Boots for Western and Midwest hunting

bwjones

FNG
I am in the process of finishing up gear for a western backpack hunt this fall and I’ve hit a snag on boots. I live in Missouri and predominately stand/blind hunt. The temps in late fall are all over the place but can get pretty cold. My question is as far a boot that will be used primarily in Midwest but once a year or every other year be used out west on some type of hunt what is a go between choice? Do I try uninsulated then get thick socks for Midwest? Would a boot like a Crispi Nevada Insulated bridge the gap? Or would a boot like a Danner Pronghorn 400gram be good enough? Like I said I will only be out west once a year maybe so as far as mileage the boots wont see the amount most western style do.

I am also from the Midwest and go on/plan to go on the occasional more challenging terrain hunt. I went with Crispi Guides to get the extra 2 inches above the Nevadas for walking through the wet stuff. The hunters were 2” taller still, but I am on the short side and didn’t want a boot that tall. They are all very comfortable. If I wasn’t worried about crossing creeks and getting soaked in the turkey woods here in the Midwest, I would have went with the Nevada’s for weight and cost cutting. If I were out west more often than in the Midwest, I likely would want something stiffer than any of the three. But I think the Nevada’s and the Guides are great boots that fit the bill for us.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
B

bwjones

FNG
I am also from the Midwest and go on/plan to go on the occasional more challenging terrain hunt. I went with Crispi Guides to get the extra 2 inches above the Nevadas for walking through the wet stuff. The hunters were 2” taller still, but I am on the short side and didn’t want a boot that tall. They are all very comfortable. If I wasn’t worried about crossing creeks and getting soaked in the turkey woods here in the Midwest, I would have went with the Nevada’s for weight and cost cutting. If I were out west more often than in the Midwest, I likely would want something stiffer than any of the three. But I think the Nevada’s and the Guides are great boots that fit the bill for us.

Thanks I appreciate the feedback. Dropping $$$$ on boots is something I’ve never done because have always used rubber boots 600gr+. Don’t want to skimp on boots though for this type of hunting

xziang

WKR
Hate to say this but for out west I would go with an uninsulated boot. (Asuming you are hunting september and earky oct) I use a 400gr insulated boot in midwest for pheasant hunting and occasional deer hunt if I don't use insulated muck boots for stand hunting. Then when you head out west also take your danner 400gr as backup if you get caught in cold cold weather. I use lowa gtx for out west. Keep eye on STP for clearance boots.

OP
B

bwjones

FNG

ryjack70ss are your Crispi Guides insulated or non-insulated? If non do you still wear them when hunting in MO & IL? I’m only curious because I found your boot post and I hunt MO, IL, and KY so it would give me a good idea of overall boot set up. I still have insulated rubber boots I could use but want a lace up boot all around.

ryjack70ss are your Crispi Guides insulated or non-insulated? If non do you still wear them when hunting in MO & IL? I’m only curious because I found your boot post and I hunt MO, IL, and KY so it would give me a good idea of overall boot set up. I still have insulated rubber boots I could use but want a lace up boot all around.

They are 200g. So yes and no. I wear them now for everything. Many of my buddies wear the rubber calf high boots but I never liked them much for walking around. So these are my do all boots. Very comfortable, just as warm as my synthetic Columbia boots I had before, and actually waterproof.

In the tree stand for deer season, I wear the arctic shield boot covers and throw a couple hot hands in them. When I get in the stand, I put them over my boots and it keeps them toasty for hours. So, I don’t rely on the 200g to keep my feet worm for stand hunting, but it doesn’t bother me walking around in the heat either.

OP
B

bwjones

FNG
They are 200g. So yes and no. I wear them now for everything. Many of my buddies wear the rubber calf high boots but I never liked them much for walking around. So these are my do all boots. Very comfortable, just as warm as my synthetic Columbia boots I had before, and actually waterproof.

In the tree stand for deer season, I wear the arctic shield boot covers and throw a couple hot hands in them. When I get in the stand, I put them over my boots and it keeps them toasty for hours. So, I don’t rely on the 200g to keep my feet worm for stand hunting, but it doesn’t bother me walking around in the heat either.

Okay thanks for the info. I know they’ll probably be the best boots I’ve ever walked around in but with most of my hunting being where mostly sitting I’m having a hard time pulling the trigger on $300-$400 boots with little or no insulation

LaHunter

WKR
In reality, those applications are on opposite ends of the 'boot spectrum'. The boots that I wear in the mountains hunting mule deer and elk are not insulated and have pretty stiff soles for support in aggressive terrain. They are made for this purpose. These boots probably would not be great for sitting in a tree stand for several hours in 20 degrees. The wrong boots on a hunt in the mountains will end your hunt quickly with blisters and hurting (or possibly injured) feet. I would recommend getting the right boots for each application. Spending $$$ on mountain hunting boots is something that most of us that are / were new to mountain hunting had to accept eventually.

Last edited:

peterk123

WKR
I have been researching boots to death. I'm an easterner that will be living out west at some point in 2021. So I have been on this site constantly for months researching the basic things I will need that I do not have. Currently, most of my hunting is done using rubber boots. I think my longest hike to a spot is 3/4 of a mile. And even if I still hunt, I am lucky if I can go a mile in a day. My places are just too small, so footwear is not a big deal. I do own a decent pair of lightweight hiking boots, Oboz Bridgers. I put superfeet in them, and I have recently started the liner sock thing, just to see how things feel. I have also started to train a little with a 50 pack. The Bridgers are fine, but I doubt that I would want to be using them to climb a few thousand feet and several miles. Never mind side hilling.

I originally was researching packs, figuring that I will need something that would be suitable for load carrying. That research on this site for packs is what lead me to boots. I bet I have read every newbie thread about "what do I need for hunting out west". And everybody out west says boots. Your gun is fine, your pack is fine, and your sleeping gear is fine. Get boots.

There are a lot of very knowledgeable folks on Rokslide. This is a no bull crowd. Get boots. I am off to Montana in three weeks. I will be very close to Bozeman. First stop is Schnees. Second stop is Kenetrek. And only, and I mean only, if I pulled the trigger on boots........ I will visit Stone Glacier and Mystery Ranch. I still want that pack :)

Z71&Gun

Lil-Rokslider
I am in the process of finishing up gear for a western backpack hunt this fall and I’ve hit a snag on boots. I live in Missouri and predominately stand/blind hunt. The temps in late fall are all over the place but can get pretty cold. My question is as far a boot that will be used primarily in Midwest but once a year or every other year be used out west on some type of hunt what is a go between choice? Do I try uninsulated then get thick socks for Midwest? Would a boot like a Crispi Nevada Insulated bridge the gap? Or would a boot like a Danner Pronghorn 400gram be good enough? Like I said I will only be out west once a year maybe so as far as mileage the boots wont see the amount most western style do.
In my opinion, if they keep you warm sitting in a blind or stand, they'll be more than warm enough for spot and stalk. I have tried a lot of "mid range" boots on the market. The Irish Setter Elk Trackers are far and away the best boiys I've owned. Here in eastern Washington I use them for everything from 90° backcountry bear hunts to sub freezing pheasant hunts. I went with the uninsulated version and have never been too cold. They're surprisingly waterproof. They're a bit heavy but they make up for it in comfort. I am very particular about my socks, this helps, but I really like my elk trackers.

Attachments

• 20201022_080850.jpg
    20201022_080850.jpg
    533.2 KB · Views: 24

Z71&Gun

Lil-Rokslider
In my opinion, if they keep you warm sitting in a blind or stand, they'll be more than warm enough for spot and stalk. I have tried a lot of "mid range" boots on the market. The Irish Setter Elk Trackers are far and away the best boiys I've owned. Here in eastern Washington I use them for everything from 90° backcountry bear hunts to sub freezing pheasant hunts. I went with the uninsulated version and have never been too cold. They're surprisingly waterproof. They're a bit heavy but they make up for it in comfort. I am very particular about my socks, this helps, but I really like my elk trackers.
When I sit in a layout blind for turkeys or go on a late season whitetail sit, I use those light brown Carhart socks from amazon that are ridiculously thick with elastic bands. Great socks. Then I tuck my pants in my boots for extra insulation and throw on a pair of cheap gaiters over the top. With that I would take these boots on just about any trip. Especially if I could only bring one pair.

Pn8hall

WKR
I am In Missouri also and I deer hunt in North Central MO. I have been out west for the last 4 years for a 7-10 day hunt. I bought the Crispi Nevadas with 200g insulation. They are hands down the best piece of gear I have bought. Its a totally different world of boot needs between MO and hunting out west. You will appreciate the stiffer boots while sidehilling at 10,000 feet. I carry the arctic shield boot blankets when glassing out west. Here in the midwest that combo is just not warm enough for me sitting in a treestand. I wear Muck arctic pros or Lacrosse Alpha Burlys with 1600g. The rubber boots obviously excel at creek crossings and what not. My 2 cents throw down the cash for boots used out west and stick with whatever you use here currently. With only a week on the western boots every year you will get lots and lots of years out of your $300-$400 boots. Would not be unheard of to get 10 years out of them if you take care of them and treat the leather appropriately.

tgus59

Lil-Rokslider
I wear uninsulated Crispi Nevada's no matter the hunt. They are great out west and for active hunts, and if you do it right, can take you through late season in the Midwest, no problem.

-Anti antiperspirant for feet is key if your feet sweat much
-Walk slow, and dress light on the way in
-Darn Tough wool socks
-Loosen boots after my hike for added toe movement/circulation

Under 20ish degrees I will also add:
-Arctic Shield boot blanket put on right away, with a hand warmer inside
-Closed cell pad for feet to rest on, especially if tree stand hunting

I used to wear Alphaburly rubber boots, but there is just no way to keep your feet from sweating in those!

I'm also in Missouri and I finally landed on owning two pairs of boots. I wear my Crispis around here when hiking or getting into some of our rockier terrain. But the sole kills my feet if I put on multiple miles on flat ground.

I have a pair of Irish Setters that I absolutely love. I'm on my second season with them and they are getting fairly worn but I can usually find them on sale for sub $150.

Then there's the whole line up of knee highs: Mucks for cold, Lacrosse for warm weather.

I bought a used pair of Nevada's uninsulated this fall in anticipation of next falls CO hunt. I've been testing them and am amazed at how warm they are if your moving a bit. When hiking in near zero temps my feet were staying warm. When not moving at all, they of course didn't fit the bill to well. But I hope to experiment with neos overshoes and see how that goes. My feet sweat like crazy and any insulated boots I wear besides wool liner pacs get so wet they hardly do me any good.

Insulation aside, I love the fit of the Nevada's and think they will be a great upland bird boot. Happy hunting! furfishngame

I bought a used pair of Nevada's uninsulated this fall in anticipation of next falls CO hunt. I've been testing them and am amazed at how warm they are if your moving a bit. When hiking in near zero temps my feet were staying warm. When not moving at all, they of course didn't fit the bill to well. But I hope to experiment with neos overshoes and see how that goes. My feet sweat like crazy and any insulated boots I wear besides wool liner pacs get so wet they hardly do me any good.

Insulation aside, I love the fit of the Nevada's and think they will be a great upland bird boot. Happy hunting! furfishngame
I was also impressed with this. I hiked a couple weekends ago in 17 degrees in my Crispis (Non insulated) and my feet never bothered me a bit. Wore then again later to pheasant hunt around 25 degrees with a light weight wool hiker sock and the only time they got cold is when we stood around for an hour for lunch.

I'm convinced it's something to do with the foam stuff they have in the sides, tongue, etc. They may not be insulated, but there's a lot of meat so to speak. I'm sure as I wear them more everything will get more mashed and the insulating properties will diminish. I also think the solid suede leather helps as theirs very little area to catch snow and ice to build up. Happy hunting! furfishngame