Boots for a guy with achilles tendonitis

7mmfan

FNG
Last season I really struggled with heal pain during deer/elk season. It started after I changed boots before the season and did a marathon scouting trip one weekend. The next time I went out I could barely hike up hill the pain was so bad. I finally went to the Dr. and she told me it was Achilles tendonitis, and the new stiff soled (Meindl Denali's) are probably what caused it for me. No issues with the left foot, just the right. I've now read a few times on hiker forums of the same thing happening when someone made the switch to a stiff soled boot and did a mega hike. I also think the way the cup on the back of the boot is designed, it didn't fit me well and rubbed a lot.

I have been doing mega leg and ankle exercises to strengthen those tendons and muscles, and stretching all the time, and the problem has gotten much better, but needless to say, I can't wear these boots anymore. Does anyone have a good recommendation for a softer soled boot that will allow my feet to bend normally in steep ground, but still offer some ankle support. I prefer higher ankle boots, 8" usually.

fngTony

Super Moderator
Staff member
Have you tried insoles? They may also raise your foot so it fits the boot better.

I like staying with a quality hiking boot like Merrell. I use an insole all the time since I'm on my feet all day, it helps prolong the life of the sole.
Check into the "rough neck" line at cabelas. They have about 5 variations from insulated, non ins, with/wo steel toe. I have a pair and although not broke in yet they seem to be a mix of a rugged work boot and hiker. I'd say a moderately stiff sole.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk