BOOTS FOR HELL!!!!

MIKEINAK

FNG
Looking for a non insulated boot for hot weather....im unfortunately located in southern california for the forseeable future, and im starting to show signs of capsculitis, which is cuased by hyper extending of the toes.....im coping with this by wearing stiffer boots....for years now ive worn nike and oakley boots pretty much everyday which are super flexible and probably the root cuase of my problems......im passionate about covering ground with a pack and trying to stay /get"sheep shape"so far ive tried salomon 4d's and lowa caminos but they are way too hot not stiff enough and have too much flex at the top of the toes which makes them rub and pisses me off to no end...lookin at either kenetrek safaris or desert guides, lil iffy about kenetrek seems people love em or hate em

Michael54

WKR
Only recommendation i would have for you would be too warm. Call lathrop and sons and discuss your issues. They will suggest and sale you the proper boot for you. It might be cheaper long term than chasing the rabbit hole of rockslide suggestions on boots. What works for my feet isnt going to work for yours. If its a medical issue with my feet id call the boot store that has foot drs running it instead of 5 or 6 guys convincing you to try a boot that may not work and have you in the same situation.

JNDEER

WKR
Northern CA archery zone can open in early July. You will not find a stiff boot that is also cool in hot weather. Start with non-waterproof boots first. Synthetic with a little leather will be about the best for stiff and cool. Mendel, Vasque, Solomon make non-gtx boots. I personally have used vasque for probably 6 years- vasque breeze. Great warm weather boot- but with many miles they last me about 1.5 seasons. Just got some Solomon aero on sale at rei. Much narrower and not as tall. Testing them out now to see how they stack with the vasque I have used over the years.

I’ve been wearing the Danner Thorofares in 100° Weather. They are not insulated, but do have the goretex liner. They offer incredible support similar to mountaineering boots. My work is in Desert Bighorn Sheep country, some of the rockiest, steepest and hottest anywhere.

I also run a pair of the Danner Marine Corps desert boots. They are good for walking but don’t have the support for a heavy pack in steep terrain. They are also a little heavier than the Thorofares.

Rokwiia

WKR
I'm not used to a stiff boot but decided to try a pair. I ordered the Kenetrek Hardscrabble. Thet were exceedingly stiff and it seemed it would take forever to break them in. Stiff to the point they felt like cement blocks on my feet. This is not a knock on Kenetrek as I'm sure other boots in their category, such as Hoffman, are probably similarly stiff and would feel the same way.

I quickly decided rigidity like that was not for me. I bought a pair of Schnee Timberline and they are phenomenal. Much less stiff which works better for me.

Michael54

WKR
I'm not used to a stiff boot but decided to try a pair. I ordered the Kenetrek Hardscrabble. Thet were exceedingly stiff and it seemed it would take forever to break them in. Stiff to the point they felt like cement blocks on my feet. This is not a knock on Kenetrek as I'm sure other boots in their category, such as Hoffman, are probably similarly stiff and would feel the same way.

I quickly decided rigidity like that was not for me. I bought a pair of Schnee Timberline and they are phenomenal. Much less stiff which works better for me.
Hoffmans are stiff but not as stiff as the hardscrabble in my opinion

OP
M

MIKEINAK

FNG
also lookin at hanwag yukons, and crispi thors.....probably gonna go through guidefitter or the go hunt site.

I have 4 pair of the Kenetrek's the desert guide is a good boot non insulated also no waterproofing but they fit very well and gave me good support.It is like a hiking boot but mine fit really well the non insulated mountain guide is also very good with better ankle support, used 400gr mountain guide in colder weather and the lineman extreme for work.Used all these boots for work walking in rocks all day long while working on the railroad,they are expensive but I rotated them not to wear them out so quickly.With foot problems you may want to try some on and see if they might work for you.I have been very pleased with them shouldn't need any boots for a good while as long as my boys don't get a hold of them.

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
My regular shoe size is 11.
Love my Kennetrek mountain guide boots, sz 11.5 for extra socks, warmer feet in cold conditions. Usually wear breathable liner sock and 2 pairs woolies.
Would like to get a pair of their Hardscrabble non-insulated boots.

But I hunt AZ, CO for OTC archery and UT (if drawn) archery seasons too. Very pleased the last 2 years with my Crispi Summit boots for these warmer weather hunts. However these are size 11.5 as they run smaller in foot box than Kennetrek. Great lateral support, lightweight, damn good soles. Add a breathable sock liner, single wool sock all that's needed and my feet don't sweat the boots out. So much so that I purchased a 2nd pair when there was a great deal months ago.

