Boot for bad ankles

take5

FNG
I had ankle surgery yesterday to repair torn ligaments and I’m looking for boot suggestions. Needless to say, my ankles aren’t the best. I also realize strengthening my ankles with physical therapy is important and something I plan to do.
That said, I’d love an uninsulated boot that I can hike and hunt with, but maybe that’s asking too much.

After searching the forum, I’ve seen a fair amount of support for the Lowa Tibet and Kenetrek Everstep, but I’ve also been looking at Crispi- which seems to have an even better following and what I’m leaning towards.

I know a good boot can make or break a hunt, but surely I can accomplish that without shelling out $500.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Def get yourself into some minimalist shoes for rehab/strengthening.

As far as boots, lots of factors. Were you prone to rolling your ankle before surgery? What kind of hunting and where? Your probably not gonna want to go with a heavy thick soled boot and no you don’t need to spend that much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
take5

take5

FNG
Def get yourself into some minimalist shoes for rehab/strengthening.

As far as boots, lots of factors. Were you prone to rolling your ankle before surgery? What kind of hunting and where? Your probably not gonna want to go with a heavy thick soled boot and no you don’t need to spend that much.

I have been prone to rolling my ankles for as long as I can remember. This is what led to surgery - I tore ligaments from rolling my ankle.
To this point I’ve been a whitetail hunter, but I’ve been dreaming of heading out west for years. I can realistically see that happening within the next year or two.

Cool man. Yeah figured. All these Mtn style boots kinda suck if your not in the terrain or conditions they’re built for, and especially if you have a bad ankles and are prone to rolling them. I’ll cover some stuff you should def avoid because of your situation and some stuff you want in a boot but ultimately up to you my friend. You have to go try multiple boots on and I’d say your number one attribute your looking for should be stability.

Avoid high soles. Ex: La Sportiva Karakoram. Super comfortable boot but because of the sole height these things are wobbly af off trail on dry ground. If youre not sinking these soles into a few inches of snow every step your going to role ankle.

e6aded69a9aecbedfcebc295df9471af.jpg

Avoid skinny soles. Ex: Crispi Thor. Same principle. You can imagine these will be tippy unless in mud or snow. They’re some badass looking boots but make a wrong placement because your tired and ankle is sprained.
9717245a0dd4108d481972f36fd2111d.jpg

You should be looking for something similar to these lightweight Irish Setter VaprTreks. Notice the sole is wider than boot itself and how close the sole is too ground. The rubber part makes it look high but it’s not.
cf242ba015b73f44d91af467bd5dcaba.jpg

I honestly think you be better off with a pair of boots that are not super expensive and have all these features you’ll never use or need. Yes these boots won’t last as long but youll be less likely to be limping down the Mtn at the end of the day. Walk with intention, place every step confidently. Another suggestion is to use something called a ankle stabilizer with lightweight boots for extra support. They make some for skateboarders that go over socks and they’re great(the ones that lace up). Good luck on the boot quest, happy to answer anymore questions you have. I’m sure some others will have some good suggestions.

Last edited:

Marmots

Lil-Rokslider
I have a torn posterior tibial tendon and no spring ligament. I'm very prone to inversion sprains. I wear Zamberlan 980s on gnarly terrain. They've been great, I feel more confident in just my 980s and socks than I do in a lot of other boots with a heavy ankle brace inside.

ROJO23

FNG
i tore my peroneal tendon and had it repaired 2 years ago, and also rolled my ankles all the time. I bought the kenetrek mountain extremes and really like them. I live in VA and use them during hunting season here. I don't find any issues with the additional support or stiffness out of the mountains. I don't think i will ever buy anything other than the kenetreks now on.

Slugz

WKR
Ruptured achilles surgically repaired 2004.
I've tried them all. Only one that I could get the support I needed was the Crispi Nevadas due to the composition of the softer leather on the inside.

madcalfe

WKR
kennetrek everstep orthopedic non insulated
there the mountain extremes with braces and have rocker in the toes
im on my 3rd year with them.
i fractured my right heel and finding comfy boots with good support is hard for me. and these work awesome

OP
take5

take5

FNG
@Topo_trekker thank you for taking the time to add all of that information and boot suggestions. That was very thorough and helpful!. I appreciate it.

