Boots Great One Year but Blisters the Next?

TX_Diver

WKR
Going on my 3rd season with a pair of Crispi Colorado's. I wear them a lot during the season but only 1x per week leading up to it during training hikes, etc. Never had an issue with blisters the past 2 years.

This year 2 weeks ago I threw em on and went for a walk around the block (4 miles) with 35 lbs in the pack. The boots chewed up the top of my little toe and I was getting a fairly solid hotspot right on the balls of both feet about 3.5 miles in.

I was wearing different socks than normal. After that hike I did notice that the footbeds had slid forward slightly (Lathrop and Sons) so I moved them back and repeated the next week with a different pair of socks. Significant improvement but still a little rubbing on the balls of the feet and a little issue with both small toes. Today with no weight and very thin socks the balls of my feet were fine but I was getting a similar effect on the top of my little toes.

Anyone ever had their foot change so much in a year that your favorite pair of boots wouldn't work for you? I have another pair of boots to wear but prefer the crispi's, especially during the bow season.

Other suggestions to try? I have some more socks, and even another set of footbeds I can play with if needed.

Sled

WKR
Sounds like a sizing or lacing issue. Your foot seems to be slipping forward. Do you have hammer toes? Do thicker socks stop the extra movement?

Yep, sizing or lacing or wear-and-tear issue whereas the boot is breaking down and not fitting your foot the same as in the past. Personally, I've never had that happen to the point that it caused injuries, but I've never owned any Crispi boots. If it were me though, I'd grab a new pair and see if they fit any better than the old pair. If they don't, then could be time to change style number or manufacturer.

Rt_nevada

FNG
I had something similar happen with a pair of salewas. Bought them and used them for a season and put around 100 miles on them. Then next season I busted them out and used the same socks and everything as the previous year and developed blisters on my pinkie toes. I had started trail running a lot in between seasons so I was thinking the foot had slightly grown wider or flattened out a bit? Im no scientist, im not sure if that’s a thing? But I ended up just loosening the laces in the toe box so my foot had a little more wiggle room which seems counterintuitive, but it resolved my issue. I have about 50 miles in them since loosening the laces and have yet to get another blister on my pinkie toe.

WKR
In addition, inserts do wear out. I update mine every few hundred miles.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I had the same problem with Lathrop insoles, they wouldn't stay put at all even through a short hike. They slide all over the place and ride up the sides of the boots. They sent me new ones because they said they had a bad batch (2010 or 2011), but the new ones did the same thing. Been using Superfeet Orange exclusively now since 2011 with great success. Also, what kind of liner sock are you using? I NEVER wear my hunting boots without my polypropylene liner socks and thin merino boots socks over those.

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
I had the same problem with Lathrop insoles, they wouldn't stay put at all even through a short hike. They slide all over the place and ride up the sides of the boots. They sent me new ones because they said they had a bad batch (2010 or 2011), but the new ones did the same thing. Been using Superfeet Orange exclusively now since 2011 with great success. Also, what kind of liner sock are you using? I NEVER wear my hunting boots without my polypropylene liner socks and thin merino boots socks over those.

These liners were from 2019 I think. I don't wear a liner sock. I tried them before but it seemed like they made my feet slip significantly more. Any tips on em?

These liners were from 2019 I think. I don't wear a liner sock. I tried them before but it seemed like they made my feet slip significantly more. Any tips on em?

When in hip boots and while wearing mountain hunting boots, I wear a thick wool/polyester blend sock over a thick water-wicking liner sock. My feet thank me for that, each and every day.

Poser

WKR
I’ve experienced that with a pair of trail shoes before. I’d try alternative lacing for the toe box next and see if that solves you issue -sounds like you need some extra volume in there. Superfeet “carbons” are low profile and open up some additional space in the toe box compared to other insoles.

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
Tried em with some different socks a few days ago and better but definitely still a rubbing that didn't use to be there. I liked the boots because they were pretty forgiving and even if I didn't lace them perfectly they would still fit. They are 11.5 Regular width.

Today I did 3 miles with the Lowa Tibet 11 Wides and had a similar issue. These had actually already been modded by Lathrop and Sons to eliminate a rubbing issue so maybe I'll reach out to them and get their thoughts this weekend.

For those of you suggesting alternate lacings, what do you mean exactly?