Boot Gaiter Question

jasonhul

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Yukons and like them. What is the opinion on the T&K gaiters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Poser

WKR
I have the Yukons and like them. What is the opinion on the T&K gaiters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Considering they are coated pack cloth, they surely must be hot as hell and cause significant moisture build up inside the gaiter. I also think that their attachment hardware would have to be a total snag fest in thick brush.

MightyMatt

Lil-Rokslider
I am in search of suggestions or reviews for Gaiters.
Good quality, water repellent-cy, price, durability
FYI i wear size 12 shoes/boots and a 17.5" calf with jeans on.
I have looked at the First Lite on amazon and some of the reviews state: They run small for folks with larger than average size calfs.

The Kuiu YUKON GAITERS show XL is over 16.5, no info on the XXL size. some of the reviews have had issues with durability, water repellancy lasting. and snaps failing.

I run the Kuiu gators and have a couple rough seasons on the first pair now. I did have the snap break on one but only took 5 minutes to fix. I have been really happy with the durability so far. I wear them coyote hunting and busting through crusty snow is likely the hardest on them but they seem to have a lot of life left in them. Still water proof and look like new still.

madcalfe

WKR
kuiu yukons are without a doubt some of the best gaitors.
im on year 4 i think and i have 1 little tear on the heel from going through shale.
stone glaciers also look like a good option

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
year four on my Yukon’s with lots of tough miles on them, few dings here and there, but still going strong

this year I purchased a pair of their shorter gaiters, seeing we had a pitifully low snow year- wore them the majority of the season- thumbs up on their short gaiters too :D

EdP

WKR
I have used Kennetrek Gaiters for the past 6 years. No issue with being roomy enough, and Goretex so they keep everything dry. Important to me when I was shopping was finding a pair that reviews said were quiet and these fit the bill. I didn't want to hear them swishing with every step and they don't. They are quiet up until you go to take them off. Then the wide Velcro strip makes them very loud. The top strap buckle looks and feels flimsy but has never been a problem. A few weeks ago the bottom snap pulled off from one but with the Velcro closure it's not even needed.

Coldtrail

WKR
Outdoor Research Rocky Mountains.....got them on sale & guessed they wouldnt last a season, been using them several years now. Light, fairly waterproof, and durability was much better than I originally expected.

Bump79

WKR
Where are you hunting and what conditions?

I hunt and work outside in Colorado year-round in snow, rain, and sleet....never seen a need for gaiters. If there's a gob of snow I wear my quality rain pants that cover over the top of taller boots. Never have a problem with wet feet or legs. You should stay 100% dry if you have high quality boots, socks, and rain pants. If you are in deep snow you will likely be wearing raingear anyways so why the need for gaiters? I also hunt Alaska and Wyoming a lot and have never worn gaiters there either. Why have more weight and bulk wrapped around your legs when hiking? Some gaiters are less noisy than others but most are also pretty noisy. Just another thing that you may need to dry out or lug around in your pack!
I hunt primarily in Montana and Kentucky. I've worn gaiters for my entire hunting career if the conditions dictate it. 17 years ago breathable rain gear was hard to come by and wasn't an option financially.

Still to this day I find that gaiters are a must have for either wet or snowy conditions. I personally don't want to wear a rain pant on an active mountain hunt. Even if it's highly breathable and has zips it still isn't what I want unless it's windy as heck. The added noise and breathability being a concern. What I wear now is a gaiter in conjunction with a water resistant pant with waterproof seat and knees.

One thing that adds into it for me is that I nearly always wear a mid height boot. I've never found the need for added support from this. Even with a rain pant snow will push up into them when busting snow.

Overall it sounds like we have different experiences and different needs. To each their own right?

Jimss

WKR
I can't imagine sitting down to glass through my binos and spotter off a tripod in wet snow with just rain pants. My butt and entire leg down to gators would end up soaking wet with just gators on in wet snow...especially when it's actually snowing and the snow that is falling is wet. Why wear rain pants plus gators? I find that rain pants over boots works fine. My kuiu and sitka rain pants breath extremely well even when active. Any way rain pants without gators works well for me.

Bump79

WKR
I can't imagine sitting down to glass through my binos and spotter off a tripod in wet snow with just rain pants. My butt and entire leg down to gators would end up soaking wet with just gators on in wet snow...especially when it's actually snowing and the snow that is falling is wet. Why wear rain pants plus gators? I find that rain pants over boots works fine. My kuiu and sitka rain pants breath extremely well even when active. Any way rain pants without gators works well for me.
I hear ya. If it's really wet snow then I'd consider just rain pants, I'm not saying there isn't a case for it.

My midweight pants bead most water off with the DWR treatment. Add waterproof seat (plus pad when glassing), knees and gaiters and I honestly don't get wet unless it's actually raining.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
sitting down to glass in snow is very (very) different than hiking in snow

there is no rain gear made today that breathes well enough to be actively hiking in; if it's raining hard (rare here during hunting season) then I'll don them, if not I avoid rain pants like the plague

Rokwiia

WKR
I have looked at the First Lite on amazon and some of the reviews state: They run small for folks with larger than average size calfs.

The Kuiu YUKON GAITERS show XL is over 16.5, no info on the XXL size. some of the reviews have had issues with durability, water repellancy lasting. and snaps failing.

Outdoor Research makes great gaiters. I see you live in Timber Rattler territory, as I do. I decided to get snake gaiters and found ones that fit nicely like normal gaiters do, rather than the clunky ones you see. Instead of having two pairs, I now only use one for both purposes. Turtleskin Gaiters.

https://turtleskin.com/default/snake-gaiters.html

Super tag

WKR
Kuiu Yukon, 3 full seasons no issues, love wearing them in wet or dry conditions.

Caleb777

FNG

I have used my Yukon gaiters on an elk hunt in CO, bear hunt in MI swamps, and a bobcat hunt in deep snow drifts in MI. They have been phenomenal and held up well to the rigors I’ve put them through. Sure there may be cheaper ones that work well. But this set I believe will last me a long long time

I've never seen a bad review on Kuiu Yukons. Had them for 3 years now, wear the heck out of them, and zero issues. They are built like a tank...the only piece of KUIU gear I still own.
They kick ass. I have the kutana and peax equipment gaiter too, all excellent

The peax are my favorite for wet weather, had the Yukon a few years and still wear them often, and the kutana are my go to for archery season or spring bear/turkeys

If I picked one for everything, I would pick Yukon though

I have the OR crocs and they didn’t last two seasons. Tore multiple holes in them this year. They have no warranty with them but they did send me some tenacious tape. My next pair will be peax.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ hmmm- by buddy had a pair of 8-10 year old Crocs, he inquired about having them repaired- they sent him a brand new pair