Boot fit and break-in question from a noob

Fry

FNG
Alright Im a noob to backcountry hunting. Ive hunted my whole life but never out west.

I just got two pairs of Crispis im wearing around house to see what is better fit. I find the whole size 10s fits well but no room for any foot swell. The 10.5 has a little room in toe but not much. Id say the 10.5 feel like a relaxed fit.

With my running shoes I wear an 11. Im usually a 10.5 shoe for everything but running your want some toe room for various reasons.

I know with my snowboard boots, however, you want them snug as theyll mold to your feet and stretch out quickly fitting your foot perfect.

But with this stiff hunting boots I have no clue what fit would be better: my snowboard boot snug fit knowing they may mold and stretch with use? Or a half size for room when doing long heavy hikes incase your feet swell some?

Ive hiked in trail runners for long periods but these new stiff Crispis are a new feel for me.

Any suggestions? Is there a specific thing to look for with boot fit with hunting boots? Thanks.

D S 319

WKR
I like a little room in the toe box so my toes don’t smash up against the end of the boot when walking down hill. Or if I wanted to put on heavier socks.

Reactions: Fry

The_Yetti

Lil-Rokslider
I like some room for swelling, as well as for thicker socks. Are you wearing socks that you plan to wear while hunting? I know my feet swell some when hiking for a while, but I have other foot/lower extremity issues that may make it worse for me than others.

Boots stretch out as you wear them. Lace up in the morning a little more "loose" and then relace and tighten up through the day if needed.

Thick socks can make your feet sweat causing other issues down the road. Wet feet blister easier...

Zappaman

WKR
I had a VERY bad leg injury at 10. My left foot is 1/2 shorter (and more narrow) than my right. My cowboy boots I wore for most of 25 years after that almost immediately conformed to both my feet (after a few weeks of almost daily wear). There were LEATHER, and that's the key for my hunting boots as well. I STILL have a few pair of cowboy boots from my late 20s (ostriich, alligator) I wear on occasion to this day (in my 50s now).

The leather will expand OR contract to fit the foot in normal wear-- but yes... it might take a while. I read on some boot site a few years back that you wanted at least 1/2" room at the toe. I usually buy with the toe on my right foot a bit snug (probably closer to 1/4") leaving me lots of room for the left foot. But after wearing good hunting boots a few times- they fit great without needing extra socks on the left foot. Just have to break them in.

Last edited:
As many have already stated, the more you wear them and break them in they will mold to your foot better and feel a lot better. It took a little while to break in my boots when I first got them.

bozeman

WKR
As mentioned above, walk down hill in them. Should help determine if toe box is sufficient.

CJF

WKR
I think in general the stiffer the flex of the boot the less tolerance you have for additional room in the toe box or heel cup. They need to fit perfect. Hopefully that helps. If you have the stiffer flex I would go with the 1/2 size down.....if they are more flexible then you'll probably be fine with the 1/2 size up.

OP
Fry

Fry

FNG
I think in general the stiffer the flex of the boot the less tolerance you have for additional room in the toe box or heel cup. They need to fit perfect. Hopefully that helps. If you have the stiffer flex I would go with the 1/2 size down.....if they are more flexible then you'll probably be fine with the 1/2 size up.
Appreciate that. They are the Lapponias so the more flexible as I understand.0

OP
Fry

Fry

FNG
As mentioned above, walk down hill in them. Should help determine if toe box is sufficient.
Thanks Ive been walking up and down my stairs carrying my toddler on my shoulders. May have to put her in the pack and focus more on going downstairs more to get feel.

OP
Fry

Fry

FNG
I had a VERY bad leg injury at 10. My left foot is 1/2 shorter (and more narrow) than my right. My cowboy boots I wore for most of 25 years after that almost immediately conformed to both my feet (after a few weeks of almost daily wear). There were LEATHER, and that's the key for my hunting boots as well. I STILL have a few pair of cowboy boots from my late 20s (ostriich, alligator) I wear on occasion to this day (in my 50s now).

The leather will expand OR contract to fit the foot in normal wear-- but yes... it might take a while. I read on some boot site a few years back that you wanted at least 1/2" room at the toe. I usually buy with the toe on my right foot a bit snug (probably closer to 1/4") leaving me lots of room for the left foot. But after wearing good hunting boots a few times- they fit great without needing extra socks on the left foot. Just have to break them in.
Oh man we have a similar situation but I likely didnt have near a bad of injury… my right foot is smaller than my left and my left leg is longer. Has to do with some jacked up hip issue. left foot fits perfect in the 10.5/s but my right feels like its in a cave. With the 10s my right is comfy but my left is feeling cramped o toe area.

Lifes a bitch sometimes.

OP
Fry

Fry

FNG
I like some room for swelling, as well as for thicker socks. Are you wearing socks that you plan to wear while hunting? I know my feet swell some when hiking for a while, but I have other foot/lower extremity issues that may make it worse for me than others.
Wearing my hunting socks - lighter weight smart wools. Ive tried my heavy socks just to see how it feels but ideally the fit is in my thinner socks as thats when I primarily hunt is early fall. ill have to wear them all day inside tomorrow and see what its like.