Boot width fit question?

ncavi8tor

WKR
I am relatively new to the high end boot scene and recently purchased a pair of Crispi Nevada GTX uninsulated boots for an upcoming Montana hunt. My question is about width. I have read that a good hiking boot should feel firm but not tight. Can someone give me a little better explanation about proper fit? Is it like a firm handshake??

My normal shoes are a size 11 in normal (D) width. I bought size 11 in the Crispis and had to return them for 11.5s which were perfect in the length. My Brannock measurements are size 11 and normal width. I have got about 10 miles on them so far and my right foot feels perfect, but I am having a little bit of discomfort in the left. It feels like they are squeezing the top and side of my left foot a little too tightly. I have never needed a wide shoe or boot in my entire life. I plan on putting a few more miles on them before I hit the classifieds. I'm hoping they will conform to my foot and the discomfort will go away.

I have tried different lacing techniques some of which seem to help. Also, I installed Superfeet Trailblazer insoles and they really lock my heel. There is no heel slippage on either boot.

I am also considering taking them to a cobbler to see if the left one can be stretched a tiny bit.

Any suggestions or assistance? Much appreciated!

NC

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Tshug

FNG
I had the same issues when I got my first Lowa boots. I found out to get 1 full size up for steep terrain hunting. Reason being when u go down your toe can get crammed in the end and it can ruin your hunt. As far as width, I have a narrow foot but to keep from getting hot spots I lace the loose. There are different ways to lace your boots depending on your issues. YOU TUBE has tons of videos. When breaking them in use a ton of oil

tdot

WKR
A firm handshake is too tight, imo. The boot should be compressing the sock, not your foot.

Your feet will swell, often 1 size, so you do not want them to start out tight.

Wear the boots for 20 minutes, pull them off and pull off your socks. Take a look at your feet, you shouldnt have any red spots. If you do, they are all potential problem areas.

For breaking in, a good method is to soak the outside of the boot in water. Get them very wet. Then lace them tight with 2 pairs of thick socks. Hike til they are dry. Repeat if necessary.

Watch how you lace them. Just pulling everything as tight as possible is not always the answer. I have to lace my feet with 3 separate zones of tightness to keep pressure off a sensitive area, yet still maintain tightness around my ankle.

OP
ncavi8tor

ncavi8tor

WKR
A firm handshake is too tight, imo. The boot should be compressing the sock, not your foot.

Your feet will swell, often 1 size, so you do not want them to start out tight.

Wear the boots for 20 minutes, pull them off and pull off your socks. Take a look at your feet, you shouldnt have any red spots. If you do, they are all potential problem areas.

For breaking in, a good method is to soak the outside of the boot in water. Get them very wet. Then lace them tight with 2 pairs of thick socks. Hike til they are dry. Repeat if necessary.

Watch how you lace them. Just pulling everything as tight as possible is not always the answer. I have to lace my feet with 3 separate zones of tightness to keep pressure off a sensitive area, yet still maintain tightness around my ankle.
Thank you!! That is great info. I laced the left one a little less tight across the top of my foot today and did a 3.5 mile hike with 20lbs on my back. They felt much better! I think I was cranking down too hard on the laces over my feet. I'm gonna put a few more miles on them over the next couple of weeks and reevaluate.

NC

OP
ncavi8tor

ncavi8tor

WKR
I had the same issues when I got my first Lowa boots. I found out to get 1 full size up for steep terrain hunting. Reason being when u go down your toe can get crammed in the end and it can ruin your hunt. As far as width, I have a narrow foot but to keep from getting hot spots I lace the loose. There are different ways to lace your boots depending on your issues. YOU TUBE has tons of videos. When breaking them in use a ton of oil
I agree about the sizing up. The problem is almost everywhere I looked the reviews were saying that they fit "true to size." I am not finding that to be the case for my feet.

NC

OP
ncavi8tor

ncavi8tor

WKR
Yes, what kind of oil? I have liberally coated them in Crispi Cream.

NC

tdot

WKR
I agree about the sizing up. The problem is almost everywhere I looked the reviews were saying that they fit "true to size." I am not finding that to be the case for my feet.

NC

Everyone's feet are super different. Heck, even your own two feet are different. Fitting mountain boots is very different then running shoes. As a result boot reviews are super dependent on their own feet, not a knock on them, just the reality.

Personally, when I help family and friends fit either ski boots, mountaineering boots, etc... I suggest to them to look at the fit in 4 sections. Toe box, mid foot, heel and then ankle.

Toe box should be loose to just touching width wise and extra length (0.5" - 1"+).

Mid foot should be snug width wise and no pressure points across the top of the foot.

