Boot Comfort

Let me start by saying I hate buying footwear so I wear stuff until it disintegrates.

I’ve been on somewhat of a boot odyssey since my Moab 2s killed my toes on a 12-mile Ozark hike. I don’t know the exact number, but I’ve tried on over 20 boots from all the big brands from Salomon through Kenetrek. At this point, I’m between the Meindl Vakuum’s (new version of the Denali) and the ubiquitous Quest 4D 3 GTX. Those two are the only ones that seemed to lock my heel down well, even after trying different lacing techniques with the others. I should add, these boots will be for general year-round hiking (mostly Ozarks) in addition to hunting.

Now here’s my question, I hear all these people talking about how boot X is the “most comfortable thing they’ve ever owned”. While most boots I tried on were not uncomfortable, they were all noticeably less desirable than a pair of low end Asic trail runners. Do I just need to change my expectations? Are these “fancy” boots just never going to feel like a running shoe (differences in weight aside)?

Honestly, I have a pair of Muckmasters (high model) that are probably more comfortable than most of these boots. I’ve worn those for 2-3 mile bushwhacking hikes and never had foot discomfort...

majority of the boots i’ve owned have felt significantly better after moderate use and breaking them in. i’ve never really expected a boot to feel like a tennis shoe though.

ChrisAU

WKR
@ElkNut1 talked me into trying the UA Infil Ops boots...they are very close to sneaker comfort. Scarily so. After a weighted hike with them this morning I’m starting to side with him and think for once UA lucked up and did something right.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Now here’s my question, I hear all these people talking about how boot X is the “most comfortable thing they’ve ever owned”. While most boots I tried on were not uncomfortable, they were all noticeably less desirable than a pair of low end Asic trail runners. Do I just need to change my expectations? Are these “fancy” boots just never going to feel like a running shoe (differences in weight aside)?

Why not just wear trail runners? Despite the nonsense to the contrary, you don’t need a plastic mountaineering boot to walk on a trail. Or off of a trail. With the few people I work and hunt with the Frank Church elk, New Zealand Tahr and Chamios, Alaska goats and sheep; Montana, Colorado and Wyoming Elk and Mule Deer, New Mexico Aoudads and Ibex, etc, etc. with trail shoes minimalist footwear.

Train your feet and don’t worry about it.

OP
G
Why not just wear trail runners? Despite the nonsense to the contrary, you don’t need a plastic mountaineering boot to walk on a trail. Or off of a trail. With the few people I work and hunt with the Frank Church elk, New Zealand Tahr and Chamios, Alaska goats and sheep; Montana, Colorado and Wyoming Elk and Mule Deer, New Mexico Aoudads and Ibex, etc, etc. with trail shoes minimalist footwear.

Train your feet and don’t worry about it.

I’ve thought about but have two issues:
1. I just don’t trust my ankles without support (I do think they make some high ankle support runners but I haven’t come across many)

2. The lack of waterproofing would be workable in the summer, but I must have something waterproof for fall/winter. Can’t have wet feet from a stream crossing or snow when I’m stand or blind hunting deer.

Running shoes are more padded for running, impact is different. Some more than others which makes them really comfy for hiking which means they wear out faster. Yes youre expecting a little too much out of a boot. Those Salomons are great, roll with them!

Trail runners and minimalist shoes...we always have people on the extreme ends of the spectrum preaching, usually not great advise for the general hunter. Use a minimalist shoe for hunting or use a full shank mountaineering boot...youre going to sacrifice something using either.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
G
Running shoes are more padded for running, impact is different. Some more than others which makes them really comfy for hiking which means they wear out faster. Yes youre expecting a little too much out of a boot. Those Salomons are great, roll with them!

Trail runners and minimalist shoes...we always have people on the extreme ends of the spectrum preaching, usually not great advise for the general hunter. Use a minimalist shoe for hunting or use a full shank mountaineering boot...youre going to sacrifice something using either.

The issue I have with the Salomons is that they have a weird contact/pressure point/running type deal (hard to describe) on my pinky toes. I’ve tried different socks, insoles, and no insoles. It doesn’t bother me when walking but is annoying as shit when sitting.

I emailed Salomon to see if they had any suggestions. Being a synthetic, I doubt I can stretch it much. Any ideas?

