Boots for Wide Feet

ut1031

FNG
Essentially, I have bricks for feet. They are wide with a very high instep.

For casual boots, something like a mic toed chukka typically fit best. Often, "good" hiking, hunting boots are not offered in wide sizes. At this point, I am not looking for heavily insulated boots. Just waterproof and sturdy for hiking.

Surely, someone on this site is in a similar boat with respect to fitment and point me in the right direction.
You should look at Whites Lochsa.Whitesboots.com, they are the GrandeRonde series. I wear them for my fickle wide feet!

Schnee's

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Essentially, I have bricks for feet. They are wide with a very high instep.

For casual boots, something like a mic toed chukka typically fit best. Often, "good" hiking, hunting boots are not offered in wide sizes. At this point, I am not looking for heavily insulated boots. Just waterproof and sturdy for hiking.

Surely, someone on this site is in a similar boat with respect to fitment and point me in the right direction.
how wide we talkin... haha. We make an EE wide in most of our boots. Lowa does make an extra wide in some of theirs if you're having a hard time finding something.

yfarm

WKR
Bought some Tibets in W, returned as too narrow, bought Lathrop’s in W and are truly W. Regular width Lathrop’s fit better than the Lowa wides. tried on La Sportiva Trangos, way too tight in the toe box.

OP
U

Unckebob

WKR
how wide we talkin... haha. We make an EE wide in most of our boots. Lowa does make an extra wide in some of theirs if you're having a hard time finding something.
EE is fine, but my high instep often means certain shoes won't fit. Imagine a brick.

When I buy golf shoes, I cannot buy anything European and have to get the Footjoys with the highest "last?"

I'm a little late to this party but been fitting (and fighting) size 8 Wide feet for 40 years.
New Balance has been great for athletic shoes.
In boots, I have had good luck recently with Vasque hikers (Bitterroot), and my most recent purchase is Zamberlan Guide 960 GTX.

The Vasque hikers have been amazing. Just amazing.
Great fit, still waterproof after 9 years of heavy use, and now they're slowly dying of old age.
The cinch eyelets ate laces like grandpa drank bourbon but that's really my only criticism.

I'm a year in on the Zamberlans and they are a notch above the Vasque in terms of support and structure. The workmanship (Romania) is excellent. The lacing system can be adjusted from relaxed to too tight with lots of range in between. One observation is the soles seem more narrow at the heel...I find myself having to focus on not rolling an ankle if I step on a stone in the heel area moreso than the Vasque Vibram soles.

My hunting boots have been Danners which I look forward to never buying again.
Three pairs, Pronghorn (cracked across the sole way before they were worn out) High Country (horrible rand, feel every pebble-worst chukar boot you could buy and uppers failing at the seams and eyelets) and the USA-made Elk Ridge (fits waaaay different than other Danners, loose and sloppy maybe because they're uninsulated? Not impressive in any way).
Danner customer support has been mediocre at best.

Ask me about 40 years experience with ski boots.

SpringM1A

Lil-Rokslider
I found myself needing a wider boot to fit a pair of orthotics. The Sportiva and Scarpa boots I had been using while still good for steeper snow climbs we're not great for those longer marches, and were generally too tight especially in front so I found a pair of Keen boots that work well. It seems a lot of their models have wider toe boxes, but don't think any of these models had crampon welts on the front or back so you'd probably have to use a normal adjustable strap crampon not one with clips. TNF boots/trail runners also have a wider fit that might be worth looking into.

I have EE-EEE feet with a wide arch. I had some asolo wides that worked for me but haven’t bought a pair in years. For me, danners in EEE and wide Merrells (mostly MOABs) work well. I have a set of kenetrek mountain extremes that work too. By far my favorite and best fitting are Cripis. I have to pull to get my thors on. No issues with others and the fit has been superb.

I just recieved my zamberlan wasatch with the wide lasts. These are the widest boots I have ever tried. They are almost but not quite too wide!
Any chance you might be willing to measure and post here the width on the forefoot of the factory insole? I have the regular width ZBPK Wasatch in a size 44 that I can post that as well if you are willing. We might help out a few folks with the data.

Blackstorm

Lil-Rokslider
I too have wide feet but what I thought was a normal arch, I fit the Keen and Merrells fine they just don't last long enough, I have a pair of Danner vitals that are insulated but my new joy is the Kenetrek Corrie 3.2 it has a generous toe box, snug heel and the best high arch support I've ever had. They are a heavier hiker than the Keen or Merrell but if they last, I will be happy. They are heavier and I'm only doing my training for out west currently, but I've put over 50 miles on them so far and no leg fatigue. I'm going to try them in So Dak for upland in mid-October but so far, they feel great

Drenalin

WKR
Surprised to see recommendations for Crispi in a thread on wide boots. My feet are not even duck-like and Crispi's toe box squeezes up too much and too quickly even in a wide model. It's not a problem at the office or on flat ground, but it becomes a nightmare in steep terrain (which ironically is the only reason I would need a boot as stiff as this). Mine are the Summit GTX's.

I'm currently wearing Merrell MOABs because (1) they're actually wide enough, (2) they're cheap enough to replace every season - they unfortunately do not hold up well to anything off an established trail. I'd like them to be stiffer, but they're a decent compromise for where I hunt versus continuing to throw hundreds at boots that simply don't fit well.

Surprised to see recommendations for Crispi in a thread on wide boots. My feet are not even duck-like and Crispi's toe box squeezes up too much and too quickly even in a wide model. It's not a problem at the office or on flat ground, but it becomes a nightmare in steep terrain (which ironically is the only reason I would need a boot as stiff as this). Mine are the Summit GTX's.

I'm currently wearing Merrell MOABs because (1) they're actually wide enough, (2) they're cheap enough to replace every season - they unfortunately do not hold up well to anything off an established trail. I'd like them to be stiffer, but they're a decent compromise for where I hunt versus continuing to throw hundreds at boots that simply don't fit well.
Moab fan as well. I started running mine with a super feet green insole a couple of years ago. It boost sole stiffness to another level that I really appreciate off trail. Still not ideal but they are my go to for milder hiking conditions.

ROJO23

FNG
I am typically a 12 EE to EEEE with very high arches too. I actually had surgery to lower my arches. I really like the Kenetrek mountain extremes. They fit perfectly. only boots before that for me have been danners.

Any chance you might be willing to measure and post here the width on the forefoot of the factory insole? I have the regular width ZBPK Wasatch in a size 44 that I can post that as well if you are willing. We might help out a few folks with the data.
I just pulled out the factory insoles. They are an even 4" wide at the widest point of the forefoot. I had to trim just a tiny sliver off of the forefoot of the superfeet timberlines I replaced the factory insole with.

I just pulled out the factory insoles. They are an even 4" wide at the widest point of the forefoot. I had to trim just a tiny sliver off of the forefoot of the superfeet timberlines I replaced the factory insole with.
3 3/4" on the regular width
Thank you

worx53

WKR
Crispi Thor 2 Wides are awesome and light been wearing them often early seasons and the Lowa Tibet Wides bomb proof always .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk