Boot input needed. Crispi Guide Insulated/Crispi Wild Rock

Rock-o

WKR
First time I wore my Crispi Hunter GTX (taller, stiffer version of the Guide, also 200g) the weather was high 40s during the day. The night temperatures were mid-20s. I had on Darn Tough Hunter Over-the-Calf Extra Cushion (a heavy 79% Merino Wool sock). No liner socks. My activity level was low. My feet were always plenty warm but never hot or sweaty; I think my feet tend to be "average" or maybe slightly on the cool side.

Sorry I don't have any more experience to offer.

I'd buy them again.

Trying to decide between these 2. Anyone have experience with either of these that may could give pros or cons?

Lowland, I have the Crispi Hunter (same as Rock-O), and found them the most comfortable boot I have ever worn.
You asked about the Crispi Guide, it is the same boot as the Hunter, but the Guide is 2 inches shorter in height than the Hunter, as Rock-o has stated. I have also purchased a non insulated Crispi Idaho and a pair of Crispi Wyoming. I love the Crispis, and found they fit perfectly. Unfortunately I have not tried the Wild Rock, so I can't offer any info on those. If you could afford to order both, and try them on and return the ones that you don't like but $800 is a chunk of change. At least you could try them both on, and compare side by side.
BlackOvis and Baker's boots in Eugene, Or are where I made my purchases. BlackOvis has an extra generous return policy.

OP
L

LowLand

FNG
First time I wore my Crispi Hunter GTX (taller, stiffer version of the Guide, also 200g) the weather was high 40s during the day. The night temperatures were mid-20s. I had on Darn Tough Hunter Over-the-Calf Extra Cushion (a heavy 79% Merino Wool sock). No liner socks. My activity level was low. My feet were always plenty warm but never hot or sweaty; I think my feet tend to be "average" or maybe slightly on the cool side.

I'd buy them again.
That is good info. One of the things I wondered about was the warmth level of the 200 vs the 400. I am already leaning towards the Guide anyway. thanks

OP
L

LowLand

FNG
Lowland, I have the Crispi Hunter (same as Rock-O), and found them the most comfortable boot I have ever worn.
You asked about the Crispi Guide, it is the same boot as the Hunter, but the Guide is 2 inches shorter in height than the Hunter, as Rock-o has stated. I have also purchased a non insulated Crispi Idaho and a pair of Crispi Wyoming. I love the Crispis, and found they fit perfectly. Unfortunately I have not tried the Wild Rock, so I can't offer any info on those. If you could afford to order both, and try them on and return the ones that you don't like but $800 is a chunk of change. At least you could try them both on, and compare side by side.
BlackOvis and Baker's boots in Eugene, Or are where I made my purchases. BlackOvis has an extra generous return policy.
My main concern was the warmth for a 3rd season hunt. I"ve got a pair of non insulated Solomans I plan to take as well. Thanks for the input

The Crispi Guide has 200 g insulation, same as the Hunter. I think you would notice much better performance in the cold by using a quality wool sock and liner, than relying on boot insulation alone. However the Wild Rock have 400 g of insulation which is more than either the Hunter or the Guide, so that along with the thicker socks will definitely make a difference in the cold. Obviously, you want to try the boots on wearing the sock system you plan on wearing on the hunt. You want to make sure the volume in your boot will allow you to wear the thick socks.

Last edited:

Firehawk

WKR
I typically only use my Guide GTX when I am hunting in snow for late season cow elk hunts. I have hunted well below zero and been comfortable. I use a thin liner and then a good wool sock-typically the Darn Tough. That said, I am mostly moving and only sitting for short stints of time. My body getting cold is what tends to make me start moving again. I don't recall ever thinking my feet were cold, but again I am not tree stand hunting either.

Love my Crispi Guide boot and they are much more comfortable than my Danner boots were. I had the Danner Santiam or something like that with 400 grains of Thinsulate. They were warm, and I loved the air bob sole, but the boot felt like it was sitting on top of the sole and my feet always felt like they were walking on stilts or cleat or similar. Much prefer these Crispi Guides and it isn't even close. Good luck!

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I have uninsulated guides and really like them, I believe my birksdalls have 200g insulation and I never feel too warm in them, I don’t really wear boots like this for winter stuff though so no idea how warm they really are.

Laelkhunter- how you compare the fit of the Wyoming vs. the hunter? I have a pair of summit and Wyoming in uninsulated versions and prefer the fit of the summit better. both are nice, but the summit is spot on for me and was curious if the hunter feels the same as the Wyoming or if there was any difference. I think the summit fits my ankle area better and it has a slightly narrower footbed or better conforms at the footbed. Just a little less movement in the boot for me.

I am wearing the Wyomings as we speak. Rainy weather here in South La, I wanted my feet to stay dry (so I'm not wearing the Salomons). I find the fit to be identical on the Hunters and the Wyomings, just that the Wyomings are a shorter (in height) boot. All day comfort to me. I have never tried the Summits.
Crispi describes the Summit as an exceptionally lightweight boot. I wouldn't call the Wyomings or Hunters lightweight. Not super heavy but not light. They both offer plenty of support.

Last edited:
I am wearing the Wyomings as we speak. Rainy weather here in South La, I wanted my feet to stay dry (so I'm not wearing the Salomons). I find the fit to be identical on the Hunters and the Wyomings, just that the Wyomings are a shorter (in height) boot. All day comfort to me. I have never tried the Summits.
Crispi describes the Summit as an exceptionally lightweight boot. I wouldn't call the Wyomings or Hunters lightweight. Not super heavy but not light. They both offer plenty of support.

Thanks. That is helpful. The weight difference on the summit and wyoming is not huge, but you do notice it. The summit is my early season go to.

The Summit seems similar, by appearance anyway, to my Salomon Quest 4d GTX They are quite comfortable. They are a little lighter than the Crispis, but not waterproof. I wouldn't wear the Salomons hunting.

Last edited:
Check Blackovis.com, they have the Crispi Summit GTX in their "Sale" section. Color black- not every size but most.
I think they are $272 ?? If you try Rokslide or Rokslide10, or Rokslide20, you might get additional discount. Go to their website and look across the top right hand corner, it says "Sale" or "On sale" then choose "footwear".

Thanks. That is helpful. The weight difference on the summit and wyoming is not huge, but you do notice it. The summit is my early season go to.
Check Blackovis.com, they have the Crispi Summit GTX in their "Sale" section. Color black- not every size but most.
I think they are $272 ?? If you try Rokslide or Rokslide10, or Rokslide20, you might get additional discount. Go to their website and look across the top right hand corner, it says "Sale" or "On sale".

Check out Blackovis.com

gaswamp

FNG

I'd buy them again.
did you buy a bigger size boot than normal wearing those heavy socks

timberbuck

Lil-Rokslider
Trying to decide between these 2. Anyone have experience with either of these that may could give pros or cons?
Do you have another pair of non insulated premium boots for earlier seasons? If so I highly recommend the Wild Rock. I run the non insulated Nevada for earlier/warmer conditions and the Wild Rock for late season. If you can only afford or want one boot for do it all then yes, go for the insulated Guide.