Boot fit... am I going about this right?

Sorry this is probably one of the most mundane and most frequently asked questions on this forum. I've searched and I think I understand it, but I wanted to ask specifically if I am dialing these boots in correctly or if I am just off size wise or maybe ditch this brand all together and go a different route.

I recently purchased a pair of Crispi Colorado's. Now, based on every post I read on these boots, they're true to size so I ordered them in my normal size 12. It took me about 30 minutes of wearing around the house to realize these things were two things. Not quite long enough and a bit too narrow. Now, size wise, that didn't really surprise me and I honestly had a hunch I should have went up a half size. But width had me a bit shocked. I never wore a wide shoe in my life, but these things had my pinky toe screaming in 20 minutes. They just felt a bit narrow. I had a bit of room size wise, but felt that on steep downhill terrain, a touch longer boot will be greatly appreciated.

I ordered another pair, this time in a 12.5W. Size feels good. Standing, I have about 1" in front of my toes before they'd hit the front of the boot. Width, they're still a strange narrowish feeling, but quite a bit better than the last pair. I feel like I can adjust them and work from there.

After wearing them around the house for most of the day, I felt pretty good and decided these were it. So, I went on a quick one mile hike, including some pretty steep uphill climbs. The top part of my heels were killing me going up the mountain. I also started noticing just on my right foot, the top of my foot at the base of my pinky toes was bothering me a bit, right where the crease of the boot was starting to settle in. Every time I flexed as I walked, the crease would bend down and put a good deal of pressure on my foot in that spot. This is only happening on my right foot. The left foot was perfect other than a bit of heel pain.

I was playing around that night with lacing techniques, etc and nothing really felt overly great. I still had a bit of heel slip and of course that top of the toe thing. I think the top of the foot thing will eventually work itself out as I wear the boots more but the heel thing bothered the heck out of me. So, just for grins, I took a pair of thick insoles I had in my rubber boots I wear for whitetail hunting, slapped those into the Crispi, right over the existing so called insole they come with. Low and behold, the heal felt much better and I could lock the heel easier with lacing.

So, I think I will be ordering a thicker insole to take up volume in the boot. I need the width and length they provide but they're a touch roomy. With the thickness of the insole(s), I have in there now, they feel pretty good and I think I will take a walk or two with that setup, just to confirm before plunking down 50 bucks on super feet or another brand.

So my questions are this. Is this a relatively common thing with the heel cup on these styles of boots? Am I headed in the right direction to fine tune them? Or does this sound like a totally out of whack boot for me and I should just give up and move on to another brand?

Also, can someone recommend an insole to try for this situation? The heel lift really seems to make a world of difference in that spot.

Sorry for the long drawn out post. I figured I would give us much info as I could. Boots are driving me insane!

Mosby

WKR
I would probably try different boots. I use to try to make boots work that simply didn't fit my foot and I always ended up with a lot of blisters and boots I hated to wear. Much easier to try different brands and find one that is comfortable right out of the box. For me that's Lowa's.

If you are going to keep them, I would get some Leukotape and cover critical friction areas until they get broken in. You also might try different socks and different sock thickness or material. The right socks are important too. I only use merino wool with hunting boots.

def90

WKR
Did you buy these online? Never buy boots that you can’t try on in person.

I had some Crispis, hated them, got some Scarpas and I’m a happy camper but in the end everyones feet are different and every manufacturer uses a different foot shape for their builds. The only way to buy boots is to follow the same procedure that you would for ski boots and go to a shop that knows their boots and try on the boots that will best fit your foot shape.

Torrent50

FNG
Boots are a funny animal. I have several pair of Crispi's that I love, but one that I hate. More accurately, they hate my feet. I usually get an aftermarket insole and have been trying the Superfeet Orange in my latest pair and they are feeling really good so far. It may just be that model that your feet don't like, or it could be the brand in general. I have had several pair of Lowa's that fit and feel great, but they aren't waterproof like they say so I moved on. The only thing I can say is don't settle for "pretty good fit." Your feet take enough of a beating hunting without boots that aren't just right.

jolemons

WKR
Good advice to not settle with uncomfortable boots. I've purchased ~15 boots from 8 manufactures in the past year. That's not realistic for most people, but I'm always searching for the best boots.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

OP
M
Did you buy these online? Never buy boots that you can’t try on in person.

