Boot for Late October Colorado

I apologize if this specific question has been beaten to death, but I can't find much about my conundrum. I'm headed to western Colorado this fall for my first elk hunt. I'm going with a cousin who's hunted the area for 30 years. Needless to say I'm really excited! That said, I know I need boots for this trip as all I have are heavy rubber insulated boots (I'm a whitetailer). I talked with my cousin and he told me not to buy insulated boots as we do a ton of hiking on this trip. All of the hunts will be front the truck each morning, so no overnight. He also explained the weather ranges that we may see.

That being said, I have a local shop that sells Crispi and I was in the other day trying on different boots. The boot that felt awesome to me was the Colorado. Way stiffer than I'm used to, but I suspect they'll loosen up a bit and I understand thats preferred in the mountains. So my question is, is the Colorado a good boot for that time of year? I just worry that since they're not all leather, they either will be too cold, or won't do well in the snow. I have no frame of reference for a boot like this. Also, I wear a 12 normally in sneakers. The Colorado I tried was a 12 and felt near perfect, but I didn't have overly heavy wool socks on. Should I bump to a 12.5 to give me a bit of wiggle room with socks or should I stay with a 12?

I am also going to try the Summit on when they get a 12 in stock. I'm not overly familiar with mountain boots. Would the summit be a good boot for the mountains? Stiff enough?

Thanks and sorry if this is beaten to death.

Last edited:

Rexman

FNG
I am looking at doing my first elk hunt this year as well and had the same question. I live in Colorado and you can easily get snow in late October in the mountains. I am currently trying on some different boots but am going to go with all leather since they will keep my feet dry compared to synthetic uppers from what I have read. I did email a gear expert at Gohunt who has hunted a bunch in Colorado and he recommended non-insulated and he uses either Lowe Tibet or Hanwag Alaskan mid to late season. If it is really cold he will use a heavy sock and has never had cold feet. If you are able to try the Crispi’s on I would give the Nevada’s a try. The ones I have sitting on my table now are Crispi Nevada and Hanwag Alaska’s and I think I will be going with the Hanwag’s but they are both great boots from what I can tell.