Boot dryer recommendations

psp8ball

FNG
I'm looking at getting a different boot dryer this fall for elk season. We will have access to AC power via generator. We currently have the traditional tall boot dryer, but it takes up SO much room we rarely ever unpack it. Does anyone have any experience with the smaller style boot dryers? I'd be interested in your opinions. I am talking about fully soaked hunting boots, not just drying out sweat. (Snow, rain, etc)

Here is one on amazon in the style I am talking about.

Thanks!

NEWAoutdoors

Lil-Rokslider
Man i didnt even know there were others than the peet. Couldn't live without mine. Dries out boots in a night every time

Colobwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve used the Peet and won’t get another. I got a off brand at Walmart for cheaper and it has a timer and fan for blowing the boots dry. Works much faster

TheGDog

WKR
Love the Peets Boot Dryer!

I have a great sniffer and could never fully wash out the left behind smells that would occur just from the left over moisture you gotta wait for to dry being inside the boots. There'd always be a left behind smell of I don't know, perhaps mold?

I do wish it had some kind of timer on it though. It can be VERY easy to forget and leave your boots on that thing for longer than needed. I can't be sure of it, but I think my previous pair of Salomon's the sole failed prematurely likely from a couple of times of forgetting and leaving them on the dryer longer than needed.

Kinda like when you turn on the water to top-up the pool... only... it's silently filling into the pool, so ya don't hear it and don't "see" it, per se. Super easy to get side-tracked and forget you have that running! Well.. a couple of times of flooding and you make up some rules. Like if that spigot is on, I can not leave site of the pool! Just like my rule of whenever I wake up the next day I go take the boots off the dryer. Maybe even check em before going to bed just in case they dried sooner.

Ooh, and never set any pair of shoes to dry in the Sun with the soles pointing up at the Sun. Learned the hard way how that causes the soles to harden/cook from the radiation and become more slippery, less grippy, more likely to develop a tear.

xcutter

WKR
I have one of these for home use. Works awesome. My feet sweat non stop no matter if I'm hot or cold. I tried to take it last year on my elk hunt and plug into the truck but it didn't work well. Couldn't get enough power.

KRATOCT

FNG
I have couple of the forced air dryers but all are on timers and if your boots are wet beyond a mild sweat, they won’t dry in the 180 minutes. The non-forced air PEET has never let me down. Doesn’t dry as fast but runs all night. Very simple, lightweight , silent and great customer service if there’s a problem. I like the 2 pair model so I can either dry two pair at a time or with some boots get two of the boot holders in one boot so they dry quicker.

TheGDog

WKR
FYI I bought one of the little cigarette lighter OZone generators from Scent Crusher, to replace once I apparently lost, and the Scent Crusher one didn't last all too long and it's little cheap fan started giving out. It was either Scent Crusher or... I wanna say "HMI" products?

KNOW THIS THOUGH: Be advised that the Ozone these things generate seems to cause metals to oxidize faster!

I have a larger unit intended for filling a whole small room. I run it in the garage during the season to make sure no smells from the laundry machines are settling thru the air onto my hunting clothes. I was setting it on the workbench hear to a drillpress to run it. I noticed after time that the receiving surface on the drill-press started rusting. I've had the drillpress long enough that if it was gonna rust due to the environment it was in everyday, it would have rusted long ago.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have 3 peet units two plug ins and a propane all are 10-15 yrs old…the propane one can be a little finicky too light at times but has not failed yet and continues to work for me…and nothing like dry warm boots when it is cold 🥶 in the late season

Attachments

• 24DC3DBC-74D7-4439-849A-A09A47EA830E.jpeg
    24DC3DBC-74D7-4439-849A-A09A47EA830E.jpeg
    370.3 KB · Views: 29

Oregonboy

WKR
I've used Peet's for years and have no issues. Boots are always dry by the morning.

Sled

WKR
I prefer room air to dry my boots and have made a few boot dryers over the years. The latest ones use a cheap computer fan, some extendable tubes/figit toys and pvc fencing 4" square tube. If you're just drying one set of boots, a store bought might be better for you. The setup I use has room for multiple boots and gloves on top. Without using additional heat it's not a problem to run without the timer.

OP
P

psp8ball

FNG
Thanks for the input guys. It sounds like everyone loves their Peet, which is what we currently have. I was just hoping to find a smaller version that works well.