Boot woes

flatlanderhuffandpuff

Well Known Rokslider
In general I am really good at adjusting to the gear that I have selected. If a pack doesn't fit right or pants are to noisy I'm able to adapt the way I hunt to make it work. Boots are the one only place where I can justify just getting by.

I am in the middle of planning my first western elk hunt and my boots and foot health is my biggest concern. I had tried on about 20 different boots over 4 different trips to Cabela's and a few local sporting stores. I eventually decided to take the recommendations from some others and decided to order in a pair of uninsulated Meindle's. They seemed to have a great reputation and good quality for the money. As soon as I tried them on I knew they weren't going to fit my feet well and decided on an in store return to exchange for something else.

About 30 minutes before the store closed I tried on the dreaded Danner Pronghorns and they felt wonderful! It wasn't until I got home that it seemed like every forum and blog has someone talking about the terrible product called the Danner Pronghorn. At that point I had taken them on a few hikes and got them beyond returnable. They have broken in a bit and I am sure they are ok boots, but they just don't seem like will ever be well suited for 7 6-15 mile days in a row in the mountains. I know I should have done more research before I made a purchase, but I just wanted to get something broken in early. Bad Idea.

Now I am at a point where I need to make a decision to cut my loses and try and sell these boots to someone else and get another pair of something else or buckle down and callous up. I have a pair of irish setter shed hunters that I use for day hiking and I love everything about them, but they certainly aren't build heavy enough for a heavy load.

What would you do in my situation?

Mr Drysdale

Well Known Rokslider
Guess I am lucky that the Meindles fit me perfectly. Recommended them to a friend and he did not like the fit at all. He ended up with the Lowa Renagade GTX's and loved them on his high country Elk hunt.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ejrodriguez21