Boot size (length) fit?

So recently I wore a pair of Danner Pronghorns on an Aoudad hunt in SW Texas and quickly realized I needed an upgrade in boots for mountain/rocky terrain. Found a pair of Crispi Lapponia's so I ordered them up in the same size as my Hoka shoes which I wear for work (on my feet for the better part of 12 hours as an ER nurse) but are technically running shoes. I got fitted at a true running store and was told that having a some extra length in the toe box is good.

So my question for mountain style boots and use, how much "extra" length is good? The boots showed up yesterday and I've been wearing them around the house and love how they feel. There's enough space my toes will never jam into the front of the boot, but I want to make sure I'm not setting myself up for slipping around and still getting blisters when they are being put to the test.

Here’s a photo of where my toe ends.

Attachments

• 75FFDFE7-D7BA-4B20-B1D8-43DA6F5FB4FE.jpeg
    75FFDFE7-D7BA-4B20-B1D8-43DA6F5FB4FE.jpeg
    397.8 KB · Views: 40
I’m not a boot expert by any means but that is bigger than I would like but it depends how it feels and how thick of socks you are going to wear. I don’t like my foot sliding around in my boots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those look too big to me. Especially looking at how the leather is creasing. Thats for me and how my foot is shaped and how it bends anyways. May be different for you.

OP
Shady oaks
I kind of thought the same thing. I’m sending them back, and unfortunately there’s no boots smaller available. So it’s back to searching I go.

The lapponia 2 has come out and looks like it might be a bit better with the laces going farther down. Might be worth a look.

Im of the opinion that if you have to think hard about whether or not the boots fit, its time to cut your losses and move on. You will know when it is the perfect fit.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Room in the toe box is essential for me; it's typically where most boots fail in my experience.

I've tried wide sizes to get a roomier toe box only to find out that while it usually gives adequate toe box room, the heel and midfoot are sloppy fitting.

Everyone's foot is different, but I found the Crispi Thor II to give my foot a perfect fit- roomy toe box, but it gives me a very precise heel/midfoot AND still provides a roomy toe box.

There are a lot of well made boots out there, but usually only a few that fit perfectly- it's worth the time, effort and $ to find that pair :D

GR1NCH11

FNG
Room in the toe box is essential for me; it's typically where most boots fail in my experience.

I've tried wide sizes to get a roomier toe box only to find out that while it usually gives adequate toe box room, the heel and midfoot are sloppy fitting.

Everyone's foot is different, but I found the Crispi Thor II to give my foot a perfect fit- roomy toe box, but it gives me a very precise heel/midfoot AND still provides a roomy toe box.

There are a lot of well made boots out there, but usually only a few that fit perfectly- it's worth the time, effort and $ to find that pair :D
mtwarden, I am looking for a similar fit to what you describe, wide toe box with a normal midfoot/heel. The team at Blackovis recomended against the Thor 2, saying it is a narrower boot, but your description makes me think they may work for me. I dont have a wide foot persay, but I dont like smashed together toes. I guess my question would be how the Thor compares to the width of a nike running shoe or similar?

NWBLKTAIL

FNG
Throw a little bit of weight in pack and go hike around your local hills, you will be able to tell pretty quickly if it works or does not. I bought the same pair bigger than I normally would because I have toes getting smashed together issues, and honestly it works for me. Only YOU will know if it works for you.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
mtwarden, I am looking for a similar fit to what you describe, wide toe box with a normal midfoot/heel. The team at Blackovis recomended against the Thor 2, saying it is a narrower boot, but your description makes me think they may work for me. I dont have a wide foot persay, but I dont like smashed together toes. I guess my question would be how the Thor compares to the width of a nike running shoe or similar?

I'm wearing the Thor in the same size as my trail running shoe (LaSportiva Akasha). I find the toe box generous in both.

I had an old pair of LaSportiva boots (Omega's) that fit perfectly, should have bought three or four pairs as they discontinued them. Got into the Thors and they fit me perfectly, enough so I grabbed another lightly used pair on the classifieds here :)