Boot recommendations for Montana General Elk?

wildcat33

WKR
After years of swearing by uninsulated boots, I finally got a pair of insulated ones and used them pretty much all hunting season in colorado this year (cold second and third seasons). That said, if you can only have one pair, noninsulated is more versatile. Currently my fav boots are Schnees Granite (insulated) and L&S Hunter (non-insul).

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I was shocked when I read that myself. I'm VERY pleased with mine. When I showed up and the guide had time to get a read on me, he said " you did do your homework." He was wearing the same ones..

Epic quote! Thanks for the kind words!

MT_Wyatt

WKR
I packed 2 elk out wearing the schnees pack boots this year on a super cold days. I’ve got quite a bit of time in their hunter II boots and they have been awesome.

Unless you’re hunting elk in deep snow late in November a normal boot is going to be fine, and will be more ridged than a pack boot. Plus you’ll be able to get some training time with a mountain boot.

I will say I did go in the Schnees store to specifically get fit for their mountain boots. I’m not even from Bozeman and made the point to go in there for that service. Literally didn’t have a boot in stock that was my size, and apparently having a kid with you means you can’t get fitting service....anyways my point being I think they are a fine company and have some very nice products, but like all things in life, they are going to miss sometimes, and I’ve experienced both.

I was shocked when I read that myself. I'm VERY pleased with mine. When I showed up and the guide had time to get a read on me, he said " you did do your homework." He was wearing the same ones..

I didn't have any bad experiences with customer service, I just didn't get the life out of mine that I've come to expect from boots made here.

For work I wear whites, nicks and wescos... all day every day. Up until (and since) my schnees I wore pac boots from whites and hoffman. Ive had multiple pairs of work boots rebuilt and/or resoled. One of my pair of whites is goign back to the early 90's has a full rebuild, plenty of other repair work and I'm not sure how many different soles. They've been covered in concrete, mud/muck/water, hyd oil, ash, lots of fire, woodchips and -30belwo temps & snow. That pair of whites, almost 3 decades old is still as strong as the day I bought them. I understand things wear out and the beauty with many of these american made boots is that when it happens, and a fraction of the new price you can get them fixed or rebuilt. So I purchased a pair of 10" hunter II's based on good reviews from other friends and family. I'll also preface by saying I don't consider myself to be overly hard on things in general but boots also. I use them for their intended purposes but don't take pride in how abusive I can be to a $500 pair of nicks.

My first impression with schnees was they were very comfortable and the leather is beautifully soft. Craftsmanship was top notch and they were wonderfully built. They required less break in (if any) than other pacs that I had in the past. Unfortunately their soft leather was (imo) their weakness as well. It only took 1 wearing in that wet heavy snow and I noticed the leather soaks up water like a sponge. No matter how much obenaufs or leather preservative/repellant I apply they just continue to soak up water. It's as visible as arm pit sweat on a light colored dress shirt. After a couple of wears, I tossed them aside thinking I'd wear them for novelty in the winter; shoveling my side walk or family time outside, but there's no way I could get any work out of them if they were going to pull in water like they did. Over the next 2 or 3 years I maybe wore them 1/2 dozen times each winter shoveling, blowing snow, etc... The bottom of the soles (air bob sole) still look brand new. This November I pulled them out of their dark closet they spend most of their life and I now notice the rubber is badly cracking in the vamp of the boot. Not just a little but literally falling apart. It was unnexpected considering the easy, easy life they've had. My wife has pacs from sorel and rubber boots from LLBean that have cost a fraction of the $$$ my schnees did, have seen 10x's the abuse and show 1/4 of the wear.

Again this isn't a shot at the company. The stitching and craftsmanship is great. Out of the box, comfort is un-rivaled. I just don't believe the materials that were used are worth the asking price, at least not for the longevity I experienced.

my experience and $$$.02

Last edited:

tntrker

WKR
I'd reach out to them as directed above. You definitely have more experience then myself. I purchased mine for last years trip and my next trips made in the future so I expect more out of mine as well but have only worn them during my trip and while hiking ridges here for a year (snow less) staying in shape. I did run into some snow and marsh/creek situations while on my trip with no wet issues inside. I do keep them rubbed with Kenetreks boot wax thoroughly. I hope they make things right with you.