Boots for Stand / Box sitting

JigStick

WKR
Here in PA it can get brutal cold during the season. A lot of our hunting is posting up in tree stands or elevated box blinds hunting over food plots or bedding areas. Im in need of a new pair of general work/hunting boots that will keep my feet dry and warm. Does anybody have experience with the following brands or models

Carolina 9528 Insultated Composite Toe boots

AC233CB2-EE05-424D-9312-EF781E26A808.jpeg

Timberland Pro 8in Boondocks composite toe

78A1C44A-60DD-4CB5-8C86-47128365DF19.png

Both come in 13 D which is what I need. Any feedback would be great

OP
JigStick

JigStick

WKR
I plan on it. That’s why I’m looking at boots with 4-800g insulate. Boots insulating covers aside I still need a new pair of boots to wear on the farm

Gearqueer

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve used a lot of boots in the cold, and my favorite tree stand boots are military surplus Vapor Barrier “Mickey mouse” boots. I used them while in the service in some pretty extreme cold and they are amazing. I tried to use different types of hinting boots after the service but ended up coming back to them.

The black ones are pretty damn good to about 15 degrees. Your feet will not get cold with the white ones which are rated to much cooler. You can find them for $40 or less often times.

Walk through creeks no problem, easy to clean, and not much heavier than the competition. No brainer

shader112

Lil-Rokslider
I've had 3 pairs of the timberland pros, although not the insulated ones and steel toe. But they are the most comfortable work boot I have worn. I wear 13 wides and they fit great

Mike 338

WKR
I don't care how much insulation is in your boot, your feet are going to get cold. Get yourself some insulated boot covers... they were a game changer for me.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

This ^,

I don't stand hunt but "insulated" boots still require movement to keep the tootsies warm. A guy has to seriously wrap up if he's to remain motionless "and" warm.

Luckyrxc

FNG
A few years ago I switched to Muck boots with neoprene for ice fishing. If it’s really cold I drop in Little Hotties toe warmers. My kids and wife have Bogs which are similar.
I’ve never been warmer.

Lowg08

WKR
I have the Carolina boots they SUCK. They ride in the tool box for back up. Just in case my meindls get wet. This work I’m talking about. I wear the Lowa evo extreme 200gr. Hunting

I've had the Carolina boots and while comfortable to wear the traction left lots to be desired,I now wear wolverines not sure the model anymore same size 13 wides,1000 gram composit toe and are comfy and good traction so far and in same price range.

HoffmanBoots

FNG
Rokslide Sponsor
Look at a pair of our double insulated Mountaineer Pacs. A removable heavy 9mm wool felt liner surrounds the foot and a rubber bottom with 200 grams of additional insulation and an additional 9mm felt insole. Available in 10", 12" and 14" heights. Check us out at www.hoffmanboots.com.
Oh and by the way, we make them here in Kellogg, Idaho.

Attachments

• 0000381_double-insulated-hoffman-mountaineer.jpeg
    0000381_double-insulated-hoffman-mountaineer.jpeg
    48.2 KB · Views: 65
For cold weather nothing beats rubber insulated boots, IMO. I have Lacrosse Alpha Burly Pro 1600g insulated boots that I am comfortable sitting in a tree well below zero.

Dry and warm for stationary hunting and dry and warm for work are two different products. Work boots will need some ventilation to avoid sweating and freezing, stationary boots will need a lot of heat retention.

sasquatch

WKR
Down boot covers.

Once in stand remove boots and put feetnin the down booties

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

260madman

WKR
Get one pair for hunting and one for work. Dual purpose is nothing but a compromise.

For stand hunting I use Sorel Glaciers and a medium weight wool sock. When it’s really cold I attach those toe warmers from Hot Hands. The liners are removable and in the liners the insole is removable and the footbed in the boot is removable.

Ive never used the arctic shield boot covers but my wife uses them and swears by them.

pbcarch

WKR
Here in NJ - I have tried the insulated lacrosse boots both with and without toe warners, all kinds of sock combinations ...still my feet got really cold (especially the balls of my feet and toes). Insulated hiking / hunting boots only work for fall temps.
So for winter , I finally dug back into my closet and pulled out my 30 year old Sorel pac boots. Leather uppers, rubber bottoms and about a 3/4 inch thick wool pull out liners. I think they are Stags?? The boots are big with lots of air space around for my feet ( I think that is key) and these are definitely my warmest boots and very waterproof. They are big and not very easy to climb up into the stand but they work. I try not to use toes warmers with these as may feet will sweat.
I have not seen these boots anymore and if I remember correctly when i got them they were quite expensive

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For me the key was finding the right socks to go with my boots. I have been using medium weight merino wool socks with Irish Setter Elk Trackers that are only 200 grams of insulation. Heavier and my feet get colder probably due to sweat.

Plus the elk trackers are one of the most comfortable boots right out of the box.

BillB

FNG
FWIW
Most of my whitetail hunting involves still hunting or tracking in the adirondacks or certain areas of the Catskills mountains . Opening day of rifle often entails an all day sit in a favored watch- if it's cold I'll just strap a pair of artic shields to my day pack- they are bulky but light- nothing a few compression straps can't solve. One of my favored watches is t a 2 mile,hike and substantial gain in elevation ( for an easterner lol)
Even if I my feet sweat some the artic shields keep me warm as toast. Have used them with great results in Saskatchewan as well where all day sits were the norm.

Bill

RCL

WKR
I started using Arctic Shields last year and they have done well.