Boots [emoji3067]

buddy wore these on a 19 day elk trip in the Blue mountains, completely trashed and not wearable by the end. I ran solomon speedcross with gators and threw them in the trash after the hunt. Tread was gone and soles crushed.

I must be lighter on my feet than him...ha ha....good feedback. I haven't run them through any real rough terrain yet, just some serious miles on fire road/trails hunting. Good to know.

Danner, Irish Setter, and Lacrosse are flatlander boots. You won’t see many Mtn folk recommending them. What you wear will depend on how a boot fits your feet, and that is not something you can do well without trying some pairs on. I like Lowa for my feet, because they make some models in narrows.

Interesting...I have a pair of Irish setter Elk hunters that have done well through 10 seasons and killed 10 Elk none of them on the flat land. I agree they are not a sheep hunting boot but do just fine hiking 10 miles a day in Elk country. Very comfortable on my feet.

Not trying to start a battle. Most important think in this thread is everyone's feet are different and like different boots. But you do get what you pay for.

Last edited:

njdoxie

WKR
Being new to this page I’m sure there are hundreds of “boot” threads. No I haven’t looked.
Good lord your lazy, your questions has been answered umpteen times in the footwear forum which is where this question belongs. Unfortunately people are spoon feeding you.

Good boots are essential. But, good boots don't need to cost $400. I hunt archery and warm weather in the same Salomon hiking boots I use for general hiking. In cold weather I have some water-proof and insulated Danner boots. Both pairs were about $120 each.

Search Sierra Trading Post. They have great deals on great boots. They're not "hunting" boots but most everyone I know who hunts the tough Rockies with me has something off of there. Asolo has a sweet all leather pair on there right now that should be ok in cold weather (with good socks). That would be my vote, unless $400 for boots is like me losing the three $1 bills in my wallet :).

Good lord your lazy, your questions has been answered umpteen times in the footwear forum which is where this question belongs. Unfortunately people are spoon feeding you.

I retract my last comment and agree with this one. I just always jump all over "gear" posts since I only check out the elk forum and I rebel against the $2000 hunting "outfit". Cheap gear kills elk too...I've had good success in $120 boots, hiking pants, a $20 cabellas hoodie...spend money where you need to and don't waste it on the fashion show (though a handful of the fashion show pieces are awesome and will make you so comfortable compared to me in budget gear).

jmez

WKR
Pretty much every question asked on the entire forum has been answered more than once. I think it's time to lock all the threads and everyone can just use the search function.

Boots come down to one thing, fit for your foot. They are not built on the same last, they all fit differently. Some will work for you, some won't. Unfortunately, you can't figure that out in a store or on a website. You have to use them in actual hunting conditions.

You couldn't give me a pair of Asolo boots, yet they make great footwear. I can wear them around home no problem. By the end of day 1 in the mountains I've already got blisters and sore feet.

Boots are one of those things you will just need to figure out. Once you find the right fit you'll learn that break in only applies to a poor fitting boot.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

yes good boots with thinsulate are worth every penny. your feet will thank you. if your feet are killing you, you won't be thinking about heading over the next ridge. you'll be thinking about getting back to camp and getting those cheap ass boots off your painful feet......

My last thought on boots...the season is the worst time to buy new boots. I wouldn't go on a hunt with boots I haven't put at least 20 miles on during the spring and summer. It's not so much break in as the fact that almost every boot is gonna have hot spots that rub the wrong way and you want to know where those are so you can protect them.

I have terrible feet (restless leg in my feet (?), bunions on the outside that hurt to touch sometimes, arch issues). Knowing how to protect your feet is essential, because most boots are going to cause some discomfort for some people and you need to figure out how to correct that. I don't know, maybe this isn't true for people who's feet are better than mine.

njdoxie

WKR
Pretty much every question asked on the entire forum has been answered more than once. I think it's time to lock all the threads and everyone can just use the search function.

Haha, fair enough....just wish folks would put in a little effort, then ask questions after that....newbies especially could learn so much by going over a lot of the elk threads. Since I like reading about elk, I’ve gone all the way back and read every thread that sounded interesting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Fourteen

Fourteen

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the input fellas! I got a deal on some Crispi Nevada boots. Can’t wait to try them out!

I’ll quote myself just bring attention to all the jack%%%es and their negative comments about my questions a month after I made the above comment thanking those who were helpful. I guess those who decided to be negative, still, are what people call “trolls” especially commenting soooooo late. Or maybe you were just the “name takers” in the classroom when the teacher walked out. Thanks for the late words!