Boot questions first timer

Kshusker

FNG
I am getting prepared for my first back pack hunt, not sure what height of boot I should be looking at do I need a tall boot or would and 8 inch be good enough? I have no ankle problems that I know of so I have been looking at the kenetrak hardscabble. Is this a boot that I could spring and fall hunts in the mountains? Also do I need an insulated boot or is a non insulted good if paired with good wool socks? I have hunted in Wyoming kansas and nebraska none of which were mountains. Thanks for any help

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The only reason we would recommend going with a taller boot is if you will be hunting in the snow. Which state and season will you be hunting?

Depending on what the majority of your hunting is and the type of terrain dictates the kind of boot. For example if you are hunting sheep or goats you will defiantly want a boot that can handle the terrain since your are most likely hiking thru shale sharp rocks cliffs ect. I have a set of boots that I use for most of my hunts Sheep, moose, elk. goat they are La Sportiva Evos they are a mountaineering boot and i find that the stiffer shank really helps me on the descents and climbs. if you are only hunting deer elk there are numerous boots that fit the bill. I have another set of hunting boots Meindl. they are okay boots very light I use them when hunting deer and some elk hunts. Both sets are high boots Best of luck on your hunts. I should also mention I always wear gaiters , they help with debris getting in boots, crossing streams and on some occasions snakes and ofcourse snow

OP
K

Kshusker

FNG
This trip is spring bear wyoming, I am looking to start more back pack hunts ever couple years, as my girls are getting older. Probably will never sheep hunt but will be elk, and deer hunting in the future. Fingers crossed.

stevers75

FNG
It's pretty hard to find one boot to do it all but in your case I would think the hardscrabbles would be fine, maybe throw in some warmer socks. If it appears you need a taller/insulated boot, buy them next and have both!

Fred

Lil-Rokslider
I hunt Idaho deer and elk and I have both the HardScrambble non-insulated and I have the Mtn Extreme 400 Insulated. I have just added the HardScrambbles because the Mtn Extremes were just too warm even thru Nov. I love these boots and I can trust them in the nasty places to grab and hold. You will be really happy with the HardScrambles. I think Kenetrek has them on sale and believe Scheels does too.
Robby Denning wears them and has a write up about them on this site...

OP
K

Kshusker

FNG
I went with the Hardscrabble, I also tried on a couple of the crispi boots. I have a narrow foot and the hardscrabble seemed to fit nicely. The crispi were comfortable but seemed to stretch when I squatted down.

Fred

Lil-Rokslider
You're going to love them. It will kinda freak you out to put the Kenetrek waterproofing on as it darkens them yet it really works and also helps them to break in easier.

OP
K

Kshusker

FNG
Would you recommend the kenetrek wax/waterproofing over the snoseal wax? I have some snowseal just wondering if there is a difference.

LaHunter

WKR
I have been using Lowa Tibet’s and Ticam II boots for the past several years and they have worked great for me. Both are 8” I believe, and both are uninsulated. I have been in snow over my knees in 0 degrees temps with no issues. If you have a good set of gaiters, you should be good. High quality merino wool socks make a big difference for me.

Fred

Lil-Rokslider
Would you recommend the kenetrek wax/waterproofing over the snoseal wax? I have some snowseal just wondering if there is a difference.
I honestly don't know... Give them a call and ask

OP
K

Kshusker

FNG
I tried on the crispi colorado and wyoming, both were comfortable but seemed to relax when I put my weight in them. I have a narrow foot and the leather of the kenetrek didn't stretch or relax when I put weight in them. If I didn't have such a narrow foot it would have been a tougher decision.