Booked for 2021! Alaska Goat

Hi All, Me and a good buddy just booked a Mountain Goat hunt in Alaska near Cordova. We couldn't be more excited and this is my first trip to AK. This is kind of last minute-ish as we were hoping to draw a tag but didn't. I am sure I will have a ton of questions, but my first is geared toward flights. We are planning on flying Alaska Airlines. I have read much that they offer a piece of mind when it comes to familiarity with hunters traveling. Is it worth getting their credit card this close to the hunt? We go out 9/29 and return 10/8 flying out of St. Louis. It might be more headache than its worth given I wouldn't get the companion pass for a while now because you have to earn points first. And the flights that use points don't seem as good as the more direct flights. For example, a flight is 11.5 hours for departure but since american airlines flies the first leg, it doesn't qualify for points etc. So all the points flights are >24 hours. Anyone have any opinions on that?

Second, they recommend chest waders for the hunt and if we kill early can do some salmon fishing. Thoughts on that and what to look for? The only waders I have used are my insulated waterfowl waders.

Any way, so excited I couldn't sleep last night!

daddie63

WKR
Sorry I can’t be of any help but offer you congrats. I’d be excited as hell too. Beat of luck and look forward to your story of you post it.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I probably wouldn't break the bank on waders unless you want a nice pair when you are done with your hunt. If you do want a nice pair, Most guys I know up here use the simms g3. If not, you can do pretty well with a pair of breathable caddis waders.

Who did you book with? Sam? Dennis?

The AA credit card is a pretty good card to have, even if you can only use the companion rate once, then cancel it. If you plan more trips to AK, it could be money well spent.

Either way, I'd follow whatever gear list they give to you. If waders are listed, they're likely needed for some portion of the hunt and I'd recommend something from Simms.

buzzy

WKR
You have to spend a small amount of money to get the companion ticket once you get their credit card. To me it’s more than worth it. You also get your first bag checked for free so that’s a $30 savings each way right there. I think the card for a year cost $75.

Sounds like you have plenty of time to put some money on that card to get the companion ticket but if you go a different route I’d still fly Alaska because their third thru tenth checked bag cost $100 each and they can way up to 100 pounds. That’s a huge savings if you plan on bringing back meat and a cape or horns etc.

OP
ryjack70ss
Who did you book with? Sam? Dennis?

The AA credit card is a pretty good card to have, even if you can only use the companion rate once, then cancel it. If you plan more trips to AK, it could be money well spent.

Either way, I'd follow whatever gear list they give to you. If waders are listed, they're likely needed for some portion of the hunt and I'd recommend something from Simms.

Thanks everyone. I am sure I will spout questions as the come up. We are hunting with Lonesome Dove Outfitters. Have only seen positive feedback so far. If anyone has any advice on his hunt I am all ears. And smiles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sniper61

Lil-Rokslider
Get light wait waders. They will be used to enter and exit the plane or boat ,you will be using one or both of them on that hunt. You will change to your mountain boots for the climb up, then you will be wearing gaiters and sometimes crampons on the slippery snot grass. Fished for about 4 days and never wore the waders or needed them. Start haggling with your taxi now you will get a better price then waiting and showing up with it in October.

OP
ryjack70ss
Well bummer. My buddy is having spine surgery so we are postponing until 2022. I hope he recovers well. We’re still fairly young so he should. Now I have to find something else in the fall or I spend even more time worrying about gear etc!!! The guide has been great to work with though. I guess I’ll just stick to white tail this year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Jimss

WKR
Bummer about your buddy! AA card is definitely worth it! I've saved a pile of $ over the years on extra freight charges. Usually when you sign up you get a pile of points once you spend a certain amount of $ in the first few months. That alone paid for a couple of my airline flights. The over head bays for baggage storage are a bit bigger than some airlines. I always carry on around a 65 lb pack plus another bag with my cameras, spotter, binos, etc. It's a pain bringing through the airports but saves a bunch of $. Last trip I brought home around 350 lbs of meat, capes, skulls, gear, etc. I've learned quite a few other things over the years to save $ on airline fees.

sniper61

Lil-Rokslider
Do not put it off . The next time may never come. My younger brother by 10 years passed away Monday night after fishing on lake erie all day in his brand new boat, He picked up last week. Never partied or drank . We do not get to pick when it is over.

WRM

WKR
Do not put it off . The next time may never come. My younger brother by 10 years passed away Monday night after fishing on lake erie all day in his brand new boat, He picked up last week. Never partied or drank . We do not get to pick when it is over.

Damn--reality check for all.

Sorry to hear it.

bill_eb

FNG
What does Dennis get for a goat hunt these days and what are the Draw odds for a tag in the zone that he hunts (NR)?

OP
ryjack70ss
He was not in a draw area for our hunt. He was very good price but we booked a cancellation hunt. Now we are postponing bc my partner is having surgery. So the price went up to regular. It’s pricey but about middle of the road from what I see. Wish I was going in October it I’ll have to keep perseveration on Rokslide until 2022. Since I have a year, I would love to pick everyone’s brain about my gear I have accumulated and what I should take, leave at home, or upgrade.

OP
ryjack70ss

Wow. Sorry brother. I wouldn’t be able to sleep though knowing I was going with a good friend and he couldn’t bc if his surgery. I will go next year either way. Again. Sorry for your loss. In my prayers.