Boot Recommendations

tedgray86

FNG
Anyone have a boot recommendation for Western Hunting (mostly in Arizona)? I just recently purchased the Danner 600 boots/hiking boots and they aren't going to work very well for me. Not great ankle support and just not happy with them. Couple of options I am looking at, just don't know much about them. Also, trying to stick around the $200-$300 budget.

La Sportiva - Nucleo High II GTX
Scarpa - Zodiac Plus GTX
Hoka - Kaha Gore-Tex
Salewa - MS Crow GTX

Thanks

Scarpa - Zodiac Plus GTX - I own these and also the Zodiac's. They work great in Colorado sidehilling, especially the Zodiacs.

For the Zodiac you have to size those to your foot size as they are stiff. If your foot does not fit the last then they will not work for you (true of most really stiff mountain boots). They feel wide in the forefoot to me and narrow in the heel which fits my foot shape real well.

For the Zodiac Plus I have those sized up a half size to my "normal" boot size - those are slightly more flexible so you can go a little larger for room on the downhills.

For sticking to the rocky hillside with absolute confidence and comfort though I take the stiffer Zodiacs. Those will feel pretty weird until they are broken in and then foot heaven.

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Anyone have a boot recommendation for Western Hunting (mostly in Arizona)? I just recently purchased the Danner 600 boots/hiking boots and they aren't going to work very well for me. Not great ankle support and just not happy with them. Couple of options I am looking at, just don't know much about them. Also, trying to stick around the $200-$300 budget.

La Sportiva - Nucleo High II GTX
Scarpa - Zodiac Plus GTX
Hoka - Kaha Gore-Tex
Salewa - MS Crow GTX

Thanks

Check out our Beartooth 0g boot. It' should serve you well in AZ. Bonus, it will be on sale tomorrow for 20% off..

mmac

WKR
I would try a bunch of pairs, every foot is different. I have found Crispi's fit me well, but I am trying the Schnee's when one of my pairs wear out. I really like some of the features of those. Lowa's are great as are many others. There is no way for someone to tell you what the best is, your feet are different. Find some locations with boots to try on around you and spend a day running around or order online and return.

Tamaracks from sportsmen’s warehouse are light weight cheap on price and to me compare just as good as the higher end brands. Went on a scouting trip this past weekend and they hold up great no fatigue on a 4 mile up and down rocky hills out here in Az ! And the ankle support is good too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ran the Hanwag Alverstone this year and they are AWESOME. goHUNT has a great description "Ideally suited for mountain hunts with moderate to steep technical terrain where more rigidity is required. Some break-in time required but will likely become your favorite do everything hunting boots". I can attest that they are a do everything boot. I will say if you do look into them; go 1/2 size up.

Check out our Beartooth 0g boot. It' should serve you well in AZ. Bonus, it will be on sale tomorrow for 20% off..

Hey Matt,

Sorry I dont have enough posts yet to DM, How do the Beartooth and Granite fit compared to the Crispi Guide? I just ordered about 6k worth of boots to try, Crispi seem to fit my foot best, I thought I was gonna be a 9w but after wearing them around the house for a few hours they started feeling a little sloppy, so I was about to pull the trigger on a 9.5, but a buddy told me about Schnees before I placed the order.

Thanks

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
Hey Matt,

Sorry I dont have enough posts yet to DM, How do the Beartooth and Granite fit compared to the Crispi Guide? I just ordered about 6k worth of boots to try, Crispi seem to fit my foot best, I thought I was gonna be a 9w but after wearing them around the house for a few hours they started feeling a little sloppy, so I was about to pull the trigger on a 9.5, but a buddy told me about Schnees before I placed the order.

Thanks

I bought the crispi guides and thought I liked them and they would be the ones but before I took them outside I ordered the beartooths.. they fit like a glove! Took a lot of different boots to find the ones that fit.

also I found the beartooth true to size I had the crispi 10.5 but got beartooth in 10 which is my usual

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Hey Matt,

Thanks

sorry for the delayed response here. As Highhuntin said, our boots fit true to size and we mean that in the most literal sense. The lasts we use to build our boots are sized against a branock device, which is the metal foot measuring tool in most shoe stores, footwear departments, etc.. If you need anything else, shoot me an email. [email protected]