Might have to go back to the Vakuums...was really wanting something on the lighter side that didn’t cost $300.

I know what you mean. It’s probably where the seams come together inside the boot. Might be a defect in that pair, I’d maybe go in and exchange for different pair or contact Salomon directly. If all is lost there. Have you tried Asolo Fugitive GTX. Very similar boot with a slightly different fit.

OP
G
@ElkNut1 talked me into trying the UA Infil Ops boots...they are very close to sneaker comfort. Scarily so. After a weighted hike with them this morning I’m starting to side with him and think for once UA lucked up and did something right.

I did try some of those as they kind of seemed like a hybrid between running shoes and boots. That was early in my search so I don’t recall exactly why I didn’t like them (wish I kept a log).

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I’ve thought about but have two issues:
1. I just don’t trust my ankles without support (I do think they make some high ankle support runners but I haven’t come across many)

2. The lack of waterproofing would be workable in the summer, but I must have something waterproof for fall/winter. Can’t have wet feet from a stream crossing or snow when I’m stand or blind hunting deer.

1). No one rolls their ankles barefoot. Heeled shoes cause stability issues. As for height- Inov-8 Roclite 325’s are over the ankle.

2). See above. They have a GTX option.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Trail runners and minimalist shoes...we always have people on the extreme ends of the spectrum preaching, usually not great advise for the general hunter.

Well, evolutionarily stuff boots are an extreme for humans. I work somewhere that place a heavy emphasis on hiking/rucking especially in mixed terrain. Lower leg and foot issues are common. Well, used to be common. Now we have a foot and leg training program including gradually moving individuals into minimal shoes. Injuries are nearly unknown now.

Well, evolutionarily stuff boots are an extreme for humans. I work somewhere that place a heavy emphasis on hiking/rucking especially in mixed terrain. Lower leg and foot issues are common. Well, used to be common. Now we have a foot and leg training program including gradually moving individuals into minimal shoes. Injuries are nearly unknown now.

Agreed, I would consider a full shank mountaineering boot on the other end of the spectrum. Overkill for early season hunting, I use them in specific terrain and extreme conditions, winter type hunts in crunchy snow, yes, climbing peaks in the spring where crampons are needed, yes. My merrell trail gloves also have there place, 3-7mi trail runs. Mainly used for training, but will use around camp, for a stalk or still hunting. As for a early season alpine hunt with camp on your back, a moderately stiff boot with a low profile sole, ankle protection, and water proofing is my go to. Once you experience bad weather in a soft shoe, then you have to scale down a slick steep slope with weight, you realize why a alpine boot is designed the way it is, to keep yo ass alive, lol.

Last edited:
Are you allowed to share this program with the forum? Would be much appreciated coming from a guy with a chronic foot problem

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
Are you allowed to share this program with the forum? Would be much appreciated coming from a guy with a chronic foot problem

It’s not really feasible for most people.

However, if you have specific questions I probably could answer.

It’s not really feasible for most people.

However, if you have specific questions I probably could answer.
Story:
Podiatrist has me in stiff shoes / boots and over the counter orthotics.

Have a pressure point on ball of foot. Running metatarsal pad and tape job per his orders. Have not yet decided to get a custom orthotic due to price and changing one thing at a time.

Has been on and off a problem for a decade. Walking loaded is a problem. I am sure by this point I am compensating with bad mechanics too.

Main concern:
I worry as time goes on my feet get weaker because of these support systems "designed to heal my foot" and i don't ever walk barefoot again.

Question:
How can I work my way out of this protocol? Doc is letting on like I can never walk barefoot again. I don't like that answer.

Plea for info and assistance:
I don't have a conventional job and am committed to my PT. Not sure what part(s) of your program is / are prohibitive for most but I have some free time and am ready to make my foot and ankle strength my full time job.

Thanks for your time.

boom

WKR
i kind of feel footwear is so subjective. our feet are as unique as almost any other part of our bodies.

in my personal quest. the most comfortable boot so far has been the Lowa Cascades. but they wore out pretty quickly in the rough AZ desert. i'm wearing the soloman Quest now..and they are doing better in the longevity department, but less comfy. all this is FOR ME.

i too have a weak left ankle. i have hurt it so many times, i tweaks easy now.

good luck with your personal search.