Boot Selection Help Needed: Flexibility + Cushioning, not a mountain hunter (I Have Tried Many and Failed)

Mawgie

FNG
Folks,

I live in the East and am primarily a hilly woodland whitetail chaser with dreams of western hunting, or at least Canada, before my time is up. I am looking for a higher than mid-height, uninsulated, waterproof (Goretex or other membrane) hunting boot with a plush ride: flexibility, cushioning and light-ish weight are high priorities. Ankle support is important, but I am not scrambling through scree fields in the steeps with a goat plus camp on my back (sadly!).

Other wish list, but non-essential features would be a full rubber rand, and a lug pattern on the sole that sheds mud ok.

For cold and colder weather, I run insulated Danner Pronghorns, one in 800, and one in 1200 Thinsulate. (We frequently post up and sit when we hunt, and my feet run cold on any given day.) They are wearing ok, but these boots aren't worn that often. They are pretty bulky and hefty.

I'm looking for a pair of more expensive boots with better build quality than the Pronghorns. (These new boots will see many hours of wear/miles scouting, hunting, doing chores, etc.) I recently purchased a pair of Crispi Lapponias and the fit was superb. I loved them, but unfortunately they were a bit stiffer and less cushioned than I want (even with upgraded insoles), and longer sessions with them gave me some discomfort. I also recently went to the entire opposite end of the spectrum and tried a paid of Hoka One Kahas, which are light and fluffy mid height...er...sneakers. They are comfy, but cost $220, and -to me- are way more sneaker than boot.

Gen 5 Danner Pronghorns are a possibility, but their build quality is not so bueno, from what I have read. I have owned Danner Sharptails in the past, and they were ok, but build quality was not great. I have tried Salmon Quest 4D, and they were too stiff, and the volume of the fit was not great for my foot.

The boots I may buy next, not like and lose money on include: 1) from Schnees, the Timberline or the brandy new Kestrel: most of what I have read states that the Timberline is stiffer than the Lapponia, so I probably will not buy them. The Kestrel looks staggeringly expensive for a light duty boot, but they say it is a Zero flex, so it might be good for my application. Unfortunately, my polite e-mails to Schnees asking boot questions have been mostly ignored, which makes me want to not give them my money. The Meindl UltraLite Hunter might be good, but it is a 9" boot, and I would prefer something around 8", backpacking boot height and trim enough so my pant cuff won't always be bunched and riding above the boot. Lowa makes a burlier version of their classic mil-spec Zephyr boot called the Z8, which looks promising, but is in short supply in the states, and over $300. And boot reviews outside of New Zealand are essentially nonexistent for the "Zed 8".

Kennetrek looks like they are all too stiff. I have ruled out Merrell, Irish Setter, Oboz, Under Armour, Adidas Terex, and anything that I believe is poor quality or essentially a trail rated sneaker. Ankles do get rolled where I hunt, and feet can and do get banged up. I require a boot, not a sneaker.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should try next? Any particular suggestions from the other familiar euro players: Hanwag; Lowa; Zamberlan; maybe Scarpa (I understand Scarpas to run narrow in the toe box, which is bad for me)?

(A low volume, tight fitting toe box will not work for me. The Crispi Laponia 44.5 was MONEY, fit wise.)

Thanks for any suggestions.

Last edited:

coyyota

WKR
Schnees Beartooth II might be worth checking out. Possibly a little stiffer than what you’re looking for but they might check all of your other boxes. Know you haven’t had good luck hearing back from them, that’s a bummer.

Last edited:
OP
M

Mawgie

FNG
Thanks mikevoyles,

The Beartooth2 is a Flex 2 chassis and they weigh 4.6 pounds a pair (6" boot). Not quite what I'm after but I appreciate your input.

I have hunted Eastern Whitetails in Mississippi, Black Bear in Canada and Elk in Utah with the same Meindl boots. Mine are the Perfekt Hikers from Cabelas. Getting ready to order my fourth pair from Meindl USA. I work in an office daily but when I’m not there these boots are on my feet. If they fit you, and you will know when you put them on, they are the best boot. IMO

OP
M

Mawgie

FNG
Mr Drysdale, thanks. I am thinking your Cabelas Perfekt Hikers would correspond to the Comfort Fit Lite Hiker on the Meindl USA website? (Meindl USA does not list a Perfekt Hiker.)

Do you find Meindl to run true to size?

JMDavies

WKR
I had Lathrop and Sons map my feet and make a recommendation for the boot that best suited me. The mapping allows them to customize the insole that fits both the boot and your foot. They'll also be able to tell you what boot fits the majority of your criteria. Check it out, they are very helpful.

OP
M

Mawgie

FNG
JM Davies, thanks. I have looked at the Lathrop fit system and it is intriguing. I have also read a couple of horror story posts from folks who didn’t get great results from Lathrop, but that could very well be the vocal minority. I’ll go back over their website info again.

OP
M

Mawgie

FNG
I figured it out. The Cabelas Perfekt Hiker is the same as the Meindl Comfort Fit Hiker, not the Meindl Comfort Fit LITE Hiker. The Comfort Fit Hiker has been updated, particularly to improve rand wear, but they are very closely related.

