Boot shopping history for wide feet

Ramshead

Lil-Rokslider
I have been primarily using Cabelas Meindl's for about 25 years now, 10 of that as a guide. I have a 4E width foot as well but can make do just fine with the wide Meind's. My sheep hunting boot is the Denali which I quite like. They are currently available in the wide (2E) at Cabelas Canada and would be worth a shot IMO. If you don't like the stock insole, the Montrail Enduro LP (low Profile) is a good choice for large volume feet.

OP
G
I have been primarily using Cabelas Meindl's for about 25 years now, 10 of that as a guide. I have a 4E width foot as well but can make do just fine with the wide Meind's. My sheep hunting boot is the Denali which I quite like. They are currently available in the wide (2E) at Cabelas Canada and would be worth a shot IMO. If you don't like the stock insole, the Montrail Enduro LP (low Profile) is a good choice for large volume feet.

Thanks good info. Danners are out for delivery so I will know soon if they will work. If not, I'm trying Meindls.

OP
G
Reporting back on the Dannner Mountain Assaults. Really nice boot I'm wearing them right now. Stiff shank, but doesn't feel that way because of the shape of the vibram sole - same sole used on a Tibet I believe. Almost feels like it might be a 3/4 or 1/2 shank. I thought the sizing on the box was interesting - 12US EE, 11.5UK, 47 EUR. So one size larger on UK and EUR than
typical, although in line with Meindls sizing. However, my 12 feels more like an 11.5, and I read online they run small before purchasing. I'd get a 12.5 but half sizing stops at 12.
I think they are true to width for EE, and I probably need a EEEE, which no one makes. They are one of the best width toe boxes I've found yet though, I'll have to wear them some more to decide. I'm not getting my big or little toe driving into the sides like I will with alot of boots, it just feels like all my toes are touching and I can't really move them if that makes sense. The ankle and tongue area is really stiff on these boots I could see that they would need some break-in or you'd have some problems. And I don't know if I like the "speed lacing" system. Overall though these are a pretty good deal I think they're every bit as good as a Kenetrek.

After wearing them for a few hours they are not as stiff as a Kenetrek

Last edited:
OP
G
Also the lacing guide on the tongue that keeps it centered is in a spot where the laces don't naturally cross through it so that's kind of useless. And like all boots the foot bed is pretty weak but it is kinda of a cushy gel thing. It's really low profile so how they fit me I don't think I'd have room for superfeet

Ramshead

Lil-Rokslider
goathunter: Given what you have said, I wonder if you should at least try a Size 13. If your foot is feeling a little snug now, when your feet expand and enlarge after a long hot day on the mountain your boots will not cut it. If you try the Denalis, check out the size 13 as well. I had to go up a size in them.

OP
G
goathunter: Given what you have said, I wonder if you should at least try a Size 13. If your foot is feeling a little snug now, when your feet expand and enlarge after a long hot day on the mountain your boots will not cut it. If you try the Denalis, check out the size 13 as well. I had to go up a size in them.

Good to know. It's just a hassle since I have to mail order everything. Have you checked out the Denalis on Cabelas online recently? They look like they may have been redesigned

Ramshead

Lil-Rokslider
Yes, I have looked online at the new version (Denali) and the only difference that I can see is a redesigned midsole that appears to have more polyurethane and less EVA than before. It may provide for a more cushioned heel strike, but this is only speculation on my part.

OP
G
Original post - "boot history" updated. I have some Scarpa Kinesis in a 46.5 EUR / 12.5 US coming. My thought here was the 46 was very close to working and I didn't want to size up all the way to a 13 yet, and Scarpa does 1/2 sizes above 12. If this doesn't work, I plan on trying the Menidl Alaskan Hunter if Cabelas gets them in stock.

OP
G
12.5 Kenisis feels pretty good. With my wool socks, if I put my feet all the way forward I can get my index finger behind the heel. But these could just fit my toe box because they are way too big. Don't get hardly any heel lift but have them tightened down with lacing techniques for heel lift. How big is too big?

IMG_20160726_120449227.jpg

IanF.

Lil-Rokslider
My name is Ian, and I have big wide feet...13 d to eeee depending on maker.

Right now my Lowa Tibet LL are ok, working with a cobbler to fight some spots. There are many different varieties of the Tibet, the LL (leather lined) fits wide.

They replaced meindl lightweights which fit fell, however they didn't give me enough support and contributed to my blown out feet (the bigger issue I've been fighting for 3 years).

I wear Merrell Moab low WIDE daily and they are the best so far, they also make an ankle version.

Danner Gavre 4e (same as Gila, just cheaper no optifade) started ok, but then said no to me...

Tried on some vasque breeze 2.0 gtx and they where close, they make a wide I haven't been able to try yet.

I have some hi-tec altitude iv wp in d and 2e waiting to try on, time will tell

Also I found this recently
Hiking Boots For Wide, Flat, Narrow Feet 2016 | Boot Bomb

Lastly, a blundstone rep,told me once try on two or three pair of the same boot if you can, no two are the same if made from leather.