OP
take5

take5

FNG
i tore my peroneal tendon and had it repaired 2 years ago, and also rolled my ankles all the time. I bought the kenetrek mountain extremes and really like them. I live in VA and use them during hunting season here. I don't find any issues with the additional support or stiffness out of the mountains. I don't think i will ever buy anything other than the kenetreks now on.
Glad you found the right boot that works. I've seen a lot of support for Kenetrek. Just hoping I can find something that's not quite as expensive...especially since I don't know if they'll work for me.

OP
take5

take5

FNG
Ruptured achilles surgically repaired 2004.
I've tried them all. Only one that I could get the support I needed was the Crispi Nevadas due to the composition of the softer leather on the inside.
Crispi and Kenetrek are the two I keep seeing pop up. I can't seem to find anything close by for me to try them on. I think there is a place in Mississippi and one in Tennessee that I might have to drive to. It would probably be worth the trip.

FZY

FNG
Been doing the same research. Fractured my ankle last August. The EverStep Orthopedic NI is classified as an AFO and can be ordered by prescription. Your insurance may not cover all of it but it could help with the cost. I just looked on the Kenetrek web site and they are on sale 20% off.

OP
take5

take5

FNG
Been doing the same research. Fractured my ankle last August. The EverStep Orthopedic NI is classified as an AFO and can be ordered by prescription. Your insurance may not cover all of it but it could help with the cost. I just looked on the Kenetrek web site and they are on sale 20% off.
I was wondering about that. Thanks for the tips. I’ll definitely look into it.

I used Irish Setter Elk Tracker 12" boots this year. Went to Red Wing to get some work boots and saw these. Awesome ankle support and may be the most comfortable boot I have owned. Used them on my elk/mule deer hunt this year, 18" snow up and down the mountains, ankles were fine!!!!!!!!

Also tried a couple of different versions of their inserts, found one that fit my arches and feet perfect.

madcalfe

WKR
the elk trackers are junk after about a month of use and soften up. dont get my wrong there comfy as hell but they don't have any structural support when they start to soften up.

Agree regarding the mountaineering boots. I have them and use them during the winter months here in OZ. But if your not in snow, using them as they were intended they can be horrible to walk in and bad for your feet. Think steep as shit with heaps of snow.

My go to’s are Danners.

I broke my ankle back in July. Still having pain so I broke down and bought the Kenetrek Everstep Orthotics. Haven't received the yet as they were on back order. I turned the information in to insurance today. Hoping I get at least some refunded.

tcpip95

Lil-Rokslider
Not being a smart ass, but consider duct-taping your ankles (like we did way back when in high school football, or ice hockey). When hunting, you'll probably carry a roll of duct tape in your pack anyways (I do.).

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
bad ankle old guy tried everything through the decades and currently on a good run without any recent rolls….i found the Crispi nevadas to be very stable after my initial review and have since bought two more pairs and another pair of Crispis…the nevadas are very stable, waterproof and comfortable for most but not the most durable in my experience but has not stopped me from buying multiple pairs…as noted a wider and lower boot will provide a more stable platform and pay attention to foot placement low spots and things that may break when you step…I also acquired the ankle supports by kenetrek if the need arises

Crispi Nevada GTX Hunting Boot​

Attachments

• 1E606BBA-BA85-47D9-86E8-873C8E98CEB0.png
    1E606BBA-BA85-47D9-86E8-873C8E98CEB0.png
    859.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

AnnualRye

Lil-Rokslider
bad ankle old guy tried everything through the decades and currently on a good run without any recent rolls….i found the Crispi nevadas to be very stable after my initial review and have since bought two more pairs and another pair of Crispis…the nevadas are very stable, waterproof and comfortable for most but not the most durable in my experience but has not stopped me from buying multiple pairs…as noted a wider and lower boot will provide a more stable platform and pay attention to foot placement low spots and things that may break when you step…I also acquired the ankle supports by kenetrek if the need arises

Crispi Nevada GTX Hunting Boot​

Funny, I've had the exact opposite experience with the Nevadas. They are a great boot, but not for me and my bad ankle. I've probably rolled my ankle badly 6 times in them since I purchased them in March 2020. I feel like their sole is too high and narrow, I can't feel the ground and once they start to give they just roll. I will state I primarily hunt the rain forest of western Oregon where everything is wet/slippery and sticks and other debris hide in the vegetation.

I had a pair of Meindl Denalis previously that were much more stable and I don't recall one ankle roll in the 4 years I wore them. I have a large and wide foot (13.5 ee) with a fairly high arch and those fit me perfectly. May have to look at the Meindl Hunters if they offer similar stability. They are also 9.5" high compared to the 8" in the Nevadas.

Last edited: