Boot Stiffness

Rokwiia

WKR
I just tried on a pair of Kenetrek Hardscrabble and found them too stiff for my liking. Two questions:

1) Schnee has five Flex levels of boots (0-4). What Flex level would the Kenetrek be equivalent to in the Schnee?

2) How does the stiffness of the Kenetrek compare to Hoffmans? I'm considering the Explorer Light.

farmer14

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve never worn Schnee’s or Hoffman’s but have worn the Hardscrabble. I agree with you, too stiff for me. The back of the boot near the ankle would dig in and never loosened up for me. Their guides (old model) were much less stiff. Recently using the Crispi Nevada uninsulated and they are not nearly as stiff as the Hardscrabbles. FWIW.

Wyomuleskinner

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the hardscrabble boot last year. It’s terrible I’m using them to mow the lawn to get my monies worth out of them but they suck big time. If you call schnees they are very helpful

What does too stiff mean? I spent the last week climbing up and down talus fields in Colorado. I have lowa tibets which are seen as very stiff and couple of times i wished they were stiffer. For pronghorn in Wyoming i would never wear too stiff tibets. A flexible shank would be better for that. I think context matters for boots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Rokwiia

Rokwiia

WKR
You're correct, context does matter and I should have stated that from the beginning. I will using these boots from April through November hiking in forests where it is wet, thickly wooded, and rocky only near the summit.

For me, a bit of flex is helpful.

gelton

WKR
May want to have a look at the Meindle Comfort Fit Extreme...I havent had a chance to put them through their paces yet (will be in about 30 days) but during the initial break-in, they have lived up to their name and are a lot less stiff than the Lowa Hunters and Tibets I have used in the past.

Beendare

WKR
MY take;
I ran the more flexible boots for many years; Soloman 4d GTX.....and I now prefer the Hoffmans in situations where I'm doing off trail and side hilling stuff. I still wear day hikers and more flexible boots on trails. I don't like softer boots on ground where those soft boots twist...it wears my feet out.

The Hoffmans are comparable to the Lowa Tibet and Hardscrabble [my 2 buddies had each on a recent hunt]

My Hoffmans took some break in [about 60 miles] and I had to toughen up my heel to prevent blisters. I wore a light liner sock for awhile, and ran a dull metal edge over my bare heel twice a day for a couple weeks to build up tougher skin.

I have problem feet [peripheral neuropathy] and the short story is my feet just feel better after a day in the stiffer boot with a good insole. I think just about everyone's feet would prefer the more solid stable platform of a stiffer boot....but it takes some getting used to.

___

Last edited:

DANNY-L

Lil-Rokslider
New member here and am usually on 24hr cf,a member there lead me to here for input on good/bad boots for hunting. I have been thinking of buying a pair of the mountain extreme for hunting. Stiffness is the only negative I have read about. I've never owned a pair so might want to look at maybe the crispi brand instead. Would rubbing them down with something like saddle soap soften them any?

OP
Rokwiia

Rokwiia

WKR
Just received the Schnee Timberline boots today. Wowser! They fit like a glove and are the most comfortably-fitting footwear, of any type, I've put on my feet in a very long time.

I've been concerned when buying boots because I've worn nothing but trail runners the past two decades to backpack in. These Timberlines are Schnee Flex level 1 and feel a bit stiff on my feet but do flex with movement. The Hardscrabble didn't flex much if at all.

For me, there's no comparison between the Kenetrek Hardscrabble and the Timberline. The Hardscrabble felt like a cement block compared to these but in fairness to the Hardscrabble my feet are not used to a rigid boot sole.

I'll report back after I've used the Timberlines on several hikes. They feel comfortable enough to use outdoors with minimal break in, if any.