My current quest is more of a mid to light hiker and I'm complicated by orthotics.

Hope this helps

Ian

OP
G

Right now my Lowa Tibet LL are ok, working with a cobbler to fight some spots. There are many different varieties of the Tibet, the LL (leather lined) fits wide.

They replaced meindl lightweights which fit fell, however they didn't give me enough support and contributed to my blown out feet (the bigger issue I've been fighting for 3 years).

I wear Merrell Moab low WIDE daily and they are the best so far, they also make an ankle version.

Danner Gavre 4e (same as Gila, just cheaper no optifade) started ok, but then said no to me...

Tried on some vasque breeze 2.0 gtx and they where close, they make a wide I haven't been able to try yet.

I have some hi-tec altitude iv wp in d and 2e waiting to try on, time will tell

Also I found this recently
Hiking Boots For Wide, Flat, Narrow Feet 2016 | Boot Bomb

Lastly, a blundstone rep,told me once try on two or three pair of the same boot if you can, no two are the same if made from leather.

My current quest is more of a mid to light hiker and I'm complicated by orthotics.

Hope this helps

Ian

Thanks for the info. I wear Merrel Moabs daily too. Interesting on the Leather Lined Tibets, I'll have to try - I had written Lowa off.

I am still debating Scarpa Kinesis in what they call a 46.5-12.5 US.

Tried the brand new Meindl Denalis in a 12US EE, and (the insole) was a touch longer than the Kinesis 12.5 (although the outsole of the kinesis is longer)- I would say Meindls run big in my opinion and were too big so I'm returning them.
I want to try a Meindl in an 11.5 EE now.

Curious as to what you show for width in a Brannock (foot measuring) device. My foot shows just over a 4E, so I try to get 6E if I can but no one makes it other than New Balance. I have yet to find a boot that doesn't rub somewhere.

CarlTuesday

Lil-Rokslider
Reading through here, and depending on the manufacturer's last they use (mainly I'm a skiing guy), it's certainly possible that the widths vary across foot lengths too. Happens with changes not exactly being proportional as lengths increase or decrease in a makers line, so ymmv.

I measure EE and EEE on the two feet, but wear an 8.5 for reference (got a full size difference between feet and split the difference). EE is probably about right on the Asolos, and with a little stretching it fits the bigger/wider foot just fine.

IanF.

Lil-Rokslider
Curious as to what you show for width in a Brannock (foot measuring) device. My foot shows just over a 4E, so I try to get 6E if I can but no one makes it other than New Balance. I have yet to find a boot that doesn't rub somewhere.

To be honest I have ignored the brannock (now I know it's name) for years and go straight to trying them on, width to me was once described as a circle, it could be perfectly round or squashed flat, still the same circumference. I had such high hopes for,the Danners and really wanted them to fit, but inthink all on this thread have been there. I have very high arches and suffer from metatarsalingia (foot ball pain) that has driven me off the mountains. My orthotics add volume to the front as well, which makes my/our problem even worse.

New balance has been good for me for work shoes, but had no stock on the lighter hikers...

Ian

Didn't read entire thread so this may have already been mentioned. I had a boot that was close to width but a little tight in the outside of my foot. I ended up putting 4 pairs of socks on and took a heat gun to the rubber rand to stretch it all out. All has been good since. Have to be careful you do not melt it. I kept the heat gun moving and heated the rand slowly. The second I would see smoke I would pull away. Keep away from sole as best as you can so you don't prematurely wear them out. Might want to give it a shot if you run into a similar scenario.

IanF.

Lil-Rokslider
So the hi-tec's where a bust, I had such high hopes.....order is in for the Vasque breezes, think it maybe awhile before stock shows up......

I have 14 EEE, which is a tricky size because many of the manufacturers stop making wide sizes at 13.
You would think manufacturers would wise up to the fact there are more people with big feet out there than they seem to be accounting for. Seems like it could be an untapped market since 14EE or larger is usually one of the first sizes to sell out.

Danner seems to be hit or miss for me, some fit ok, most don't. I was hoping to try the mountain assaults this season since its one of the few heavier duty hiking boots that COULD fit me alright. its just that its hard to tell wearing them in the house when can still return them, its usually at mile 3 with a heavy pack when my feet start screaming at me.

I will probably stick with my danner ridgemasters this season, since they are the most comfortable boots I have tried, even if my feet do get beat to hell side hilling in them.

OP
G
I emailed this thread to Lowa. They did respond and say they have no plans for a 4E boot because there is not enough demand, but if I wanted more info to email the German Lowa site directly. I sent the Scarpas Kinesis 46.5 and Meindl Denali 12EE back and have some 11.5EE Meindl Denalis coming. Does anyone have experience if the Denalis size differently than the (new 200g) Meindl Alaskans?