Boots for Colorado elk hunt

Jusgunn3

Lil-Rokslider
Heading out for 3rd rifle and need some insulated boots. I am looking at the danner vitals in either 800g or 1200g. Thoughts on what’s better for the cold weather? First time heading to Colorado, thanks!

Last edited:
800 is probably all you need in Colorado for 3rd season, as the fall is still pretty hot out here. But it’s fickle too, so one day you may be able to go uninsulated and the next you’ll want more. Most important factor is finding a boot that fits your hunting style and one that matches the stiffness you are used to. Can’t go wrong with Salomon GTX though I don’t think they are insulated.

Hunt4lyf

Lil-Rokslider
For me those would be way to hot, I have a pair of Danner Pronghorns 400g and they are about right for me, I also wear a merino sock liner with a thin pair of Pendleton merino socks and if that isn't enough I'll throw another pair of those Pendletons on. 3rd can be 60's one day and then 0 the next but typically where I'm at at least it's teens to 50's to deal with. Also, boots with that much insulation tend to be heavy which is something you will come to hate after walking a lot at elevation.

OP
J

Jusgunn3

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for the info guys, my buddy said that we would need the insulated boots. This is his 3rd year going on this hunt. I do tend to always get hot so the 400g sounds appealing now.

CanEater

FNG
I've previously owned Danner Pronghorn in both 0g and 400g insulation primarily hunting elk in October and Mule deer in November. I also recently purchased a pair of uninsulated Schnees Beartooth II. I don't ever see myself owning another pair of insulated boots unless I plan to hunt from a tree stand. If you plan to do a fair amount of walking, I don't think your feet will be cold and in fact, I think you could have problems with sweaty feet as previously mentioned. I'd recommend getting a good pair of merino wool socks and stick with minimal insulation in the boots.

nobody

WKR
I would think anything over 400 for insulation is complete overkill. I run uninsulated with good socks into late november/early december. If you're willing to pay, Crispi has their Nevada Legend GTX with 200 grams of insulation. Well worth the money you would pay!

I can't, in good conscience, recommend ANY Danner product. I would hunt in my slippers before I buy any pair of Danners. They have become a cheap, made in China, low quality, overpriced product with a good warranty. There's several of these in the hunting industry, so that description may apply to other products and brands as well. I've never seen a pair of Danner's run by myself or anybody I know that lasted longer than +/- 25-50 miles. And by the end of those miles, they're basically in tatters and completely broke down and unusable. Danner used to make great boots, but as of late, you're better off with Walmart or Big 5 store brand.

OP
J

Jusgunn3

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks everyone, sounds like I need to buy once and cry once with a nice pair of boots. Leaning towards the 400g as I have a pair of non insulated I cam going to bring as well!

Phaseolus

WKR
You’ll want to have a way to dry out your boots every night so you start with a dry on the inside boot. My feet swet so I carry a clean pair of socks to change into in the afternoon.

Diamond K

FNG
I just returned from a CO elk hunt. My Danner East Ridge did great. They are uninsulated and kept me dry and warm in 60 degree days and in snow. It wasn't harsh cold but the snow made it feel like it was. I have a pair of older Sierra 200G they are still dry and warm too but just a little heavier so I wore the East Ridge. As for the current quality of Danner boots, I have always wore the boots that were US made. Can't complain about them in any way.

Poser

WKR
I’m not sure if you have sufficient time to break in a pair of boots for 3rd rifle unless you have really tough feet already.

I’m with Justin in that they just get too hot and sweaty in the afternoon and can be difficult to dry out at night due to the insulation. That being said, mornings can be frigid. I use these OR X gaiters which insulate the entire top of the boot with Primaloft Aerogel. I also have some wool insoles from superfeet. I’m also not opposed to swapping those insoles out come midday.

Big Ern

WKR
I wear 200g boots, but also bring along a pair of Schnees pac Boots (non-backpack hunt) in case it gets cold and nasty.