Boots for TTH Challeng ?

Just wondering what most guys wear for the challenge. Do some of you wear your actual elk hunting boots to safely carry the big pack ? Seems like they would be hard to run in during the individual challenge.
Conversely,it seems like wearing a mid boot or running shoe with the 50 pounder trying to go as fast as possible could get sketchy.

yardwork

Lil-Rokslider
I've been having the same thought. Last year for the TTH I wore my Lowa Tibet for the meat-pack (80 lbs for Masters div) which was a good choice. This year I think I'm going to wear my Asolo hikers instead for TTH Wisconsin. I'd say it depends on terrain on whether to wear the heavier boot. I'm stronger this year and the weight is less so I'm going with a lighter boot. Good luck!

KHNC

WKR
I wear Salomon Speedcross 4's this year. No real need for boots this year. Much better off running with these instead. Especially so if you are doing the PA event. They are getting crazy with the loop runs this time. 600m plus! Then 2 mile pack run after. Prob have 4 miles in total.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I plan to go lighter than my typical hunting boot, but heavier than a running shoe.

Crispi WY or Lowa Renegde possibly.

The TTH challenge course has a lot more athletic movement than you would encounter on the hunting mountain so keep that in mind when you are thinking of wearing a big stiff boot. I went middle ground with my Salomon X Ultra Mid 2 GTX hiker and they worked out perfect. My buddy wore running shoes and although the challenge course worked out fine, he rolled his ankles a bunch on the pack and he was not happy with his decision. Most of the TTH events are in warmer weather, I wear my Salomons for summer/early fall hunts so it ended up being a realistic situation.

yardwork

Lil-Rokslider
I wore my running shoes

I wore my running shoes on neighborhood walks with a 50lb pack and my feet didn't like it. I use Saucony running shoes with a stability sole and it didn't provide enough support for me plus 50lbs. I think if I owned a pair of trail runners/hiking shoes I'd test them but I need some support for corners and such in the woods. I'll sacrifice a bit of athletic ability on box jumps and burpees for some confidence in the woods.

Good luck to us all. Forecast for TTH WI looks to be about 92 degrees and humid. My son is doing the Teen challenge and we plan to have a great day.

I wore my running shoes on neighborhood walks with a 50lb pack and my feet didn't like it. I use Saucony running shoes with a stability sole and it didn't provide enough support for me plus 50lbs. I think if I owned a pair of trail runners/hiking shoes I'd test them but I need some support for corners and such in the woods. I'll sacrifice a bit of athletic ability on box jumps and burpees for some confidence in the woods.

Good luck to us all. Forecast for TTH WI looks to be about 92 degrees and humid. My son is doing the Teen challenge and we plan to have a great day.

Saucony Triumph is what i used , the meat pack was on fire roads so not bad , a lot of guys had Salomon trail runners or 1/4 tops

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yardwork

Lil-Rokslider
So I stuck with my Asolo Drifters and they worked great. There was everything from running shoes to high ankle hiking boots on participants feet. We had long up hills on our Mountain Course and a long steep downhill so for me the ankle support was nice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
After shooting the course Saturday morning it was an easy choice for me to switch to my running shoes. For the challenge course the agility of the shoes was perfect. On the meat pack there was only a couple of small climbs and one downhill. Easy on those and then it was fine.

97° and humid, other than that the WI course was easy.