Boot help

I recently purchased some crispi nevadas and went for a hike with them today. My heels had some pretty bad slip going up and my right foot hit the end of my boot coming down. I am going to return them and now I need a new pair of boots. I am looking for a do it all boot from august to November in northern utah and colorado. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Probably can’t return the boots if you went on a hike with them.

I’d change the lacing, maybe try a superfeet insole, maybe different socks.

OP
B
Camp saver will take them back for store credit. I did try changing up the lacing a bit. I could try different socks but already using darn tough socks

Maybe a different size I noticed I needed to be a size bigger then everyday footwear to prevent my toes and heels rubbing

Hondo

WKR
They could just be a bad fit for you.

An insole with a deep heel cup, such as Superfeet Green, can help minimize heel slippage but can't correct poor fit.

You could try some other socks, maybe thicker, just to see if that makes a difference. I wear different socks with different boots for fine tuning fit. I also have mixed feelings about Darn Tough socks that relates to slippage. I've had minimal issues (too tight in calf area) with Darn Tough over the years but the last ones I purchased for trail use gave me blisters on the ball of my feet on a 5 mile hike due to how my forefoot was sliding around. I did the same hike in the same boots with Bridgedale and Smartwool socks in the prior week without issue. Maybe they were so new (1 wash) that they haven't been able to developed any nap that my other socks already have but I've never had that issue with other socks.

As far as other boots to try i would say my best fitting boots overall are Hanwags but everyone's feet are different.

OP
B
I could try in insole but I only want to as a last resort. I want to keep trying boots and find one that fits the best. The darn tough socks I use are the thicker ones. But I have also tried my regular Nike dry fits amd same issue. I might need to look into new socks though. I will give the hanwags I try. I tried the lowa tibets and wasn't a fan. Love the way some of the zamberlan felt on the heel but the toe box was a little tight. The crispi nevadas were the most comfortable until I put them on the mountain.

I really like my Whites Outdoorsman boots. I got the uninsulated pair as my feet tend to run warm anyway and with a nice wool sock in them they work great. I've hunted in warm conditions to 10 degrees in quite a bit of snow and my feet never got cold when stopped just sitting or standing for periods of time. If it's still available request the Montana Claw lug sole. It's the best traction I have found in wet, dry, rock, or snow that I have found. The new sole they show in the pictures looks pretty decent also. When there is an inch or more of snow I find myself putting my Kahtoola Microspikes on. The sure provide a more solid footing and you don't expend so much energy that is lost sliding and slipping.
David

You can request a foot diagram sheet to trace the outline of each of your feet while standing with weight on both feet.

I have the Kahtoola and really like them. (Above) The Hillsound also looks very similar and well built. I expect them to work just as well. I might have gone with the Hillsound if I had found them first. I like the idea of the strap coming over the top of your foot. A good friend lost one of his Kahtoola's on a mountain goat hunt when a branch on a log under the snow caught the side strap on one of his feet and the micro spike came off. He did not notice it until later and had no idea exactly where it had came off his boot. He did contact the company and they sent him a replacement. Good folks!

OP
B
I appreciate your input but I dont believe camp saver has those models. I am limited to what camp saver carries due to where I originally bought my boots.

I loved my Nevada's, but the heel volume was too much for me and I sold them. Way too early to recommend them, but I'm currently loving a pair a Lowa Baldo's. Decent toe volume and a narrower heel. Just too early to judge at this point.

OP
B
I just picked up some hanwag alvertsone 2 gtx. So far they seem to fit my foot better and are super comfy around the house and on the stairs we will see how they do in a couple weeks on the mountian