Boots for wide feet

Flatland Newbie

Lil-Rokslider
Ah, So I have wide feet and in addition to that, I have a medical condition (neuroma) so I basically have to ware the footwear that fits me not the one that I like. and its fine for everyday use. I'm planning to hunt out west and need a pair of boots. Thinking of custom built probably. Tried Meindell and Lathrop and Sons. The first one fits okay but is not stiff enough. The Lathrop is a great boot, i love the looks and how it feels for the first half an hour and then my toes start to feel numb. I can do the surgery on my feet but not 100% sure I want to take that rout right now. It feels like if I could find a pair of boots in EEE or EEEE, that mightt work. EE is not wide enough.
What would be your recommendation as far as wide boots or custom built manufacturer.
Definitely do not want to drop a thousand dollars on boots but anything under that mark would consider.

Westco Boot Company
They do custom for approximately 750
I have had 2 pair made over the last 30 years ,
great quality and service!

Bob

You may want to post in the footwear forum to get a few more responses.

I am a 13EEE. I have had good luck with Crispi Thor’s and Idaho. Also some danners. While danner isn’t the best quality they make some really whacky sizes. Might be worth looking into them.

OP
Flatland Newbie

Flatland Newbie

Lil-Rokslider
Thank you for the responses, I really really really don’t want to go to danner route.
I will post that in footwear form. Thank you.

mlgc20

WKR
I typically wear a 10.5 4E in New Balance. I have been very comfortable in my Lowa Renegade Mids wearing a 10.5 EE. I replaced the standard insoles with Superfeet Blues. For the first time in 20 years, I actually look forward to wearing my boots.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
I'm probably a 10.5 EEE/EEEE depending on the cut. I wear some size 11's. The boots I wear are Rocky's. I've worn them on hunts in Colorado and Wyoming both times in the snow and I'm happy with their comfort and performance. It's easy to find them at 20% off and I think they were around $200, maybe less.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

OP

It would help to know what you mean by wide - stand on a piece of paper, mark the greatest width and length and measure. I have a wide foot with a high arch and high instep, so I am familiar with the fear of buying boots online or asking for recommendations. When communicating fit w/the maker, I am ready to share my foot measurements (10.25" long and 4.40" @ widest). Size in general is one thing, sharing your specific measurements can spare you a lot of remorse.

How I go about buying online shoes/boots: I always compare to Nike sizing cuz Nike has had a lot more practice than most - if there's an objective standard, it's Nike. My MetCon Nikes are 9W + a history of Nikes that all fit the same. My Salomon Ultra X mid, Crispi Idaho GTX (recent, new), Kenetrek pacs, and Lowa Sheephunter sizes are all 9W. All have the same fit. In terms of wide-foot comfort, I will always recommend Salomon for a softer hiker. For rigid, Crispi has a bit wider toe box than typical - their standard width is most others' wide.

Hope this helps!

Last edited:

FLAK

WKR
14W here. A couple years ago I went through the buy/ship/return nightmare.
Many Wides I could not even get my foot in the boot (Lowa/Salomon/Oboz).
I finally found my boot with Keen Targhee 3's.

tylerfenn

FNG
I am an adventurer. Few months back, I suffered from wide feet but it doesn't lowered my passion of hiking and hunting. I was advised by my physiotherapist to use this KEEN Men’s Targhee II Hiking Boot and I swear it helped me a lot. I am very comfortable in these boots and I would recommend you to try these boots for wide feet.