Boots for NW Wisconsin tamarack swamp?

saile14

FNG
Moving hunts to NW Wisconsin, lot of area is tamarack swamp and I really want to avoid dealing with waders.

Any recommendations for dealing with hiking through swamp followed by long sits?
Muck Boots or other rubber boots? Is any single model good for all seasons? Or will I need two pairs (1 insulated, 1 not)?
Any gaiters that would hold up?

I hunt very similar terrain and would recommend a “muck-style” boot. I have found lacrosse to be the best brand. I mostly still hunt in November and use 800g boots, you would probably want 1200 for sitting or very late season. I do have uninsulated ones I use for early season scouting and sept bow hunts, but pretty much use 800’s all season.

Buzby

WKR
If you want a rubber boot to last, natural rubber is a must. Lechameau, or Gumleaf. They’re not cheap but will last decades, not seasons. I grouse hunt in northern wisconsin every year in a pair of leather lined Lechameaus. It was a hard pill to swallow, but they are super comfortable.

OP
S

saile14

FNG
I hunt very similar terrain and would recommend a “muck-style” boot. I have found lacrosse to be the best brand. I mostly still hunt in November and use 800g boots, you would probably want 1200 for sitting or very late season. I do have uninsulated ones I use for early season scouting and sept bow hunts, but pretty much use 800’s all season.

Found a friend with some Alphaburly 400s I can borrow. Going to try those for scouting this summer and will see how they work before I buy my own 800s for the fall. My current snow/ice-fishing boots are 600g, so I think the 800s will be more than enough warmth.

sick_lids

FNG
+
USIA can turn just about any neoprene/rubber boot into hip waders if you need them, they make indestructible waders...