Boots for Wide Feet

Unckebob

WKR
Essentially, I have bricks for feet. They are wide with a very high instep.

For casual boots, something like a mic toed chukka typically fit best. Often, "good" hiking, hunting boots are not offered in wide sizes. At this point, I am not looking for heavily insulated boots. Just waterproof and sturdy for hiking.

Surely, someone on this site is in a similar boat with respect to fitment and point me in the right direction.

11boo

WKR
My feet are duck like 11.5 and come to the D measurement on the foot tool thing. D width never fits. Picked up 12 W schnees Timberlines and they are perfect.
I have also had good luck with Keen Wides, they just don’t last more than a couple years.

Jbehredt

WKR
Hanwag Ancash. Their comfort fit extra, I believe it’s called is specifically for duck feet like ours. Surprisingly affordable considering the build quality.

I also have wide feet and have been looking for a pair of uninsulated Boots. The first pair I found that fit really well was the Lowa Tibet (wide size). Instantly when I slipped my foot in I thought these were the ones. Problem was when I’d walk, since they’re so stiff, the ankles rubbed my shin/ ankle really badly. So they went back.

The other pair, that I think most people might disagree with, are the Salewa Rapace. Just their standard sizing. For whatever reason these fit me like a glove. They’re also very stiff, but do not rub on me whatsoever. These are the boots i kept and will be wearing most of the season.

One bonus pair, which are what I’m trying to replace, is the Danner Explorer 650 (also the wide size). The price on these have gone up significantly since I bought mine. These are hands down the most comfortable boot I’ve ever worn. They basically feel like tennis shoes. But they’re not as waterproof as they claim. Your feet will get wet if you’re in snow or water. It does take some time for that to happen. But it will happen. You might be able to fix this with some waterproofing spray. But I refuse to pay more than double what I paid the first time for the same pair of boots: that’s the only reason I didn’t get these again

FLATHEAD

WKR
I havent tried all but Keen's are the only Wides that I have tried, that are actually Wide.
I know I tried Lowa's, Saloman's and a couple more that I couldnt even get my foot IN the boot.

Lowa makes multiple varieties of their boots in wide sizes. I'm not sure how they will feel for a high instep though. Their boots are excellent for my wide, flat feet.

What kinda terrain, weight and stiffness do ya want? I have duck feet too. 10EEE

IMGP4225.jpg

The boots I were wet bogs are different from those I use in the desert which are different from those I wear above the treeline.

Last edited:

2019Remi

FNG
For most hiking and hunting I've been using the wide Merrell Moab Mid's in ventilator and waterproofs. With good merino wool socks, these Merrell's get me down to around freezing while hiking around.