I had some Crispis, hated them, got some Scarpas and I’m a happy camper but in the end everyones feet are different and every manufacturer uses a different foot shape for their builds. The only way to buy boots is to follow the same procedure that you would for ski boots and go to a shop that knows their boots and try on the boots that will best fit your foot shape.
I tried them on first at a local place but their prices are really high and at the time I wasn't ready to buy yet. They felt good in the store. My issue is, I have no idea what the fit of a mountain boot should really feel like. I also don't care at all for the narrowness in the toe region of these. Sizing seems to be a big issue for me with Crispi as the longer I mess with them in the house, the more I feel like I need at least a 13 in these boots if they were going to have any chance of working.

I'm honestly about ready to sell these ones and cut my losses, then go on a hunt for something I can find locally that fits well. Problem is, out east, we have no carriers of mountain hunting boots. So it will most likely boil down to a Danner, Irish Setter, Lacrosse brand of boot. Which is honestly fine by me if they work well and hold up for this year.

def90

WKR
I tried them on first at a local place but their prices are really high and at the time I wasn't ready to buy yet. They felt good in the store. My issue is, I have no idea what the fit of a mountain boot should really feel like. I also don't care at all for the narrowness in the toe region of these. Sizing seems to be a big issue for me with Crispi as the longer I mess with them in the house, the more I feel like I need at least a 13 in these boots if they were going to have any chance of working.

I'm honestly about ready to sell these ones and cut my losses, then go on a hunt for something I can find locally that fits well. Problem is, out east, we have no carriers of mountain hunting boots. So it will most likely boil down to a Danner, Irish Setter, Lacrosse brand of boot. Which is honestly fine by me if they work well and hold up for this year.

A boot is a boot, just because it has a hunting label on it does it mean that it does something that another boot doesn’t. Don’t get caught up in having to buy a “hunting” boot. There are tons of mountaineering and hiking boot makers out there, hiking and mountaineering boots are the same as hunting boots. Scarpa and Garmont are two brands that are sold at REI and any other outdoors retailer across the country and they are both very rugged and well made brands. All manufacturers will have slightly different shaped toe boxes and footbeds, try on different brands until you find one that has the shape that best matches your foot. Leave some room at the end of your toes, stand in them on a downward ramp if you can so that your feet and toes are pushed forward to make sure that they aren’t going to bottom out on the downhills.

def90

WKR
Another thing to touch on, don’t expect “break in” to occur with a stiff hiking/mountaineering/hunting boot, at least not in any way like a casual shoe has break in. Good hiking boots are built stiff and they are built to stay that way, they will not necessarily break in and mold to your feet like a dress or casual shoe does. When you size them in the store buy the size that is most comfortable at that point in time, do not expect the shape or fit to change, you will not stretch a tight fitting solid hiking boot to fit your feet.

OP
M
Thanks everyone. I'm really fretting on this one as I was hoping to have my boots nailed down here before our spring turkey season kicks off and I can wear them there to start and really get them comfortable.

I guess a huge mistake I made was really trying hard to make Crispi work for me as I do have a local shop (even though I didn't buy from them this time) and any future purchases, etc I can go through them. Plus I did try them on in the store.

I'm going to a couple local boot shops this weekend to try on whatever they sell to see if I can find something that actually works for me better. Don't really care if its a Danner, Lacrosse, or a premium mountain boot at this point. I guess realistically, I don't need the high end boots for a one week hunt and some whitetail hunting at home. I just need to find a stiffer boot with good ankle support and be done with it. I'm not a professional elk hunter or a Cameron Hanes type... I'm not as demanding as I think I am... lol.

That said... anyone want to buy a basically new Crispi Colorado in a 12.5 Wide? lol.

You ALWAYS have to size up in boots. If you don’t…. The moment you do a big downhill your toes will confirm this truth.

Firehawk

WKR
You ALWAYS have to size up in boots. If you don’t…. The moment you do a big downhill your toes will confirm this truth.
Whereas this is somewhat true, if you "upsize" your boots and it doesn't fit right everywhere else, it does little good to have the extra toe box room. The boot has to lock in your heel, match up in the arch area and have enough room in the toe box to allow swelling from heat and use and to allow room for the toes in a difficult downhill use.

