Boot choice - Salomon and Asolo?

PriceTA13

FNG
Hello all,

First off I know that boot choice is very specific to each person, so I am not asking best boot. I just looked at the GoHunt boot flex page which includes their suggestion of some good boots that fall under each stiffness. Between reading their description and talking with my doctor I have decided to look for boots that would fall under the GoHunt 3-ish flex range. I noticed they didn't list any Asolo or Salomons, and I don't see to many posts about them here either. Do they not stack up when compared to Zamberlan, Crispi, Salewa, Hanwag, Scarpa, Lowa, or La Sportiva?

The boots GoHunt lists in the 3 range are as follows. Feel free to let me know your experiences with these boots. I won't be doing any sheep hunting, but a long lifespan and waterproof would sure be nice. This would be my first high dollar pair of boots.

CRISPI Thor 2 and Nevada's
Salewa mountain trainer
Hanwag alverstone 2 and makra combi
Scarpa zodiac plus

Thanks for your time,

bootheeltechy

Lil-Rokslider
Bought my first high end hunting boots a couple years back and really had a hard time making a decision too. Best advice is to find stores that carry the brands your looking at and go try them on and see what feels the best. In my case the nearest store was half a days drive away! In the end though it was well worth the effort, wound up trying on all but two brands I wanted to try and walked out in a pair of Asolo TPS 520. They were expensive but still dont regret not only buying the Asolos but also buying from a small family owned buisness! As for the Asolos themselves, if your foot is medium to narrow width you'll probably like them real well. IMO Asolo boots, at least the one's I tried on anyway, seem built narrow.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Salomons wear like a tennis shoe. My Asolo hunter GV are stiff as can be. Those are my only two boots and work really well to cover pretty much all my bases.

Prairiekid

Lil-Rokslider
Salomon are awesome for hiking, but for hiking trails that are well used and when you want to move fast. If you are going to be sheep or goat hunting you're going to want something a bit more durable but also stiffer for when you're walking on the side of a hill for example.

CO-AJ

WKR
I have the Asolo Fugitive GTX and love them. I have owned them for about 4 years and they don't show much signs of wear except for the soles which of course show wear. Very comfortable, appear very durable, and they are pretty stiff. They did require a bit of a break-in which really amounted to walking a bunch of fields in KS doing some bird hunting. They are stiffer and are not a tennis shoe feel, but once broken in are very nice.

OP
P

PriceTA13

FNG
Thanks for the replies. I've got an REI within an hour of me where I should be able to try most of them on, I just have to out live this Covid crap... I wear 9 wide normally. I have a fairly narrow heel but my pinky toe tends to rub if I'm not in a wide. I'm not worried about having to spend the money or break then in if they will last a few seasons.

_Scooter_

Lil-Rokslider
All the boots you listed are great. More of a matter of finding what fits your foot best.

Why not just order a bunch and try them on in the comfort of your own home since you cant really go out and try them on in the stores. You won't be rushed and won't have to make a decision like you would while you're in the store or make return trips to try them on a gain if you didn't decide the first time.

You'll may have to pay a small fee to ship the ones back that you want to return, but that's a small price to pay to evaluate them at home for while, plus many retailers have their boots on sale right now and there's really good deals. I picked up a pair of $330 Scarpa for under $246. Ordered two sizes, cost be $6.95 to return the pair that didn't fit.

Ripnbst

FNG
Buying multiple pairs of different brands and in different sizes is what I would recommend as well. Wear them around the house and in the driveway, maybe walk around the yard on nice weather days to see what you like best and return the rest. Could have about $1000 +/- wrapped up in boots for a short time but ultimately it will be worth it in the end.

I think the Crispi Thor is the only boot/shoe I have tried on in a long long time where I was a little blown away by the fit and comfort. Traction feels amazing to. I’m trying to find them in my size for the best deal right now.

I bought a pair of Asolo Purmoris in 2013 and have put hundreds of miles on them since. They did develop minor separation at the toe cap/rand after a few years, but I was able to fix that easily enough. They're still waterproof and are my go-to boots for off-trail hiking and/or backpacking with significant weight. Fit and flex are highly subjective and I can't really comment on how Asolo compares in those regards, but I think their overall quality ranks right up there with other top brands.

OP
P

PriceTA13

FNG
Ordering a few pairs to try at home doesn't sound like a bad route to go, but that will likely be round 2 of the search with round one being narrowing my options enough I don't have to sell the car to pay for them all.

TBHasler

WKR
I think the Crispi Thor is the only boot/shoe I have tried on in a long long time where I was a little blown away by the fit and comfort. Traction feels amazing to. I’m trying to find them in my size for the best deal right now.

This...Thor’s have been my favorite thus far. GoHunt doesn’t carry Asolo’s so I assume they give examples for stiffness rating on lines they do carry and want you to buy.

I have Asolo fugitives and Hunter GV and they are both excellent boots. They do run narrower in footbox.

Lots a great options on the market - try on as many as you can and buy when on sale/discounted. Only thing better than $350 boots that fit like they were made just for you is getting same boot for $250

I have several pairs of Asolo and love every one of them.. My favorite (a little stiffer, but rally support ankles well) are their 535 non goretex.. I waterproof and condition them regularly and they are absolute tanks and a pleasue to own/wear in the field..

Nutsknr

FNG
Sierra trading post carries a few types of Asolos.

my son hates insulated boots, and high lace boots. So the lightweight Asolos (neutron?) has been his hunting boot each year for the last few. Good deal on Sierra IF you are looking for the limited sizes they have.

JB64

Lil-Rokslider
Asolo makes a great product. I have worn the Asolo TPV 520s in eastern Afghanistan and I can promise you that those mountains will destroy boots. My experience with them was incredible. We frequently maneuvered at night under NVGs and after a couple weeks, other guys in my team/section were ordering either the same boot or a similar one. I had sure footing under heavy loads (armor, kit, ruck) while others would slide and have to use a hand to catch themselves.

I’m currently testing (for myself) the Crispi Thor’s, it’s a solid boot. Something in between the Asolo 520 and the Fugitive, great ankle support, slightly stiff with a generous toe box (my arch has dropped according to the flight surgeon on my last flight physical) so I appreciate the room. The Thors feel robust and durable but also heavy.
Definitely check out Asolo tho and support those local businesses.

I have worn the Asolo TPV 520s in eastern Afghanistan and I can promise you that those mountains will destroy boots. My experience with them was incredible.

I was interested in looking at the Asolo, but I couldn't find the TPV 520. I found some TPS 520, but they are an all leather boot. Is it similar to the one you describe??

JB64

Lil-Rokslider
I was interested in looking at the Asolo, but I couldn't find the TPV 520. I found some TPS 520, but they are an all leather boot. Is it similar to the one you describe??

My apologies, I mistyped there, you are correct, TPS 520s. REI should carry them if you can't find a local business that does.

TBHasler

WKR
Thors are 1.25 lbs ea, for the support and stiffness and materials used, that’s a pretty light weight boot in my experience.