/hunting/biggame/pdf/2017/17_big_game_odds_report.pdf

Takem

WKR
Fire Arrow I think you have a couple of years yet. My brother and I drew that tag last year with 14 points and It looked like quite a few others with 14 did not draw it. We gave them back last year because we also drew a Nevada tag. We're back in this year with 15 points and we're thinking we have about a 70% chance. Good luck

OP
fire arrow
No worries... I'm as frustrated as you might be. I have 14 points and am chasing point creep for the Bookcliffs non resident archery tag. Take a look at this chart, page 21. Last year 2 applicants had 15 points and they both drew. 6 had 14 and only 2 drew out. That means 4 of those will have 15 this year. We're a few points behind... but there's always hope. Ed F

https://wildlife.utah.gov/hunting/biggame/pdf/2017/17_big_game_odds_report.pdf
After rereading a few things I now see that I am wrong. I will be in the back row with Bob Uecker crossing my fingers in the random pool. Looks like I should have put in for the archery tag I know I could have pulled in NV. Especially reading what Takem just posted. O well, there is always a General Deer tag in UT I can hopefully draw. Good luck to everyone in the draw.

Takem

WKR
Well... That means 6 will have 15 this year... darn. Ed F

Sorry bowuntr. I wonder who got our tags last year? I'm assuming they go to the highest point holders first but I don't know. If we draw this and our Colorado tags we're giving these back again this year.

bowuntr

WKR
So, you can turn your tag in anytime before the season starts... Who do the tags go to, the next in line? So, some lucky, unlucky guy gets a few days or hours to make a decision and plan his hunt... I don't like that at all... Not bagging on you, I just think that is wrong. So someone in the max point pool can draw a premium tag every single year and decide later if he wants to hunt or not... essentially taking and holding on to the tag from someone else. Not your fault Takem... but that stinks. Ed F

Takem

WKR
So, you can turn your tag in anytime before the season starts... Who do the tags go to, the next in line? So, some lucky, unlucky guy gets a few days or hours to make a decision and plan his hunt... I don't like that at all... Not bagging on you, I just think that is wrong. So someone in the max point pool can draw a premium tag every single year and decide later if he wants to hunt or not... essentially taking and holding on to the tag from someone else. Not your fault Takem... but that stinks. Ed F

Yeah I believe it is up to 30 days before the start of the season. I agree it's great if you're in my situation but overall it's not a good system. When you give the tag back you get just about a full refund plus your points including one for the year you drew the tag. I'm not sure where the tag goes after that. I had assumed they contact people with the highest points who didn't draw.

For us there's a good chance this is the only premium Utah tag we'll ever get so there's no hurry to cash in the points to start collecting more. We get our Colorado hunt every other year or possibly every two years. It's better for us to use the Colorado tag if we get it and start collecting points again and wait another year for the Book Cliffs. I would feel the same way you do if I was in your position.

bowuntr

WKR
It is what it is... I read the regs and it does say up to 30 days before the season. I hope you draw your Co tag and I'm one of the lucky ones who gets the call! Good luck. Ed F