Boots for cold feet

I have never really put a lot of thought into boots and currently use Danner Pronghorns for everything. I find my feet get cold easily and with thick socks my boots are almost too small. I wear a size 14 and am considering new boots size 14.5-15 for colder weather. Any suggestions or ideas for a good all around boots for colder weather but also a good range of use amongst different seasons? I’m wondering if my boots were bigger my feet would stay warmer as the thick socks are so compressed it could be a sizing issue. With normal socks they feel great but I would like thick socks during the colder hunts. Open to any boot ideas or suggestions as my long toes tend to freeze and living in Florida I’m a little used to the heat 😎. Thanks so much!

I'll let others hit the boot recommendations, but will say for myself my feet were always cold due to being wet from sweating. I need a really well breathing uninsulated boot to keep my feet from sweating which in turn keeps them warmer.

Ho5tile1

Lil-Rokslider
I live in northwest Florida and use snake boots year round in the woods. Ive seen snakes crawling in the ice here so I use the dryshods rubber snake boots and when it’s cold I put on the fox river polypropylene sock liners and my kuiu wool socks over that and my feet stay pretty warm well not warm but not cold. I used them in Illinois this year in the teens and was fine for a 6 hour sit in my saddle. I used them cause I wasn’t gonna spend 300 bucks for boots I will use for a week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Kyle Wheeler
I'll let others hit the boot recommendations, but will say for myself my feet were always cold due to being wet from sweating. I need a really well breathing uninsulated boot to keep my feet from sweating which in turn keeps them warmer.
Thank you! What socks do you prefer?

OP
Kyle Wheeler
I live in northwest Florida and use snake boots year round in the woods. Ive seen snakes crawling in the ice here so I use the dryshods rubber snake boots and when it’s cold I put on the fox river polypropylene sock liners and my kuiu wool socks over that and my feet stay pretty warm well not warm but not cold. I used them in Illinois this year in the teens and was fine for a 6 hour sit in my saddle. I used them cause I wasn’t gonna spend 300 bucks for boots I will use for a week.

That sounds pretty wild seeing snakes on ice. I see quite a few down here but we don’t get as cold. I mainly freeze where I hunt I’m West Texas and out West. Thanks for the tips I’ll check out those liners and socks. Snake boots are definitely not a bad idea..

This.

I had problems with my feet getting cold and once I learned to go with uninsulated boots and lighter socks my whole world changed. I don’t switch to midweight socks unless it’s going to be single digits.

Last edited:

ztc92

Lil-Rokslider
Grew up deer hunting and ice fishing in MN, cold feet are just part of life there. Totally agree with the tip above about sweating. Also important that your boot not be too tight as this impedes blood flow, limits circulation and leads to colder feet.

High quality socks are just as important as good boots, as are good insoles that provide insulation, similar to a good sleeping pad, especially when you’re not moving. I have some Schnees that I really like but I think it’s more about finding a boot that fits well when laced loosely and breathes. Consider upgrading your socks and insoles before you give up on the boots you already have.

STL

FNG
Good socks, which I sometimes change out if I sweat in them, uninsulated boots with the laces loosened, and arctic shield boot covers when I set up is what I use. Figuring out how to manage sweat made the biggest difference in not getting cold feet for me and then the boot covers to keep them warm.

Ho5tile1

Lil-Rokslider
For sure sweaty feet = cold feet I used to do the 3 pairs of socks etc. it never worked when I learned to manage moisture things got much better. When I get home now from hunting my sock liner is dry but my wool socks are pretty damp and my feet are dry I don’t know how one sock is damp and the other is dry but whatever works lol. I also agree you don’t want your boots tight.

Here's my routine to keep my feet dry, hence warmer.

First I spray my feet with an unscented antiperspirant (Sure). Then I put on a pair of thin polypro liners to wick any moisture away from my feet, followed by a pair of Darn Tough merino wool full cushion socks. Lots of choices in good quality Merino socks. Look for wool content around 70% or better.

Also, keep your core warm, but not to the point of sweating, especially the kidney area. When your core gets cold, your body diverts blood from your extremities as a survival measure, thereby contributing to cold feet and hands.

OP
Kyle Wheeler
This.

I had problems with my feet getting cold and once I learned to go with uninsulated boots and lighter socks my whole world changed. I don’t switch to midweight socks unless it’s going to be single digits.
That is super helpful really appreciate it! I think I’ve been overdoing socks

WRM

WKR
Also in NWFL with perennially cold feet. I like Lathrop's insulated mountain hunter and use it here too in the rut/muzzleloader if we get some 20 degree weather and I'm stand hunting.

I have poor circulation in my extremities which can make the hands and feet a real challenge if you are talking below 25 degrees and for days on end out west. Nitric oxide boosters help some. If circulation is what is causing your issue, it may be very difficult to keep em warm when it's really cold.

Interior

FNG
I have this exact same issue. Have you found any specific socks that help with the issue?

OP
Kyle Wheeler
OP
Kyle Wheeler
I wanted to thank everyone for the help here. Took away some great info to dig into and will work on my setup for this year. The knowledge here is amazing thank you again!

jd1006

WKR
I like the lamlite socks by wiggys—you can even double them up. A thin poly sock with those socks over a normal hunting boot. Then pack in boot covers if you are in a stand. That manages the moisture that makes your feet cold and then traps in the warmth the best I’ve found. I’ve been out in 20 below zero with this setup. I have a separate set of boots that are a half size bigger to accommodate those socks.

Mdanks

FNG
Grew up deer hunting and ice fishing in MN, cold feet are just part of life there. Totally agree with the tip above about sweating. Also important that your boot not be too tight as this impedes blood flow, limits circulation and leads to colder feet.

High quality socks are just as important as good boots, as are good insoles that provide insulation, similar to a good sleeping pad, especially when you’re not moving. I have some Schnees that I really like but I think it’s more about finding a boot that fits well when laced loosely and breathes. Consider upgrading your socks and insoles before you give up on the boots you already have.
What insoles what you suggest?