Boots for sensitive Achilles

I've recently started having what I think is Achilles tendonitis from the back of my boot aggravating my Achilles.

I run a lot, and never really had the issue with running shoes unless I was really pushing it ... Like running 80 miles a week in the mountains with a lot of hard effort. I've always ran in less supportive shoes, shoe my feet and ankles are pretty strong.

I noticed in the last couple of years that my Achilles really doesn't like pressure being placed on it. I started skiing uphill in the winter for exercise and noticed that the boot really bothered my upper Achilles. Last year I bought a nice pair of scarpa plus evolution gtx and they do the same thing. I think it is due to the ankle support following the contour of the Achilles too closely and then aggravating my Achilles. I'm thinking I need a boot where the back of the boot is a bit more vertical from the heel counter to the ankle support so that it puts less pressure on my upper Achilles. I recently just made it so bad with my scarpa boots that I can't run. The small amount of pressure from my running shoes heel counter is just too painful. It even starts to hurt if running barefoot on the treadmill.

Yes, I usually hunt in some gtx running shoes or some super light hiking shoes. But I like to be able to wear boots in case of a longer packout or when I might encounter deeper water.

I attached a picture of my boot model for reference as to what I mean with the line of the heel counter. It has a dramatic sweep in towards the upper Achilles.

Does anyone have similar issues and a recommended boot?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201016-084242.png
    Screenshot_20201016-084242.png
    267.8 KB · Views: 9

xk319

FNG
No advice on the footwear, but check out two things. Check out achillies bursitis and haglunds deformity. Could be your Achilles pressing against your slightly more pointed heal bone (haglunds), or it could be the bursa just underneath the achilles and not the achilles at all. Just a couple things I researched after visiting the doctor for Achilles pain.

xk319

FNG
Actually wait....I do have a boot suggestion. I have UA Valsets. They're lightweight and feel like Nike Frees if you've felt those before. Super comfortable on my heal, can walk for days in em. As a result they are not heavily structured. That's not what the boot is made for. They won't last 10 years. Again not what they're made for.

UA has a new version now called the hovr dawn. No experience with that one but seems in the same vein as the Valsets. Check them out at bass pro or cabelas. See pic below.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201017-143959_Google.jpg
    Screenshot_20201017-143959_Google.jpg
    302.8 KB · Views: 2