boots for training

tom338

FNG
I wear Kenetrek mountain extremes and really like them. I'm looking for a cheaper boot to wear in the summer while training. Hate wearing out my good boots training. Can someone recommend a boot that won't break the bank yet still be somewhat comfortable. Does not even need to be waterproof. I used to own a pair of regular work boots that I wore everyday and can't remember what brand they were, and could no longer find them. Have not been able to find a decent boot since (except the Kenetreks)

Wrench

WKR
Whites boots in spokane has a sale on danners right now. I bought a pair of mountain lite 2's for 2 bills out the door. They have others much cheaper, but these are also rebuildable. If danner is on your radar, I'd call the store. They're not listed on the website.

Mosby

WKR
I wear a pair of Asolo hiking boots I got on STP for training hikes. Asolo makes a quality boot, vibram soles etc. I will buy another pair when I wear these out this year.

OP
T

tom338

FNG
Zap--- I got a pair of those boots you recommend, exactly what I was looking for, thank you

*zap*

WKR
Zap--- I got a pair of those boots you recommend, exactly what I was looking for, thank you

Awesome, I have two pair of those......no waterproof membrane and waterproof membrane. They are really good rough terrain ruck hiking boots for a reasonable price. I really like the support in the heel box.

Last edited:

1shotgear

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have the same deal you are going through, I hate wearing my Kenetrek's during my running and hiking during the summer I now run the salomon 4D 3 gtx boots during the summer, I even run them during hunting season. I really love them they are so dang comfy and durable as well as waterproof. I have been running them for about three years and they look new still and are still as comfortable as when I first bought them. Plus the price on them are killer for a pair of great boots and I can also get you a discount on them as well.

I wear Kenetrek mountain extremes and really like them. I'm looking for a cheaper boot to wear in the summer while training. Hate wearing out my good boots training. Can someone recommend a boot that won't break the bank yet still be somewhat comfortable. Does not even need to be waterproof. I used to own a pair of regular work boots that I wore everyday and can't remember what brand they were, and could no longer find them. Have not been able to find a decent boot since (except the Kenetreks)

Last edited:
I buy trainers on eBay dirt cheap. Danner, bates, belville military boots. Usually well under $100. I run them until they fall apart.

Currently have a set danner tachyons I got for $60. I use them for backpack training and chores.

mcseal2

WKR
I wear the Salomon 4D GTX boots for training and some warmer hunts where cactus isn't an issue. I haven't used the Salomons in cactus, but had a similar looking pair let needles through, the Salomons might be better built and fine.

Either way they make good trainers. They seem to have enough ankle support I don't hurt myself training with a heavy pack, but also have enough flex that it strengthens my ankles training in them. I also wear the Mountain Extreme boots for hunts.

Nike makes a relatively inexpensive lightweight combat boot. Think of it as a running shoe with8 inch tops. Designed by a couple of army rangers for duty in the sandbox. I leave my Kenetreks in the truck, (not at home) wear the Nike’s for early season chukar in hell’s canyon. Train all summer with them.