Heel tight width wise w/zero extra room and good heel hold down into the heel pocket (think a 45 degree angle from the heel up through the top of the foot) A good test is to step 12" forward with one foot and keeping your back foot flat on the ground, bend your knees. If your heel gets pulled up off the footbed before the heel of the boot lifts, you will have problems. Lacing techniques can help improve heel hold.

Ankle, snug with no pressure point on your tendons. Nothing too tight. Does it allow an appropriate amount of mobility given the boots intended purpose.

OP
ncavi8tor

ncavi8tor

WKR
Everyone's feet are super different. Heck, even your own two feet are different. Fitting mountain boots is very different then running shoes. As a result boot reviews are super dependent on their own feet, not a knock on them, just the reality.

Personally, when I help family and friends fit either ski boots, mountaineering boots, etc... I suggest to them to look at the fit in 4 sections. Toe box, mid foot, heel and then ankle.

Toe box should be loose to just touching width wise and extra length (0.5" - 1"+).

Mid foot should be snug width wise and no pressure points across the top of the foot.

Heel tight width wise w/zero extra room and good heel hold down into the heel pocket (think a 45 degree angle from the heel up through the top of the foot) A good test is to step 12" forward with one foot and keeping your back foot flat on the ground, bend your knees. If your heel gets pulled up off the footbed before the heel of the boot lifts, you will have problems. Lacing techniques can help improve heel hold.

Ankle, snug with no pressure point on your tendons. Nothing too tight. Does it allow an appropriate amount of mobility given the boots intended purpose.
Great info! Thank you for your time! I have not had anyone explain it to me that way but what you wrote makes absolute sense to me. These boots fit my feet just like you described. It seems that my problem was me lacing the top laces too tight over my left foot. It is just a tiny bit larger than my right.

NC

Tauntohawk

Lil-Rokslider
Don't over look doing a two zone lacing, I have a wide forefoot and narrow heel and keep the bottom half of my laces pretty lose and just snug up a little at the ankle

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

OP
ncavi8tor

ncavi8tor

WKR
Don't over look doing a two zone lacing, I have a wide forefoot and narrow heel and keep the bottom half of my laces pretty lose and just snug up a little at the ankle

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Yep, I have figured that out. I was over tightening the laces at the bottom. Thanks.

NC

bradr3367

Lil-Rokslider
I am relatively new to the high end boot scene and recently purchased a pair of Crispi Nevada GTX uninsulated boots for an upcoming Montana hunt. My question is about width. I have read that a good hiking boot should feel firm but not tight. Can someone give me a little better explanation about proper fit? Is it like a firm handshake??

My normal shoes are a size 11 in normal (D) width. I bought size 11 in the Crispis and had to return them for 11.5s which were perfect in the length. My Brannock measurements are size 11 and normal width. I have got about 10 miles on them so far and my right foot feels perfect, but I am having a little bit of discomfort in the left. It feels like they are squeezing the top and side of my left foot a little too tightly. I have never needed a wide shoe or boot in my entire life. I plan on putting a few more miles on them before I hit the classifieds. I'm hoping they will conform to my foot and the discomfort will go away.

I have tried different lacing techniques some of which seem to help. Also, I installed Superfeet Trailblazer insoles and they really lock my heel. There is no heel slippage on either boot.

I am also considering taking them to a cobbler to see if the left one can be stretched a tiny bit.

Any suggestions or assistance? Much appreciated!

NC

I have the Nevada in 11.5 wide which is my true size. When I first got them I thought they were gonna be too wide but after awhile they molded to my feet and they fit amazing now. I use the green superfeet insoles. There’s zero movement in my left foot, but a slight heel slip in the right. I’m pretty sure my rt heel is a little narrower than the left. I also skip one lace across the top of the foot cuz I was getting too much pressure. Good to go now. Personally as long as your heel is able to stay locked & your toes don’t bottom out while your going downhill, I’d probably stay with the size you’ve got

OP
ncavi8tor

ncavi8tor

WKR
I have the Nevada in 11.5 wide which is my true size. When I first got them I thought they were gonna be too wide but after awhile they molded to my feet and they fit amazing now. I use the green superfeet insoles. There’s zero movement in my left foot, but a slight heel slip in the right. I’m pretty sure my rt heel is a little narrower than the left. I also skip one lace across the top of the foot cuz I was getting too much pressure. Good to go now. Personally as long as your heel is able to stay locked & your toes don’t bottom out while your going downhill, I’d probably stay with the size you’ve got
Excellent! I agree! After a few more miles on them last week and lacing the left a little looser they are feeling great.

NC

gostovp

WKR

I know this thread is super old but this is one of the best fitting tip posts on RS.