Boot Gaiter Question

I am in search of suggestions or reviews for Gaiters.
Good quality, water repellent-cy, price, durability
FYI i wear size 12 shoes/boots and a 17.5" calf with jeans on.
I have looked at the First Lite on amazon and some of the reviews state: They run small for folks with larger than average size calfs.

The Kuiu YUKON GAITERS show XL is over 16.5, no info on the XXL size. some of the reviews have had issues with durability, water repellancy lasting. and snaps failing.

Jhill1980

FNG
I am in search of suggestions or reviews for Gaiters.
Good quality, water repellent-cy, price, durability
FYI i wear size 12 shoes/boots and a 17.5" calf with jeans on.
I have looked at the First Lite on amazon and some of the reviews state: They run small for folks with larger than average size calfs.

The Kuiu YUKON GAITERS show XL is over 16.5, no info on the XXL size. some of the reviews have had issues with durability, water repellancy lasting. and snaps failing.

Check out Outdoor research for gaiters. They are pretty roomy in the calf region. They are also very reasonably priced. I run the Rocky Mountain High Gaiters. I just spent 5 days in Idaho with a ton of snow and they kept my lower legs dry. OR even has a helium version now with a more robust “waterproof” layer. Which, was not available when I got mine years ago. Hope that helps. Most box store retailers carry the Kenetrek gaiters. Might be a good option. Cuz, you can actually try those on. Scheels carries them if you have one in your area.

Venatic

FNG
Look at Stone Glaciers as well. Mine fit great but haven’t gotten to use them but next few weeks that will change. I too wear a size 12 and got what the website recommends.

I have the First Lite Brambler's and I will say they do run small. I am 5"10 and 190lbs with average calves and the L/XL are tight. They need to have more than 2 sizes in my opinion. If my calves were any bigger I would look for another brand.

Don’t know my calf measurement, but I have fairly big calves and wear a size 12. The XL Yukon’s are my go to for wet weather or snow. Finally tore a couple small holes after 3 years of abuse. Patched it up and hoping to get a couple more seasons out of them. They aren’t cheap but are well worth the price if they fit you.

Vandy321

WKR
I've never seen a bad review on Kuiu Yukons. Had them for 3 years now, wear the heck out of them, and zero issues. They are built like a tank...the only piece of KUIU gear I still own.

Venom One

WKR
I've used OR Rocky Mountains for the past 5 yrs as my early season gaiter. They're a lighter version of the more popular OR Croc gaiter, but I like them for early season. They've held up amazingly well through the NW blackberries. The velcro is starting to give up, but they have no rips or tears and the boot strap is still good. 100% nylon construction makes them a little louder than I prefer.

For late season, I have the Kuiu Yukon's. Hard to beat the Yukon's for toughness, durability and quality. Just picking them up you can tell they're tanks which is why I don't use them for early season, but they're a great gaiter and I have no fear of putting them through anything. The grip tape keeps them from sliding down, they're big enough to fit over boots, the boot strap is top-notch, the lower part has some kind of tough coating on them for added durability, and they're pretty quiet.

I also picked up the Kryptek Altitude gaiter based on the rave review of one of Black Ovis' guides who says he's worn nearly every gaiter available (see below). I haven't had a chance to wear them yet. They're so lightweight, breathable, and quiet, it feels like they won't hold up to harsh conditions and I don't want to ruin them. Guess I'll have to test them at some point....

Bump79

WKR
Interested in reviving this thread.

Debating between the OR Croc, FL Brambler, Kuiu Yukon, SKRE and maybe the new SG gaiters. Breathability, some stretch and quietness are top contenders for me.

nwdan

FNG
I use the Kuiu Yukon gators and really like them. I had a snap fail and they replaced them under warranty no problem.

Picked up the OR crocs used at REI this year. Hadn’t planned to, but they were sitting in the scratch-and-dent pile for $25. Just used them for a week-long wet and cold elk hunt in Oregon. Lots of snow and mud. They were light, warm, waterproof, quiet, and stayed in place great. I’m a fan.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kuiu Yukon

Last edited:

Jimss

WKR
Where are you hunting and what conditions?

I hunt and work outside in Colorado year-round in snow, rain, and sleet....never seen a need for gaiters. If there's a gob of snow I wear my quality rain pants that cover over the top of taller boots. Never have a problem with wet feet or legs. You should stay 100% dry if you have high quality boots, socks, and rain pants. If you are in deep snow you will likely be wearing raingear anyways so why the need for gaiters? I also hunt Alaska and Wyoming a lot and have never worn gaiters there either. Why have more weight and bulk wrapped around your legs when hiking? Some gaiters are less noisy than others but most are also pretty noisy. Just another thing that you may need to dry out or lug around in your pack!

OP
NCflyfisherman54
Where are you hunting and what conditions?

I hunt and work outside in Colorado year-round in snow, rain, and sleet....never seen a need for gaiters. If there's a gob of snow I wear my quality rain pants that cover over the top of taller boots. Never have a problem with wet feet or legs. You should stay 100% dry if you have high quality boots, socks, and rain pants. If you are in deep snow you will likely be wearing raingear anyways so why the need for gaiters? I also hunt Alaska and Wyoming a lot and have never worn gaiters there either. Why have more weight and bulk wrapped around your legs when hiking? Some gaiters are less noisy than others but most are also pretty noisy. Just another thing that you may need to dry out or lug around in your pack!
I went to REI in Asheville to get me a pair of waterproof hiking boots. They had gators for about $55 in multiple sizes. They only come in black. I got the XL, they fit well with the new boots. We'll see how they hold up thru the year.