Boot treatment/polish/waterproofer

Never really used much on boots except spray can scotch guard. I have never had a pair of leather boots over $100 either. I was just wondering what people are using on their boots to help keep the water out and the leather on the softer side as they get older and wet /dry over and over. I tried doing some research but there are so many products out there claiming to all do the same thing basically. Cabelas has their own polish, Sno-Seal, silicone, spray sealer...........what are you guys/girls using?

miller1

Lil-Rokslider
i use G wax from lathrop & sons and cabelas has obenaufs treatment, both are very good

Curtis C

WKR
Obenaufs on mine. I started using it when I bought my first pair of Red Wing work boots. They lasted 4 years with quarterly treatment. Thats pretty darned good considering they are regularly subjected to gasoline, engine oils, coolant, and other solvents daily.

C

a3dhunter

WKR
Obenaufs on mine. I started using it when I bought my first pair of Red Wing work boots. They lasted 4 years with quarterly treatment. Thats pretty darned good considering they are regularly subjected to gasoline, engine oils, coolant, and other solvents daily.

C
same thing here, holds up better than the other "wax" that I've used.

Obenhauf's is awesome stuff and put 10 years on my last pair of La Sportiva mountaineering boots with it.
Just a word of caution...those of you wearing Kenetrek boots, Do Not use Obenhauf's. Because of the different glues Kenetrek uses, the Obenhauf's will delaminate your boots. I am using the Kenetrek boot treatment and have had no issues the last 3 years with my boots.

Lawnboi

WKR
Just keep in mind, alot of companies dont reccomend Obenhaufs because it causes rand separation in some makes of boots. I know lowa dosnt reccomend it either.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
I have been using Nikwax with a coating of Techtron applied over the top. Many years ago in some outdoor article this was supposed to have been the best option available for waterproofing. Has worked for me.