Boots for Stand / Box sitting

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I have a pair of Rocky boots with 2000 grams of insulation. Got them a size larger. I have very wide feet and few boots fit. I can put a foot warmer in and generally stay pretty warm. Also got 3mm neoprene boots to wear under them

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

JR Lewis

FNG
For me the key was finding the right socks to go with my boots. I have been using medium weight merino wool socks with Irish Setter Elk Trackers that are only 200 grams of insulation. Heavier and my feet get colder probably due to sweat.

I can't agree more, too much insulation = sweat which results in cold feet! Too little and you'll never catch up. My solution - hiking boots to the stand, switch socks and boots, and put my hikers in a trash bag for scent control... wool socks and 800g Danners are my recipe...

Goatie

Lil-Rokslider
on cold MN rifle stand hunts I plan on my feet being miserable, but my feet never really get warm. I’ve mitigated misery by using 1200gram alpha burly or 1000 gram Irish setter leather boots. Once I’m in the stand I take the boot off, toss the chem warmers on my toes, then put the Arctic shields on. My feet don’t stay warm, but they aren’t miserable.

Spray your feet with aerosol anti-perspirant to reduce sweating, it helps. Boot blankets are awesome. I usually throw some chemical toe warmers in too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

renagde

WKR
Thorogood makes the best work boots, hands down. US made, better quality then Redwing and far cheaper. I have 3 pairs currently, the oldest being almost 8 years. My pair that I wear to work every day have a steel toe and are on the 2nd set of soles. I'm about ready to get them resoled for the 3rd time. They've survived 5 years working in the steel industry, which is notoriously hard on boots. The uppers are still in fine shape.

As far as hunting boots go, I use a pair of uninsulated hiking boots (Lowa), then slip Arcticshield boot covers over top when I climb into my stand. I don't have any problems of getting cold feet anymore. This setup is far superior to my previous Muck and Lacrosse rubber boot setup.

I plan on it. That’s why I’m looking at boots with 4-800g insulate. Boots insulating covers aside I still need a new pair of boots to wear on the farm

4-800 gram isnt much. Maybe im just a wimp when it comes to cold ( okay, no maybe, i absolutely am ) but that doesnt cut it. If my feet get cold, or my hands get cold, im miserable. The boots i wear in stand have 1400 grams of thinsulate. I have them bigger than my size so i can wear 2 pairs of heavy wool socks, put one of those insulating insoles in, and a chemical foot warmer insole. Thats what it takes for me to be comfortable in a treestand. I bought the biggest size of those boot covers i could find, and they wont fit over my boots. Id have to step down to my normal size 800gr boots to use them, so id lose a lot of insulation there and not be able to do the heavy socks and insoles, so that seems kind of pointless to me.

Murse15

FNG
I don't have experience with the Timberlands or Carolinas, but I won a pair of Schnee's Outlook Evo's (uninsulated) and they are the most comfortable boots I've ever worn. I wear them around town as well as in the woods. With good wool socks I've been good down to 20 degrees. It's my first season with them, but they're awesome so far.

Yo!!! Thast is a great tip!!

Totally doing that for now on, Thanks!

it works great! I have bigger calves and started doing it just for ease of putting the boots on or pulling off. Also made it great for tucking pant leg in my boots. Roll down, slip on, adjust pant lag, roll boot top over your pant leg.

To OP
I started wearing Muck Arctic Pro’s about 12yrs ago and would never wear anything else! Works great for Central Indiana weather, anyway!

I’ve found that insulated rubber boots work best. Your toes have room to move around and they are waterproof. The are the only boots I wear in winter now, even ice fishing.
That’s what I love about the Muck boots, rubber bottoms and neoprene (wetsuit material) upper. They are very comfortable for walking and sitting. I was actually surprised how comfortable they was to walk in (almost like tennis shoes)

PistolPete

Lil-Rokslider
Here in PA it can get brutal cold during the season. A lot of our hunting is posting up in tree stands or elevated box blinds hunting over food plots or bedding areas. Im in need of a new pair of general work/hunting boots that will keep my feet dry and warm. Does anybody have experience with the following brands or models

Carolina 9528 Insultated Composite Toe boots

View attachment 128152

Timberland Pro 8in Boondocks composite toe

View attachment 128153

Both come in 13 D which is what I need. Any feedback would be great

Just something to consider, but I think cold feet are an early indicator of a cold body. And the best solution to a cold body is more insulation. I prefer down but synthetic has its place.

Fdh

Lil-Rokslider
Hand warmers between poly liner and wool sock inside my muck boot

Professor

Lil-Rokslider
Consider getting a dedicated stand hunting boot. Work boots just will not cut it.

I’ve used a lot of boots in the cold, and my favorite tree stand boots are military surplus Vapor Barrier “Mickey mouse” boots. I used them while in the service in some pretty extreme cold and they are amazing. I tried to use different types of hinting boots after the service but ended up coming back to them.

The black ones are pretty damn good to about 15 degrees. Your feet will not get cold with the white ones which are rated to much cooler. You can find them for $40 or less often times.

Walk through creeks no problem, easy to clean, and not much heavier than the competition. No brainer

Micky Mouse boots are the only boots I have ever used that actually keep my feet warm. With temps in the single digits and sitting motionless for hours my feet stay very toasty. They are also very cheap. I really do not like walking long distances in them but on the stand the MM Boots are the answer.

bolo1187

FNG
I finally got some arctic shield boot covers this year and wish I would of years ago. Im able to wear thinner socks and boots and still be warm

Rubber boots for me 90% of my hunts

The same here most of the time. I wear either Darn Tough or Smartwool merino socks. If it's below 25 or so degrees, I'll add a 2nd sock at the tree before I climb. Boot blankets would likely be more convenient though. Dry feet are warm feet.

Richd

FNG
The warmest Muck versions are very warm. I have no problem on stand in in temps down to about 20 for 3-4 hours. If colder or longer on stand I use the thermacell proflex hd insoles. With these in my Mucks i can easily go a few more hours(or as long as the batteries last) and quite a bit colder and still stay comfortable. The key with these that I have found is to not let your feet get cold before turning them on otherwise at that point it's too late. These do a good job of just taking the edge off but certainly won't make your feet warm in extreme cold like some people may expect.

If a lot of walking is planned before an extended sit in the cold I'll use the arctic shield boot covers over my Asolo hikers with a few chemical hand warmers dropped in them. I can stay comfortable this way for a few hours in even the coldest temps.

As far as the chemical heat packs go- the Hothands are way more durable and last longer than the Little Hotties brand in my experience which have a tendency to break apart after some active use.

Last edited:

gjs4

Lil-Rokslider
Boot Blankets (article shield, etc) do wonders over any boot once you’re sitting still

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk