Boot Weight and Fatigue

SgtTanner

Lil-Rokslider
Good evening.

I just returned from a backpacking trip. Nothing huge, but the longest trip/heaviest pack combo I’ve done in several years. About 22 miles in 3 days thru the Dolly Sods Wilderness. Highly recommend it if you’re in the area.

The question: how much does boot weight play into fatigue? I’m running Schnees Timberlines, and I love them in almost every way. But after that many miles I’m real sore in my hip flexors, both in the front of the hip, as well as in the lower back where the flexors tie in. Would lighter boots help this? Anyone have suggestions on boots with similar support/stiffness at a lighter weight? Schnees lists that boot at 3.7 lbs/pair. I’m size 14, if that matters (I get that size 14 boots are likely heavier than 3.7 lbs, but I’m going by that weight for the sake of comparison - since they should list weight for the same size across different boot models).

Schnees has a Granite Lite version out that might be an option, but they don’t list a weight.

Thanks for your help.

All American Boy

Lil-Rokslider
Not sure if it will help hip flexors. Think about it though, the weight on your back is a constant, but in 22 miles you lifted each foot about 20,000 times. A 3.7 pound boot vs a 1.5 pound boot makes a big difference.

Boot weight weights are subjective, heavy loads and rough off trail terrain demand a heavy boot. Lighter pack and more trails can do a lighter boot.

Dif the AT many years ago, 2100+ miles, started off with some bad boot decisions before I dialed it in.

Big fan of Asolo, but there are many good brands. Stick with a hiking boot from Asolo, Merrell, Vasque, etc and your feet will thank you. Try them all on, as different brands fit different people.

Heavy, stiff boots have their place but they do contribute to fatigue. The old backpacking maxim is a pound on your feet is like 5 in your pack. Trying experimenting with lighter foot hear but be aware that you will need to condition your feet and ankles to be safe.

eamyrick

WKR
I’m also a size 14. I’ve had this discussion with a a lot of guys that favor the Salomon 4d boots. There run a 1/2 small for me and I wear the Asolo Thyrus. I can’t recommend them enough. Large toe box and zero break in time. I rotate them every day. I moved to them over heavier boots. In super rocky terrain I wear a mid weight wool sock instead of the normal poly/wood blends.

FLAK

WKR
Size 14 Wide here, I feel your pain.
I tried some Salomon wides but couldnt get my
foot IN the boot. (they're not really wides IMO).

You can get conditioned for it. I backcountry ski as my primary winter activity and ski/skins/ski boots/bindings adds up to almost 10 pounds per foot. My hip flexors will scream at me for a few weeks until I get into ski shape. A few years ago I started adding on ankle weights in the preseason to ease myself into it.

Rokwiia

WKR
I bought a pair of Schnee Timberlines a month ago after twice running into a Timber Rattler within a three-week period. The decades before that, I've worn either running shoes or trail runners as they're called today. INOV-8s.

There is no question that wearing heavier shoes/boots causes fatigue. For every mile walked, I'm lifting over 2,400 pounds more weight with the Timberlines compared to my INOV-8 315. Walk 8 miles and you're lifting almost 20,000lbs more.

I'd never wear boots, much less leather ones, were it not for snake protection. I'd still be wearing lightweight trail runners on my feet that keep my legs fresh and feet nimble.

tdot

WKR
Not all companies weight the same size boot. You need to be aware of that when comparing boots, it can make a difference.

Weight on your feet absolutely will contribute to hip flexor fatigue. I try to wear the lightest shoes that are appropriate for the expected conditions. Socks, gaiters and pants (both weight and stiffness of the pant) all contribute to the weight you are moving with each stride. I've personally settled on a Scarpa Ribelle HD as my stiff, lighter boot, but there are lighter options.

Jlsch45

FNG
Bought some Crispi Nevada’s in size 12 which i wear in All my other boots. I ended up with blisters after 3-4 miles every time. Boot just doesn’t fit my foot ? Or wrong size ?

ChrisAU

WKR
I bought a pair of Schnee Timberlines a month ago after twice running into a Timber Rattler within a three-week period. The decades before that, I've worn either running shoes or trail runners as they're called today. INOV-8s.

There is no question that wearing heavier shoes/boots causes fatigue. For every mile walked, I'm lifting over 2,400 pounds more weight with the Timberlines compared to my INOV-8 315. Walk 8 miles and you're lifting almost 20,000lbs more.

I'd never wear boots, much less leather ones, were it not for snake protection. I'd still be wearing lightweight trail runners on my feet that keep my legs fresh and feet nimble.

You are trusting Timberlines for snake protection? Leather helps sure, but they are not snake proof. I wouldn't kick the next one I see, is all I'm saying.

Rokwiia

WKR
I am confident the Timberlines are more than enough to protect me from a Timber Rattler. I am wearing Turtleskin gaiters so the only exposed area is the lower boot which is all leather.

I have no direct knowledge in this area but did contact a half dozen herpetologists and none were concerned with my description of using leather boots under the Turtleskins with respect to Timber Rattlers.

What is your concern?

Michael54

WKR
I have two pairs of boots i primarily use. Hoffman hunters and meindle ultralight hunters. The ultralight hunters are like wearing slippers. I think they weigh in at like 1.5lbs for the pair. Great for when i know im going to be on my feet all day with more stable footing. A good bit of flex in the sole and at most i end up with sore/tired arches. The hoffmans are twice the weight, stiffer, but bomb proof. My legs and hips will tire before my feet get sore or tired. Each pair has their specific use but i find im wearing the hoffmans more and the meindles less.

WesCAtoll

Lil-Rokslider
I am confident the Timberlines are more than enough to protect me from a Timber Rattler. I am wearing Turtleskin gaiters so the only exposed area is the lower boot which is all leather.

I have no direct knowledge in this area but did contact a half dozen herpetologists and none were concerned with my description of using leather boots under the Turtleskins with respect to Timber Rattlers.

What is your concern?
I run sheepfeet in my timberline, whole different experience and one I recommend over switching to the lighter thin boots..then again after the sheepfeet I dread putting on shoes they aren't in.

ChrisAU

WKR

What is your concern?

I was under the impression all you were wearing was the Timberlines. Yes with those type gaiters go for it, I wear similar when training here in AL where there is a Diamondback under every stick. For every 5 hikes we do in the summer at our whitetail property we kill 3-4 diamondbacks. Allows us to simulate real loads with weight in the pack and a 12 gauge in the gun bearer ha!

Rokwiia

WKR
Wowser! Chris, now I understand completely why you'd be armed to the teeth with snake gear. My sister lives in Georgia which means, like you, there is also the Eastern Diamondback and Cottonmouth to worry about. I only have to be concerned about Timber rattlers. From what the herpetologists told me, the TRs are far more shy and less of a concern because of that.

Not sure what you wear but I also bought the Turtleskin Total Protection chaps. I wear them now when I go off trail which is fairly often. I love them and they allow me the opportunity to return to a relaxed type of hiking where I no longer worry about where I'm stepping. I can just enjoy being outside.

Thanks for you help and best of luck with the Eastern Diamondbacks. You've got far more nerve than I. Kudos.