Boot Help - 1mi. hike and long cold sits

ghott

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for some recommendations for my application:

- Late season WV/PA hunts (Nov/Dec), temp ranges 0-30* F and almost always a lot of wind
- 1/2 mile - 1.5 mile average hike in
- 3 - 5 hour stand hunting
- 1/2 mile - 1.5 mile average hike back out
- my feet do tend to sweat more than average (naturally), and also tend to get cold easily...just in general

I have been doing a ton of reading on hiking boots vs. highly insulated rubber boots, insulation, layers, moisture management, sock swaps once in the stand, etc. etc on this sub-forum and have learned a lot.

That said, it seems like my medium distance hike in plus the long cold stand sits put me in kinda a no-man's-land area for boot offerings. Almost like I'd need to wear a decent pair of hiking/mtn boots in and swap boots to a dedicated insulated rubber boot and socks in the stand, then swap back for hiking out. I definitely don't want to lug an additional pair of boots around, so I'm looking for a pair that would be a decent hiker, not too heavy/cumbersome, but still plenty of insulation for long cold sits. Note: I do plan to use the boots with a pair of arctic shield boot covers along with a warmer in down by the toes.

The one pair I keep coming back to for a "do-it-all" with minimal compromises is the Crispi Wild Rock Plus GTX (the version with 800g of insulation). Though I did read a thread on here that questioned the actual 800g of thinsulate they actually use.

Any recommendations/experiences would be great.

dog

Lil-Rokslider
I have the same situation as you and just do as you are saying. I just use 400 grm insulated boots with the boot blankets and warmers in them. That does it for me

Boot blankets and chemical warmers are the answer. If you are walking that far your feet will not get cold even with an unisulated boot and light sock.
Once you get to your stand put the boot blankets on right away. Do not wait till your feet get cold.

I hunt PA the same way and use 400 gram boots and boot blankets. I use either the Artic Shield ones or the Ice Breaker ones depending on how cold it is. I'll also add toe warmers as needed.

go_deep

WKR
I use to tree stand hunt before I moved to Wyoming. Would wear an uninsulated pair of boots to the stand, while on the ground would change boots to a pak boot, then climb into my stand.

Boot blankets and chemical warmers are the answer. If you are walking that far your feet will not get cold even with an unisulated boot and light sock.
Once you get to your stand put the boot blankets on right away. Do not wait till your feet get cold.

^^^
This. They weigh almost nothing and you can get a set for pretty cheap. I have had a pair of boot blankets for about 5 years and I don’t see them ever wearing out given you aren’t walking in them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
G

ghott

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks all, appreciate the input! I think I’ll give the medium-insulated hikers plus boot blanket/warmers a shot this year. If that doesn’t work, I’ll reevaluate for the following season

rayporter

WKR
if you are on the ground an old sleeping pad to keep your feet off the frozen ground is very useful. [with the boot blankets.] the chemical warmers will slow down or shut of from lack of oxygen so get them going full steam before putting them inside.

OP
G

ghott

Lil-Rokslider
if you are on the ground an old sleeping pad to keep your feet off the frozen ground is very useful. [with the boot blankets.] the chemical warmers will slow down or shut of from lack of oxygen so get them going full steam before putting them inside.

Great tip - I didn't realize the warmers would shut down due to lack of oxygen.