Boot height

pbcarch

WKR
Ok so i am trying on new boots that I will be using to go out west + will be using here on the east coast. Think all bow for now and fall to early winter , so insulation is NOT the key driver.

I am not going to mention the brands i have but i have narrowed it down to 2....they both fit and feel very good. "A'' is a normal height boot and while still stiff easy to hike around the house. "B" is also comfortable but is of the high type boot, and walking around the house i "feel" that height and added stiffness (more like a ski boot)

Now i know this is a matter of preference (so probably answered my own question already) BUT from your experience in western hunting/backpacking do you have a liking to the regular height or the much higher type?

The taller/stiffer boot will give you more ankle support. That's why it feels like a ski boot, as you described. This can be important while caring a heavy pack or walking on steep side hills. I like a taller boot. It is just nice having that support.

OP
pbcarch

pbcarch

WKR
Has anyone every gotten the taller boot and wish they hadn't?

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

There are many more experienced hunters here to chime in. I personally think above a certain height it is a matter of preference.

I like an 8-10 inch boot because when hunting I am less likely to avoid shallow water than when hiking. I tend to think that gaiters are a better solution for mid and snow.

I think it is telling that apart from plastic mountaineering boots, you probably can't find a boot over 3-4 inches in an REI or high end backpacking store.

Now i know this is a matter of preference (so probably answered my own question already)

Nailed it.

Personally, I used tall boots for years and years, then switched to hiker style (at or just above the ankle). I'll never go back.

2013 was so wet in the Gila that the elk had galoshes. The gophers were using snorkels. The town of Mogollon nearly washed away.
The smartest-looking guy was the one I met on the trail who had calf-high boots on. I've never wanted them since, but they would've been nice on that trip.

OP
pbcarch

pbcarch

WKR
Now that's funny right there

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk