Boots [emoji3067]

Whes

FNG
I will be trying out the hoffman summits this season. Hoping for good results there wasnt much for reviews being there a new line for hoffman

AGPank

WKR
I would note that budget for some good insoles to help fit and comfort. Also gaiters a great, no matter how waterproof the boot is wet pant legs soak your feet quick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Maldavis

FNG
No, $400 isn’t necessary. The amount of money you spend on a boot has nothing to do with if they will work best for you. Can you imagine how anybody walked anywhere in the mountains 100’s of years ago? To be fair though, I bet those pioneers, soldiers or mountain men would have paid their day’s equivalent to $400 for sweet boots. They did spend more that one week on their feet though.

If you break in your feet and your mid-priced boots of choice you should be fine for all but the most rugged endeavors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Interesting point about breaking in your feet.
I’m thinking that when you get new boots the break in isn’t just the boots to your feet but also to toughen your feet to the boots.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

If you think you’ll stick with elk hunting it doesn’t matter if you only wear them once a year. For that week they are priceless. Pony up man... boots are where the rubber meets the road. I wear Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 1000s. I love them. They take awhile to break in. This year will be 8th season wearing them and I’ll probably get another 8. You get what you pay for. You won’t get 10-15 years out of a $180 boot.

OP
Fourteen

Fourteen

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the input fellas! I got a deal on some Crispi Nevada boots. Can’t wait to try them out!

rkcdvm

Lil-Rokslider
Camofire.com . Great discounts when the boots are on there . Got my crispi’s with a $150-ish discount .
Steepandcheap.com is also a good place . More reliable at least

Cfranski

FNG
Picked up a pair of armond marmoladas. (Same boot as Hoffman summit minus the full rand) have been liking then so far

I am very happy with the Solomon 4D 3 GTX for lightweight boot. Very comfortable for mid cold hiking/hunting.

+1 for the Solomons got a pair this year trained in them all summer and covered 70+ miles in rugged SW CO. So far no complaints seem to be holding up well and didn’t get my feet wet hunting 4 days in 5-12in of snow. (Tops got wet but that was because I didn’t have gaiters)

nobody

WKR
There are some things you can cheap out on with gear, but there are 4 items that, no matter what, buy the absolute BEST you can afford:

1. Boots
2. Binos
3. Scope
4. Backpack

I am young, but I've hunted alot and seen lots of guys (including myself) spend more in the long run because they cheap out on the above items and end up buying 3 cheap versions BEFORE buying the good ones. And I've seen more guys have hunts ruined by having garbage boots. But expensive doesn't mean good, you still need to try them on.

I am a believer in Crispi. I have Plantar Fasciitis (flat feet), and they've saved my feet. I would recommend the Colorados or the Guides, insulated. But best advice I can give is go somewhere like Scheel's and try on ALL the big names and walk around for 15 minutes in each pair on carpet before buying. Spend a whole afternoon trying boots, take some good socks and a patient wife/girlfriend/significant other, and buy the right pair ONCE. The nice thing about expensive boots is if you only wear them for 8 or 10 days a year, you'll only buy new ones every 8 or 10 years! Spread that $400 over 8 years, and those are some CHEAP boots in the long run!

Being new to this page I’m sure there are hundreds of “boot” threads. No I haven’t looked. Looking for a boot for Colorado late October. I have no problem spending the money on quality products but is it really worth spending $400 for boots that I will only wear once a year!?!? I’ll keep from mentioning all the top dollar brands cause I’m sure y’all know them. Yes I’ve researched them all. Dropping down a couple “$bills$”, I’ve also looked at Danner, Irish Setter, and Lacrosse. Are these worth taking a second look at? If so which are recommended? Or should I pony up? And I guess you can’t predict the future so I was thinking of purchasing insulated and non. Thanks for all the help gentlemen!

I would take 2 sets if it were me. if not too cold like my ch1. when gets nasty weather I like the lowa.

I recently bought a pair of USA Danner Elk Hunters. Very nice, simple boot. They are a little "non technical" from an aesthetic standpoint - I guess that's what I like about them. I will elk hunt a week in a year and deer hunt in Kansas and Oklahoma for a month...they will work for both! They run $300 - which is a little less than kenney's or crispis but...I took a chance and will see how they fare.

Phaseolus

WKR
Danner, Irish Setter, and Lacrosse are flatlander boots. You won’t see many Mtn folk recommending them. What you wear will depend on how a boot fits your feet, and that is not something you can do well without trying some pairs on. I like Lowa for my feet, because they make some models in narrows.

Fred

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the Kenetrek Extreme...That was because I tried them on in the store. Wow what a solid boot. They are an investment and I'll use them for years. I've bought a lot of things in my day and finally learning to buy quality once vs cheaper twice.

Huntnnw

WKR
I am very happy with the Solomon 4D 3 GTX for lightweight boot. Very comfortable for mid cold hiking/hunting.

buddy wore these on a 19 day elk trip in the Blue mountains, completely trashed and not wearable by the end. I ran solomon speedcross with gators and threw them in the trash after the hunt. Tread was gone and soles crushed.