Boots boots, what boots

rj2

WKR
I'm sure this has been beaten to death, but hey, new year new gear! I've always worn tall rubber boots and probably will continue to wear the arctic pro's for late season, but what is everyone wearing for early/mid season?

I wan't to get away from the rubber boots when I am doing long hikes in on public land. Maybe like an 800g or 1200g pronghorn type boot or something?

Also, I am in WI, so "mid" season to us could be some pretty cold sits.

I’ve gone to the pac boots almost exclusively, unless I know I have deep’ish stream crossings, then it’s all rubber. My go to pacs are Schnee Hunter II. Most comfortable boots I’ve ever owned and I’m now 3 years in, with lots of miles on them, and I’m still thrilled.

Oh, and I’ve owned the Pronghorns. You couldn’t give me another pair. They soaked up water like a sponge no matter what treatment I used.

cobbc03

Lil-Rokslider
I have a pair of Danner High Ground 1200gm, they are really good boots, but only after i treated them with water proofing. They were not even remotely water resistant until I treated them.

Pawvbow

FNG
Just bout a pair of Kenetrek mtn extremes and all I can say is wow! I’ve been doing 3 mile walks in the twice a week for a month now and by far the most supportive comfortable boot I’ve ever owned.

OP
rj2

rj2

WKR
I think i probably only want something about 8" high.

Anyone know of anything with primaloft insulation and gore-tex?

spc7669

Lil-Rokslider
I wear Salomon Quest 4Ds with some Kryptek gaiters. If it’s cold I carry Arctic Shield boot blankets. Has worked for a couple of years now.

OP
rj2

rj2

WKR
I was thinking how I wished some of my hiking boots had insulated versions, but I have some boot blankets too, so that may be the way to go. I only thought of ever using them when it's like single digits but when I'm huffing my tree stand in long distances that would be nice to wear some good boots

John pettimore

Lil-Rokslider
I go with the lightest I can find with goretex and 600ish grams of insulation. Carry a pair of artic shield booties when it’s cold.

Schnees Beartooth 200g insulation. Not a ton of insulation, but should be enough to carry you until late season. I've found that much more insulation is just too much before it gets cold. Sweaty feet are the worst thing for keeping your feet warm. So while 800g or more is great if you're stationary, hiking in becomes an issue. If you have a short walk, no big deal. I also have the artic shield boot covers with hand warmers inside that help to take the edge off if necessary. I'm in Michigan, so similar climate as WI.

Sent from my SM-G981V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Cabela's had a Meindl Perfekt boot they sold with 400 gram insulation and Gore-tex, but maybe no longer sold by Cabela's. Can buy elsewhere and they may have heavier insulation options. Big fan for western hunts where I'd move a lot, but where I live and hunt in Wisconsin I don't put many miles on them. If you're walking in quite a ways, they might be just right.

Other thing to consider is going with a 400 gram boot and then carry in a pair of boot covers to slip on at your destination. I have the Arctic Shield ones I think XL so there's plenty of room and I toss in a hand warmer in each on a cold sit.

Asolo flame. Best boots I've ever owned. If expecting rain or just after, add kuiu gaiters.
The Asolo Neutron was nice as well just needed a bigger size that Sierra.com didn't have.

Reactions: rj2
OP
rj2

rj2

WKR
Asolo flame. Best boots I've ever owned. If expecting rain or just after, add kuiu gaiters.
The Asolo Neutron was nice as well just needed a bigger size that Sierra.com didn't have.

I have a pair of flames and another pair a half size big that I wanted to try for heavy downhills. I am thinking about maybe using those with thick or doubled socks, and bring boot warmers for oct/nov sits.

I have been using the Irish setter Elk Trackers style 860 here in WI with good results. They are 1000 grams of Primaloft and gortex.

Fish_monger

Lil-Rokslider
I have been using the Irish setter Elk Trackers style 860 here in WI with good results. They are 1000 grams of Primaloft and gortex.

I used the amazon prime wardrobe program to try on some Irish setter elk trackers and danner Powderhorns for free.

Decided on the powderhorns, then ordered them from Moosejaw for 20% off.

I have also changed over from the tall rubber boots to a leather insulated boot more along the lines of what they wear for big mountain hunts. If I have a good sock and wear my gaiter's on top I rarely get cold feet on stand, and honestly think they may keep my feet warmer than the rubber boots. I've been wearing crispi leather boots, great for hiking and very stable with much more ankle support than the rubber.

TN731

FNG
I have 3 pairs of danner high ground boots. To say I love them is an understatement. I have uninsulated, 400g, and 800g. I like a lightweight boot with good support. They feel like a pair of tennis shoes, but with better support. I read where one guy had issues with waterproofing. I have yet to have that problem. I have crossed many creeks and streams with water over the foot and have yet to have an issue. I don”t feel like they are the warmest boot out there, but I keep rubber boots for those days.

I need a more nimble boot with less insulation for the length of my hikes. I just picked up the Crispi Wild Rock GTX with 400 Grams of insulation. I plan on using a liner sock, VBL sock and a thick wool sock combined. When I want to still hunt, I'll throw on a overboot for warmth.

corycody

FNG
Different climate and environment than you but if you've been wearing rubber boots I'd probably go with a tall pair of Schnee's hunters. Pack boots are heavy and cumbersome for big mountain hunting but I wear them for pheasant hunting around here and love them for that. Kenetrek MTN Extreme for late season mountain hunting.