MuzzyMan, I get your pain. I have settled on Crispis as well. I have the Guide GTX, the Nevada GTX and now the Colorado GTX. I like that the Colorado has eyelets closer to the toe so that I can customize the fit, but I still had some issues with new "hot spots" on Saturday shooting TAC. A little time to toughen up my feet will help.

And I found the Summit to fit sloppy on my feet in the same size, but going down a size my toes would have issues. So just being the same brand, doesn't mean that they will fit exactly the same. You are on the right track getting to a pair that fit you right.

As others have said, try to find an REI or similar and see if they can fit you to a worthy boot. They have lots and they are good to deal with in the long run.

wscott3

FNG
Sorry this is probably one of the most mundane and most frequently asked questions on this forum. I've searched and I think I understand it, but I wanted to ask specifically if I am dialing these boots in correctly or if I am just off size wise or maybe ditch this brand all together and go a different route.

I recently purchased a pair of Crispi Colorado's. Now, based on every post I read on these boots, they're true to size so I ordered them in my normal size 12. It took me about 30 minutes of wearing around the house to realize these things were two things. Not quite long enough and a bit too narrow. Now, size wise, that didn't really surprise me and I honestly had a hunch I should have went up a half size. But width had me a bit shocked. I never wore a wide shoe in my life, but these things had my pinky toe screaming in 20 minutes. They just felt a bit narrow. I had a bit of room size wise, but felt that on steep downhill terrain, a touch longer boot will be greatly appreciated.

I ordered another pair, this time in a 12.5W. Size feels good. Standing, I have about 1" in front of my toes before they'd hit the front of the boot. Width, they're still a strange narrowish feeling, but quite a bit better than the last pair. I feel like I can adjust them and work from there.

After wearing them around the house for most of the day, I felt pretty good and decided these were it. So, I went on a quick one mile hike, including some pretty steep uphill climbs. The top part of my heels were killing me going up the mountain. I also started noticing just on my right foot, the top of my foot at the base of my pinky toes was bothering me a bit, right where the crease of the boot was starting to settle in. Every time I flexed as I walked, the crease would bend down and put a good deal of pressure on my foot in that spot. This is only happening on my right foot. The left foot was perfect other than a bit of heel pain.

I was playing around that night with lacing techniques, etc and nothing really felt overly great. I still had a bit of heel slip and of course that top of the toe thing. I think the top of the foot thing will eventually work itself out as I wear the boots more but the heel thing bothered the heck out of me. So, just for grins, I took a pair of thick insoles I had in my rubber boots I wear for whitetail hunting, slapped those into the Crispi, right over the existing so called insole they come with. Low and behold, the heal felt much better and I could lock the heel easier with lacing.

So, I think I will be ordering a thicker insole to take up volume in the boot. I need the width and length they provide but they're a touch roomy. With the thickness of the insole(s), I have in there now, they feel pretty good and I think I will take a walk or two with that setup, just to confirm before plunking down 50 bucks on super feet or another brand.

So my questions are this. Is this a relatively common thing with the heel cup on these styles of boots? Am I headed in the right direction to fine tune them? Or does this sound like a totally out of whack boot for me and I should just give up and move on to another brand?

Also, can someone recommend an insole to try for this situation? The heel lift really seems to make a world of difference in that spot.

Sorry for the long drawn out post. I figured I would give us much info as I could. Boots are driving me insane!
Your story sounds exactly like mine with Crispis. I have a narrow/low volume heel and tried all the same tricks as you. Last year I had to go home after one day hunting because my feet were so destroyed, just because the sock/insole/lacing combination wasn't perfect to keep them fitting right.

I tried on the Kenetrek Mountain Extremes the other day and they instantly felt perfect, you might give those a try. Debating whether to spend another $500 on boots, but I probably can't even hunt again with my current ones.

Andouille

Lil-Rokslider
Superfeet gray merino insoles are pretty thick and take up a lot of space, plus they will form nicely to your feet over time. Perhaps not the best choice for very hot weather since they insulate well. They have "medium" arch support from my experience. I run gray and green insoles in my boots.