Books- Western/Plains Indians

Voyageur

WKR
The Journey of Crazy Horse by Joseph M. Marshall III
Excellent book written from the Lakota perspective.

303TrophyHusband

Lil-Rokslider
Aside from what's been already mentioned, if you haven't read Empire of the Summer Moon you should, SC Gwynne did a great job with that book.

Legend: Life and Adventures of Frank Grouard, he was one of the most respected Army scout, among the natives and the Army
Killing Crazy Horse, don't like Bill O'Reilly all that much but it gives some brief history on several native tribes
Son of the Morning Star is a long one but it is a fantastic book about all the players in the Battle of the Little Bighorn from both sides
My Sixty Years on the Plains is also a great book about Mountain Men/Native relations and other stuff

Several books above that I'm going to read, thanks for the suggestions!

WCB

WKR
Undaunted Courage is a must read
Son of the Morning Star
Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee
Red Clouds War
38 Nooses
Powder River Country (not native American but very interesting historical western stories)
The War on the Powder River

I have about 50 more I have read...Also if you get a chance or want an adventure I have sought out some of the lessor known battle sights and paid them a visit during the summer. It is really cool to read about these events then go to where they occurred. Happened to hunt right by where Chief Joseph was surrounded and visited that but I have been to a few that are literally just small markers on section line trails in the middle of nowhere.

Last edited:

Hoodie

WKR
Guns germs and steel is another great one, it isn't about native Americans but is about the evolution of human society and written by an evolutionary biologist

If I had to make up a curriculum to teach a person as much as possible about everything in 5 books or fewer, this would absolutely be the number one book on the list.

The dude basically achieves a coherent explanation of the entire history of human civilization in 500 pages.

Like you mentioned it isn´t about Native Americans exclusively, but it completely changed my understanding of how things played out in North America. Should be required reading for high school seniors.

Hoodie

WKR
If you´re looking for entertaining historical fiction, Little Big Man by Thomas Berger is great. Probably my second favorite western novel behind Lonesome Dove.

lyingflatlander

Lil-Rokslider
Related. Killing Custer. Written before all the other titles of “Killing _____”. It was authored by a member of the Blackfoot nation. The author lived out east earned a PHD and wanted to learn about his lost culture as he wasn’t raised in it. Covers a number of the great Indian wars.

ODB

WKR
Related. Killing Custer. Written before all the other titles of “Killing _____”. It was authored by a member of the Blackfoot nation. The author lived out east earned a PHD and wanted to learn about his lost culture as he wasn’t raised in it. Covers a number of the great Indian wars.

My wife’s great, great, uncle died with Custer. His name is on the memorial there.

a great book about my Osage ancestors is David Grann’s Killers of the Flower Moon. It talks about when the Osage became some of the richest people on earth due to mineral rights and the subsequent murders and government “oversight” that occurred because of it.

Empire of the Summer Moon
Blood and Thunder

Crazy Horse and Custer was good, but I think Son of the Morning Star has more detail.

Wooden Leg is really interesting.

Undaunted Courage has some good indian interactions in it.

Ever think you were born about 200 years too late?

If you´re looking for entertaining historical fiction, Little Big Man by Thomas Berger is great. Probably my second favorite western novel behind Lonesome Dove.
Love both those books (and movies).... "Black Hills" by Dan Simmons is really great too. Just recently re-read Dances With Wolves, it's interesting how much the book differs from movie (tribe in book are Comanche, not Sioux)...

Love both those books (and movies).... "Black Hills" by Dan Simmons is really great too. Just recently re-read Dances With Wolves, it's interesting how much the book differs from movie (tribe in book are Comanche, not Sioux)...

How did you like the Dances With Wolves book? I listened to the audiobook and was extremely disappointed, considering my favorite movie of all time is Dances with Wolves

OP
coloyooper
Can someone post a link to the other book thread. I looked through it before but can't seem to locate it now.

I think this was the one.

How did you like the Dances With Wolves book? I listened to the audiobook and was extremely disappointed, considering my favorite movie of all time is Dances with Wolves
It's ok. Not the greatest literature in the world, but it did inspire the movie, for that I'm grateful!

Empire of the Summer Moon
Blood and Thunder

Crazy Horse and Custer was good, but I think Son of the Morning Star has more detail.

Wooden Leg is really interesting.

Undaunted Courage has some good indian interactions in it.

Ever think you were born about 200 years too late?

“All America lies at the end of the wilderness road, and our past is not a dead past, but still lives in us. Our forefathers had civilization inside themselves, the wild outside. We live in the civilization they created, but within us the wilderness still lingers. What they dreamed, we live, and what they lived, we dream.”

T. K. Whipple