Boot for bad ankles

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
We know boots are so different for everyone so when you find a good boot for your feet it is awesome……🤙

Blandry

WKR
I can cinch my latest boots, the Schnee granite 10'' so tight, feels really good on my ankles that have been so messed up over my lifetime. I've broken both tibias and countless ankle sprains.

Boblee

FNG
Lowa tibet , lowa tibet and lowa tibet , I have a ankle issue and no boots I have ever tried and I am a gear junkie I have a lot of boots, have ever helped my ankles so much. I keep buying them just in case they update or discontinue them. I think I have 5 pair now . Kenetreks are good too and I wear them for some things but the tibets are tops for me , I order a size up unless they are wides then a half size up fits better.

cgr1971

FNG
I'm currently wear a pair of Tibet LL and am searching for something with more ankle support as a replacement. I can roll my ankle with the Tibets. The upper ankle area is a bit soft, they're decent, but not as supportive as I'd like.

I recently tried the Hanwag Alaskans and they're much more supportive. The Tibet's and Alaskans are 9" boots. I've also tried Schnee Beartooths and Crispi Guides. The conclusion that I have come to is that height matters. I haven't put my foot in a 8" boot yet that has the support of a comparable 10" boot.

HiMtnHntr

WKR
I just got some Zamberlan Wasatch boots. They are 11" tall. More substantial than what I'm used to, but my right ankle is a mess. I tried the Crispi on on preferred these.

Boblee

FNG
I'm currently wear a pair of Tibet LL and am searching for something with more ankle support as a replacement. I can roll my ankle with the Tibets. The upper ankle area is a bit soft, they're decent, but not as supportive as I'd like.

I recently tried the Hanwag Alaskans and they're much more supportive. The Tibet's and Alaskans are 9" boots. I've also tried Schnee Beartooths and Crispi Guides. The conclusion that I have come to is that height matters. I haven't put my foot in a 8" boot yet that has the support of a comparable 10" boot.
100% disagree .

I would think that a 10" boot minimum with fairly stiff soles would be best suited. At least they have been for my weak right ankle since the achilles issue years ago. Now ive suffered a pilon fracture of the lower tibia. Im hoping my Meindl's will still be the answer once it heals.

LukiLanda

FNG
I had ankle surgery yesterday to repair torn ligaments and I’m looking for boot suggestions. Needless to say, my ankles aren’t the best. I also realize strengthening my ankles with physical therapy is important and something I plan to do.
That said, I’d love an uninsulated boot that I can hike and hunt with, but maybe that’s asking too much.

After searching the forum, I’ve seen a fair amount of support for the Lowa Tibet and Kenetrek Everstep, but I’ve also been looking at Crispi- which seems to have an even better following and what I’m leaning towards.

I know a good boot can make or break a hunt, but surely I can accomplish that without shelling out $500.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.
I know your post is almost a year old, but I have the same problem with rolling ankles. What boot did you end up purchasing?

OP
take5

take5

FNG
I know your post is almost a year old, but I have the same problem with rolling ankles. What boot did you end up purchasing?
Good morning @LukiLanda. No worries about the post being old, I'm sorry it took me a few days to reply. I ended up going with Crispi Colorados. I drove a few hours to the nearest Crispi dealer and spent a while trying on different boots and walking around in them. I wanted to like some of the other Crispi boots, but my feet were telling me no.
The Colorados have been really nice and have saved me a few times from rolling my ankle. I used them this summer hiking in Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons, lots of hiking here and then hunting this winter. I'd buy them again and the only complaint is that my feet tend to get cold very easily when I'm sitting still and these aren't insulated. That said, if I'm walking around I would not like the insulation, so I'm pretty happy with them. Best of luck with your search and please let me know if I can answer any other questions.
Best wishes and Happy Holidays!
John

ND2506AI

FNG
I wanna try a pair of Kenetrek , do they come in like a 4 or 600 insulate? Too much makes my feet sweat

3 ligments replaced, a cartilidge rip fixed and a pinched nerve fixed.
my ankl3 would roll over 22 degrees with out feeling it.

you do not want super stiff soles. It is just the way it is. The big burly boots have there place, but you will have ankle pain from them. basically you will be replacing all of your shoes with different shoes. But softer soles will feel better on your ankle.

BobbyMac

Lil-Rokslider
you do not want super stiff soles
Boy...that's the truth! It's a dance between enough support and "soft enough" . I've found this out the hard way! Just like everyone's foot being different...those of us with ankle injuries have one more layer of fit and function to wade through. It can be a daunting task to find the right boot "for you"!!

Last edited:
I'd go with a stiff all leather boot. I had a torn ligament in my ankle on an elk hunt this year and the Schnees Beartooth had some incredible ankle support on steep terrain and my ankle survived much better than expected.

LukiLanda

FNG
Good morning @LukiLanda. No worries about the post being old, I'm sorry it took me a few days to reply. I ended up going with Crispi Colorados. I drove a few hours to the nearest Crispi dealer and spent a while trying on different boots and walking around in them. I wanted to like some of the other Crispi boots, but my feet were telling me no.
The Colorados have been really nice and have saved me a few times from rolling my ankle. I used them this summer hiking in Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons, lots of hiking here and then hunting this winter. I'd buy them again and the only complaint is that my feet tend to get cold very easily when I'm sitting still and these aren't insulated. That said, if I'm walking around I would not like the insulation, so I'm pretty happy with them. Best of luck with your search and please let me know if I can answer any other questions.
Best wishes and Happy Holidays!
John
Thank You very much for your input. I will check out the Colorado's.

Travis907

WKR
I wanna try a pair of Kenetrek , do they come in like a 4 or 600 insulate?
I have the Kenetrek mountain extreme 400 and they are my go to boots when the temps drops. In my opinion the 400 gram is perfect when it gets chilly as long as you use a good quality sock. They also have great overall support. Like most have said, get a boot that fits you and get after it! Good luck!

HiMtnHntr

WKR
I have a bad right ankle and rolled it again awhile back in my Solomons. I picked up a pair of Zamberlan Wasatches 11" and they are much more supportive. They are stiffer than I am used to, but won't allow my to roll my ankle. I also tried on the Crispi hunters and the Zamberlan seemed to have the edge in comfort.

shawnjon

FNG
Shattered right heel and shattered left foot, tried lots of boots. Only ones that have worked well with injuries are Crispi. They are finicky with lacing, I usually had to stop after the memory foam warmed up and tighten them again.