Boot dryers. Do you bring them

Randle

WKR
I used the Chevy Silverado model one year. it dried all my stuff at once. Only took about an hour of run time. I keep intending to by the propane one thanks for the reminder.

sasquatch

WKR
I have and they wont be, toe box will hold moisture. Just wont feel like it since its warm. Plus if you’re running the hair dryer on high heat, it will ruin the insulation as well as the Goretex. It also wont dry the leather in that time frame. You also don’t want to dry leather with high heat.
The best I’ve found is the Peet forced air heat selectable twin dryer. It puts warm air in the toe box which moves moist air out of the boot top. It will have a pair of soaked boots, inside and out dry by morning without damage to the leather or other materials. It also has a digital timer.

Well works for me, always run on cool or low heat. The flow of air is unmatched. If you have a long time I’m sure a boot dryer works great. Had one and sold it because most times I didn’t have 8 plus hours to accomplish drying my boots.

However on the whole subject. I think it’s a real good reason to own and bring two pair of boots!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Michael54

WKR
Well works for me, always run on cool or low heat. The flow of air is unmatched. If you have a long time I’m sure a boot dryer works great. Had one and sold it because most times I didn’t have 8 plus hours to accomplish drying my boots.

However on the whole subject. I think it’s a real good reason to own and bring two pair of boots!

I agree on the two pair of boots! It only takes one time to walk a few miles with the sole flopping off or the side blown out of a boot to appreciate having an extra pair with you.

*zap*

WKR
I wonder how stuffing wool socks/bases in them and putting in the boots in the bottom of a synthetic bag overnight or all day would work in a pinch in the backcountry?

The Peet air dryer is something I always bring along. If you are cramped for space and can't find room for the stand-up boot dryer, Peet also sells smaller boot dryers that have a small heat element that fits into each boot, and plugs into the wall electric socket. I bring both models to dry several pair overnight.

Missahba

Lil-Rokslider
I wonder how stuffing wool socks/bases in them and putting in the boots in the bottom of a synthetic bag overnight or all day would work in a pinch in the backcountry?
I won’t pretend to be an authority on it. But I’ve heard that sleeping with boots in your bag is typical.

After seeing this thread I looked on Amazon. Peet propane dryers run $100. Electrics are $40 to $90ish.

There’s also what appears to be a desiccant dryer for $10 called Drysure. It looks interesting for base camp. Recharge over the wood stove during the day, insert in boots at night. Prob won’t work in spike camp.

Nobody mentioned a campfire, and for good reason. Too difficult and risky to expensive leather. On the other hand our wood stove isn’t bad for the snow-induced moisture on boots.

In the Midwest, if it’s warm enough to rain, pac boots or full rubber boots are in order. We don’t have mountains to climb in the rain.

Cool man. My peet will dry the inside in just a couple hours, not that i timed it. Lol. We will just have to agree to disagree.