Boots for a 12 year old

270quest

WKR
I need some thoughts on quality hunting boots without breaking the bank for a 12 year old. He currently wears mens size 7.5 shoes so I can buy him mens boots, the problem is he is growing and don't want to buy him $3-400 boots that wont fit next fall.

However he does hike quite a few miles in the backcountry with me in October and I would like something of quality support that will keep his feet warm and dry.

What are your thoughts on this? I was thinking may some $150-175 Danner Pronghorns or comparable?

Thoughts

Laramie

WKR
I have my 11 year old in a pair of 400 gram Rockies we picked up for about $100. He loves them and hasn't had any issues but he doesn't put in a ton of miles. My son is in the same size.

It honestly would be great to have a forum member exchange for boots since these kids grow so fast. I would donate as my son outgrows his.

Carr5vols

WKR
I have my 11 year old in a pair of 400 gram Rockies we picked up for about $100. He loves them and hasn't had any issues but he doesn't put in a ton of miles. My son is in the same size.

It honestly would be great to have a forum member exchange for boots since these kids grow so fast. I would donate as my son outgrows his.

Agree on the exchange, I would be up for that with my kids boots.

I would go cheaper. My son is 12. A bit bigger. I paid up for some decent hikers a couple of years ago and he outgrew them in 6 months. Gave them away to a cousin. Unless he is really going to use the hell out of them I would be looking for something fairly cheap.

Seth

WKR
Some discount places such as Sierra and Backcountry can have some good deals in the small sizes. Do some searching and you can find quality boots in the price range of the Pronghorns. Keep in mind the kids weight and how much he is realistically going to pack. Lighter boots are likely fine.

Big Ern

WKR
Get him Pronghorns. Good boot for the money. He will wear them one season without abusing them. Then, sell them on here and get some of your money back.

fatlander

WKR
7.5 is super small, which is good for you. I’m sure you can find boots that are 250+ for sizes 9-11, but will be on sale for well into and maybe under your budget at that size. I wouldn’t get something that is going to take a while to break in. He’ll likely outgrow them before that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fatlander

WKR

Couple minutes of googling “men’s 7.5 (insert nice brand name) boot”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lowg08

WKR
I have a son and he tries to make every step I do. He is almost 11. I bought him a pair of vasque on sale at REI. He loves them and has several miles on them. I’ll just pass them on down to my girl.