Last edited:

bigbulls

Lil-Rokslider
I just ordered a pair of these to see how they fit, sounds like they may fit a lot of your needs . Lowa Renegade GTX Mid Boot

ljalberta

WKR
I have to say, the Quest 4d is one of the most flexible boots I’ve ever worn. The Lowa Renegade is similarly flexible. I’ll be real curious to see what you do end up with. Unfortunately I can’t think of any mid height+ boots that I’ve tried or seen that are even more flexible.

nphunter

WKR
I don’t think that you will find a less flexible boot that the Laponia with a rubber rand. Scarpa has all kinds of lasts they use, they don’t all run narrow, you can read about each last on there website and it will tell you which last is narrow and which is wide. My Scarpa Grand Dru’s have more room in the toe box than my Crispi Nevada’s which are a Wide.

boots do flex more as they are worn, the problem with a superflexible boots it they wear out quick, the rands separate and the leather and rubber break down where they flex. If flexible is your top priority a hiking shoe is your best bet. You will give up durability and longevity as well as some waterproofness going that route. You really need to prioritize your needs and start from there.

Typically higher end leather boots are designed to be resoled and for that reason they have a little beefier midsole which leads to being stiffer.

Keen makes some decent leather boots that would fit your needs. I use to wear the Ketchum, they use a non gortex but waterproof liner but don’t have a full rubber rand, they have rubber coming up over the toe. I use to wear these and they normally lasted me for a solid year before they were shot. They aren’t super light like a non leather hiker but my 10 year old that is only 68lbs has been wearing my old ones around with no issues, we had to cross a couple creeks Friday shed hunting and his feet stayed dry. For a taller boot I would look at there summit and targhee boots.

Honestly I don’t think you will find a more flexible boot than the Crispi you already tried in a high end boot. I have the Nevada’s and they are way too flexible for me and they are stiffer than the laponia.

Mr Drysdale, thanks. I am thinking your Cabelas Perfekt Hikers would correspond to the Comfort Fit Lite Hiker on the Meindl USA website? (Meindl USA does not list a Perfekt Hiker.)

Do you find Meindl to run true to size?
Yes. I wear a 9.5 across the board and that’s the size I wear in the Meindl’s.

Frost

FNG
Have you looked at Irish Setter Elk Trackers? You said you ruled out Irish setter but I think that boot would fit what you’re looking for very well, except two things- it’s taller, and no rubber rand. But as others have said high end hunting boots with rands tend to be stiffer. I had a pair of elk trackers for my hunting boots for about two years and they held up well considering the miles I put on them. Stayed waterproof a long time. That boot is quite flexible compared to most, yet still has some ankle support. Soft ride and very comfortable for miles of hiking. Pretty light and plenty of room in the toe box. I have since gone to stiffer boots and like them much better for the steep stuff that I hunt, but I think they would fit the bill very well for what you’re describing.

The Salomon 4D's are what your describing. They may seem a little stiff at first, but will quickly become very flexible.

What you are describing that you want is a trekking boot but with a light hiker sole. To my knowledge no one makes a boot like that. With what I have read the Laponia that you own is about as flexible as you are going to get.

As far as your question about Meindl Boots sizing. I have a high arch wide foot. I am wearing a 13ee in my cabelas/Meindl Denali boot. Under there own brand it is the Vackum. I have a measured 12ee and the Keen boots that I came from before getting boots capable of western hunting fit great in both a 12ee and 13 regular. I have gone through a set of Lowa Camino’s in 12ee because I read they ran larger that fit great for a month and as they broke in the top crease started putting unbearable pressure on the top of my foot. I then went to a Salomon Quest 4d in 13. They were ok fitting just not great. I believe if they made that boot in a wide it would have been the best for me. I then was able to get my current boot which from what I have read runs true to slightly large. The 12ee were tight for me and the 13ee fit well but even they are slightly tight towards the end of the day after my feet swell.

I wish you well in your search but suspect no one makes what you are describing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RCB

WKR
Did you have any particular problem with the Hoka One One other than they were "like a sneaker?" I had that shoe in mind as I read your post, because they seem to offer more cushion than anything else. What's wrong with something that feels like a sneaker?

My impression is that you are shopping in the 3lb+ boot market, but you really shouldn't be. Look for things that are sub 3 lbs. Even sub 2.5 lbs. Merrell Moab, Salomon Ultra X Mid, Lowa Renegade, Hoka One One Kaha are common options. You're not going to get "lightweight" and "cushioned" and "flexible" from premium full-leather European-made mountain boots (i.e. Crispi Lowa Schnees Zamberlan Asolo Scarpa Kenetrek Hanwag...). I know that's almost all anyone talks about here, but I think that's not going to work for you

Last edited:
OP
M

Mawgie

FNG
RCB,

The Hoka One Kahas simply won't cut it for me in terms of ankle support and protection, which is not a knock on them. They simply aren't designed for it. They were comfortable enough, but -for me- my Brooks Cascadia trail runners cover what I would use the Kahas for.

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
I would give a serious look at hanwag banks II, camofire has had them recently for under half off as they get ready to update the model. Get a wide

I have a pair I love and it's exactly what you describe you are looking for.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk