Boots for 11 year old for Western hunting (Idaho)

Just wanted to see if anyone had suggestions for boots for an 11 year old for western hunting for elk this fall. He’s nowhere near done growing so an expensive paif of boots would not be my first choice, and since he’s young he’s pretty tolerant of footwear choices as long as they aren’t Walmart brand stuff (and even that for sneakers he’s okay but I generally keep him in name brand stuff like New Balance, Adidas, Underarmor etc). I see a boots in his size for hunting mostly around the $60-70 mark, not bad but seems like all of them have either 400 or 800 gm insulation…would this be too warm for him for early September hunting?

nphunter

WKR
Cheap waterproof boots, they wont be too warm, make sure to buy good merino socks as well. I bought some leather boots for my two boys from the local boot store and they lasted a couple years but since then have been buying cheap boots from walmart or bimart. Kids aren't typically as hard on joints as us, my boys have never complained about sore feet or hot feet, the only time I've had issues was when youngest was shed hunting one day and walked around with his boots untied for too long and got a heal blister.

The boys shed hunt, scout, check trial cams, hike and hunt with me all year long and probably put on 100+ miles each year in the woods. I personally wouldn't put too much thought into it other then making sure you take them with you to buy them and make sure they fit.

Our last trip to ID my boys were both wearing cheap walmart boots and they did great, we hiked more than most people do.

Here is a pic, the boys were 10 & 13 at the time.6AB51C8B-1FAE-4FAD-B2BB-7F3752D0A7CB.jpeg

Last edited:

EdP

WKR
I used a pair of Wolverines for a few years and they worked out well for me. Fabric and leather upper, insulated, Goretex lined. No break in time, not expensive, waterproof, light compared to leather and made in China of course. They don't provide the best support for heavy loads over long distances in rough country, but you're not going to be loading the kids up that heavy anyway.

Laramie

WKR
What size does he wear? I have 2 boys that are both older than that now - may have something that would work for him I would give you. I have mainly used Rocky for my sons but have a couple pairs of other brands.

rideold

WKR
I found some 400 gr rocky boots for my son. He's never complained his feet were too warm...... I got them on closeout from the rocky website for half price or less. Sometimes you're lucky. I bought them a bit big and he's still wearing them.

ropeup79

Lil-Rokslider
Womens sizing is 1.5 or 2 sizes (depends on brand) bigger than youth. A 5 youth should be about a womens 6.5 to 7. Check Sierra Trading Post. I have also found good deals on high quality boots on Ebay like some Zamberlan's for about $50 shipped.

OP
S
Thanks everyone for the great responses, very helpful in my quest to outfit my son for the hunt out west.