Braaap

WKR
Look at the Scarpa Fuego. It’s designed for wildland firefighters. Very stiff, non insulated, no waterproof membrane. Great boot, I wear them on brush fires in the summer and also for hunts when there is no rain forecasted. Kenetrek also makes a wildland boot now and I just got a pair, but haven’t worn them enough to give a review. Both might be good options.

GregB

WKR
also lookin at hanwag yukons, and crispi thors.....probably gonna go through guidefitter or the go hunt site.
The yukons are good but you might have to size up a half size. Salewa ravens are good warm weather boots as well.

Elkhntr08

WKR
Carbon fiber insoles for whatever boot you pick. I’m dealing with the same hyperextention of the left big toe. Worst pain I can remember.
They’re helping me a lot.

nphunter

WKR
Scarpa Grand Dru. About the stiffest boot you will find without going full plastic. The way it’s designed they are still comfortable to wear for everyday hunting as well. I’ve had high end boots from lowas, zamberlan, Meindl and now scarpa. The Scarpa grand dru are far and away my favorite. I’ve also had some Crispi Nevada’s and tried some Kennetreks out. The Nevada’s are not a stiff boot and have a weird rocker, I sold mine after one shed hunting trip. I’ve never had more sore feet than a day shed hunting in steep country in those, might as well have been running around in tennis shores.

My biggest piece of advice would be to ignore the sizing label and end up with the boot that fits you the best. My Scarpas are a full size bigger than my Meindl’s, boots are all made of different lasts so just try some on and see what fits the best.

My regular shoe size is 11.
Love my Kennetrek mountain guide boots, sz 11.5 for extra socks, warmer feet in cold conditions. Usually wear breathable liner sock and 2 pairs woolies.
Would like to get a pair of their Hardscrabble non-insulated boots.

But I hunt AZ, CO for OTC archery and UT (if drawn) archery seasons too. Very pleased the last 2 years with my Crispi Summit boots for these warmer weather hunts. However these are size 11.5 as they run smaller in foot box than Kennetrek. Great lateral support, lightweight, damn good soles. Add a breathable sock liner, single wool sock all that's needed and my feet don't sweat the boots out. So much so that I purchased a 2nd pair when there was a great deal months ago.

^^^Ditto on the Crispis, put green Superfeet insoles in em.^^^

thewileyone

Lil-Rokslider
I like my Lowa Zephyr boots, my feet don't overheat in them BUT they do not have goretex. I had some Saloman Quest's that I wore for a while and upgraded to the Salomon Forces but they hurt my feet after about a month... so if you get Salomon, I wouldn't buy the Forces again.

I used to get hot spots but that ended several years ago when I changed to wearing only Merino Wool socks year round. I recommend buying good quality socks. Darn Tough are the toughest and longest lasting socks I have ever used, Lorpen's are second. Both fit well and don't slip. Stay away from FITS...

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Looking for a non insulated boot for hot weather....im unfortunately located in southern california for the forseeable future, and im starting to show signs of capsculitis, which is cuased by hyper extending of the toes.....im coping with this by wearing stiffer boots....for years now ive worn nike and oakley boots pretty much everyday which are super flexible and probably the root cuase of my problems......im passionate about covering ground with a pack and trying to stay /get"sheep shape"so far ive tried salomon 4d's and lowa caminos but they are way too hot not stiff enough and have too much flex at the top of the toes which makes them rub and pisses me off to no end...lookin at either kenetrek safaris or desert guides, lil iffy about kenetrek seems people love em or hate em
Check out our Kestrel boots. I've wore them over the summer in some 100F+ heat. Probably not the most breathable/coolest boot out there, but they worked fine for me.

- Matt

OP
M

MIKEINAK

FNG
so ended up with kenetrek desert guides, so far ive been breakin em in by walkin around the house and the neighborhood, definitely way stiffer than the lowa caminos....that were almost what i was looking for, in spite of the stiffness they are very comfortable just a bit snug on the top of my arches but i can tell its gonna be ok, they have a nice rocker that makes walking feel natural, and the pain in my hyper extended toe is not present while walking......all in all im a fan so far gonna wax em up when my tub arrives and give em a 100 miles and report back.

JNDEER

WKR
so ended up with kenetrek desert guides, so far ive been breakin em in by walkin around the house and the neighborhood, definitely way stiffer than the lowa caminos....that were almost what i was looking for, in spite of the stiffness they are very comfortable just a bit snug on the top of my arches but i can tell its gonna be ok, they have a nice rocker that makes walking feel natural, and the pain in my hyper extended toe is not present while walking......all in all im a fan so far gonna wax em up when my tub arrives and give em a 100 miles and report back.
Been a few months- what’s the report on them? How did they do in the heat?